• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official EURO 2012 thread

Who will win Euro 2012?

• Spain

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • Germany

Votes: 54 55.1%
  • Holland

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • France

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Italy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Croatia

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Poland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ukraine

• Other

• Total voters
Bilbao (Llorent's club) play a possession game too. And they really attack with pace at their best. I think Llorente would fit perfectly into their side, plus it would give them a plan B i.e. an aerial threat when teams look to frustrate them. He's easily been one of the top 10 strikers in Europe over the last couple of seasons.

I'm also worried that teams will start to play 6 in midfield so that they don't get dominated by Spain/Barca.

I am not saying Llorente is not a good player but his strength is not as a link up player ( unlike Villa) Bilbao get the ball into him quicker and he either lays it off or has a strike. The CF for Spain would need to be a one:two player more often and Llorente is not that type pf player.

If teams want to counter Spain then play 2-6-2 would be possibly way to go? If Spain play without a striker then having a back 4 is largely redundant providing that your side's midfield keeps with theirs which is admittedly a big ask. You then have two strikers for when your team does get possession to try to push home the advantage.

I think there could be some unusual tactics employed in yo the future as the Spain 4-6-0 formation heralds a new dawn for tactical thinking.

If teams want to counter Spain then play 2-6-2 would be possibly way to go? If Spain play without a striker then having a back 4 is largely redundant providing that your side's midfield keeps with theirs which is admittedly a big ask. You then have two strikers for when your team does get possession to try to push home the advantage.

I think there could be some unusual tactics employed in yo the future as the Spain 4-6-0 formation heralds a new dawn for tactical thinking.

2-6-2 would be a disaster imo. I think a 3-5-2 (or 3-5-1-1) would be a good shout, back 3 to keep it just outside the box, wing backs with strict orders to always track the full backs as Spain doesn't have much width apart from those and then a hard working midfield 3, turning into a midfield 4 with a forward/attacking midfielder dropping deep. Or, what Italy did against Spain in the group stages.

I don't think Spain will use their no striker formation when Villa is back.

I think to beat spain you play a 226 formation

two centre backs

two wing backs who play between midfield and defence

six strikers to attack those ****s at the back.

With that formation the game may finish 6-5 to the opposition but they would still win.

After all that England are up to 4th in the Fifa rankings. No seriously http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/index.html

Makes sense imo. It's a major tournament, South American teams weren't involved and the teams who did better than us (Spain, Germany, Italy & Portugal) were either too far ahead of us anyway or were too far behind us to catch us. Kind of a little surprised we didn't go ahead of Uruguay.

Still doesn't represent where we are footballing-wise.

Makes sense imo. It's a major tournament, South American teams weren't involved and the teams who did better than us (Spain, Germany, Italy & Portugal) were either too far ahead of us anyway or were too far behind us to catch us. Kind of a little surprised we didn't go ahead of Uruguay.

Still doesn't represent where we are footballing-wise.

Were probably the 6th or 7th best in Europe. Uruguay are better and Argentina and Brazil are still better. I'd rank us about 10th.

UEFA will share 100 million euros among the clubs who released players for the Euro 2012 finals and qualifying competition, the European Clubs Association (ECA) said on Tuesday.

The amounts range from 3.095 million euros in the case of Bayern Munich to a more modest 3,494 euros for English lower-tier club Barnsley, Finland's Jyvaskyla and Turkey's Bucaspor.

A total of 575 clubs will benefit from the so-called solidarity payments which are regarded as a form of compensation for the time players spend away from their clubs when they represent their country.

It follows an agreement between UEFA and ECA, which represents around 200 European clubs, signed in March.

The other top beneficiaries were Real Madrid (2.996 million euros), Barcelona (2.210 million), Emirates Marketing Project (2.069 million) and Juventus (2.023 million).

Inter Milan, whose squad are largely made up of South American players, received a modest 301,445 euros, less than the Czech Republic's Viktoria Plzen, who received 465,390.

FC Vaduz, who supply the bulk of the Liechtenstein national side and play in the Swiss second division, were rewarded with 209,644 euros, more than Bundesliga clubs Eintracht Frankfurt, Fortuna Dusseldorf, Freiburg and Hoffenheim.

Clubs are rewarded for each player called up by a national team with the exact amount depending on how long the player spends with the team and other factors.

Different scales of payments were used for the qualifying competition and final tournament.

"I am delighted that we are able to provide clubs with financial benefits from UEFA Euro 2012 to reward their contribution to the competition," said UEFA President Michel Platini.

"We witnessed a truly fantastic UEFA European Football Championship final this summer, and I am pleased that the clubs can now also be associated with the event."

http://fourfourtwo.com/news/euro2012/108286/default.aspx

While it seems fair that UEFA compensates the clubs who pay the salaries while the players are on international duty, it does just seem more of the usual business of enriching the big clubs. The big clubs can afford the more expensive players largely because of the lucrative payments from UEFA's club competitions.

Small clubs who don't have internationals still have to pay their players, yet the fixtures are suspended. Given they rely almost entirely on gate money, shouldn't they be compensated rather than handing millions to Bayern, Real, Barcelona, Juventus, City and other cash-strapped clubs.

Back