1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

*** The Official Boxing/UFC/MMA thread ***

Discussion in 'Randomination' started by Midfield Maestro, 17 Jan 2012.

1. Grays_1890

Grays_1890 Milija Aleksic

Wilder v Ortiz is a very decent fight in my opinion as is Fury next for either.

What I love like you is AJ and Hearn getting no traction because they are trying to play on the belts which really no one really cares about, people wanna see fights. AJ Ruiz is a massive donk of a fight

2. Parklaner81

Parklaner81 Wilson Palacios

The size difference between Joshua and Ruiz is quite shocking. Somehow I didn't expect it to be quite that extreme. Any lingering thoughts I might have had about this not being a total farce just ended.

3. ringo

ringo Eidur Gudjohnsen

Of course shorter does not necessarily mean no chance - Tyson/Holyfield etc - but in this case probably does
    Interesting that Joshua has come in substantially lighter. Ruiz does have relatively quick hands and presumably was thinking he could afford/needed to carry a bit of extra weight. I'd have suggested coming in much lighter and trying to run away for 12 rounds and win on points.

Looks like AJ is frozen out after this fight, now that Wilder-Fury 2 is done. Who is left to fight in the US? Ortiz after he has been beaten twice by Wilder. Usyk - interesting but not much of a draw for US audience. Whyte - the same. Pulev....come on Eddie...really. So much for breaking the US.

4. Parklaner81

No of course, and actually the difference looked far less pronounced at the weigh in for some reason, but that previous face-off they did (the day before?) really did look quite farcical to me.

Serves Hearn & AJ right in my opinion. I'm personally hoping they'll be bounced into fighting Whyte, which they clearly didn't want to do before now but would actually be a massive fight, over here at least. Will be interesting to hear Hearn's attempts at avoiding it, with both Wilder and Fury off the menu...

5. fernadez

fernadez Ben Thatcher

Joshua losing has cheered me up a bit at least.

SteveAWOL likes this.
  6. Parklaner81

Wow.

Dillian Whyte must really be kicking himself for not taking the Wembley date now.

scaramanga likes this.
  7. jts1882

jts1882 Chris Armstrong

That rather undoes the carefully managed record.

What a career move for Ruiz? A late substitute for the doped guy and three weeks later he is multi-belt champion.

8. the dza

the dza Christian Ziege

I just watched this, brilliant Ruiz! Looked like a big fat lump but his hand speed caused Joshua all sorts of problems and he really did hurt him.

Will it be a Lennox Lewis style blip for Joshua? Lennox lost twice against, but he came back and beat those opponents convincingly. Joshua is not Lennox Lewis though, not even close. AJ has also been hurt in several fights, he's got out of jail somewhat against Whyte and Klitchko and managed to over-power them.

Great to watch though. I'm on the Dillian Whyte express to undisputed champion!

9. the dza

the dza Christian Ziege

They will do the re-match in the UK, just reading. I think Joshua should go to the states again for it.

10. Grays_1890

Grays_1890 Milija Aleksic

I will take it all back, I totally underestimated Ruiz, all the fight does it go to serve further to how over hyped AJ is

MKSpur likes this.
  11. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL John Lacy

Modern day Frank Bruno, knowwhatimeanharry

ringo likes this.
  12. the dza

the dza Christian Ziege

To be fair to Bruno, he at least took on Tyson when Tyson was the baddest man on the planet (first fight between them in the late 80s).

13. 7percent

7percent Pascal Chimbonda

What was everyone's thought on Katie Taylor? She didn't look like the winner to me, but unified all the belts.

14. jts1882

jts1882 Chris Armstrong

I reckon AJ could take her ... if he concentrates.

15. Parklaner81

Don't be silly - everything will have to be stacked in the golden goose's favour, don't you know. I'll be surprised if Hearn ever lets him out of the UK again after this (while there's still some hype left to be squeezed out, that is).

16. the dza

the dza Christian Ziege

Thing is, I'm not so sure Ruiz will even be bothered by Wembley or wherever they do it, he really beat Joshua up. Wasn't like 1 lucky punch, he put him down again and again. I think he'll fancy the job even more with more time to prepare.

scaramanga likes this.
  17. Parklaner81

This is a key point, and something that I felt Johnny Nelson completely overlooked when he tried to compare this to Lennox Lewis's defeats. I still sensed plenty of Joshua's entitled arrogance in his post fight interviews though - will be interesting to see whether that continues as the true nature of the defeat sinks in.

Saying all that, Ruiz won't have the element of surprise or being overlooked in his favour next time. That, combined with the home advantages will give Joshua a decent shout at avenging this IMO.

18. fernadez

fernadez Ben Thatcher

Ruiz should just retire right now, go out of the game like a boss.

19. the dza

the dza Christian Ziege

Agree. Plus Joshua did drop him, if he'd have been more patient after doing that, maybe it would have gone differently.

Another interesting night in the heavyweight division though, it's great entertainment.

20. ringo

ringo Eidur Gudjohnsen

What a great fight - unexpected perhaps but the signs were there with the Klitschko fight. Joshua's reactions after getting caught remind me so much of Bruno. It's not that he can't take a shot, it's more that he doesn't react instinctively like a boxer, once he has. He freezes and is completely open for a moment. Plus he gasses easily and can barely lift his arms to defend himself when he is tired. There is no way you can coach that out. I'm sure Hearn had his suspicions. On the strength of last night Wilder would destroy him.

I had a bet on Ruiz at 22-1 for the KO, more in hope than expectation, because they were crazy odds against a decent puncher.

Comparisons with Lewis's comeback are misplaced too. This was no flash knock down, Ruiz dismantled AJ over 7 rounds, took a lot of heavy shots relatively untroubled, recovered from a knockdown much more quickly than AJ. Joshua never really recovered from the third round knockdowns. He looked stunned everytime Ruiz caught him with a good shot after that. Lennox is one of the best (albeit sensibly cautious) heavyweights of all time - with a list of decent fighters on his record. AJ is a carefully managed, decent, but limited heavyweight.

What happens next seems very unpredictable.

Is there a rematch clause and if there is will Ruiz honour it?
    Will the various sanctioning bodies force mandatories?
    Given the relationship between Ruiz's advisor Al Haymon and Shelley Finkel is there a chance that wilder might get a shot at Ruiz before Joshua?

Given the money at stake I wouldn't put it past someone engineering a fight for a vacated title.

Personally I hope that if there is a rematch AJ doesn't win (or manage to get hold of the belts via another route) as there is no way Hearn lets AJ anywhere near a decent puncher again.

Last edited: 2 Jun 2019