• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** The Official Boxing/UFC/MMA thread ***

I don't think Hearn has complete control of any of these guys minds. If AJ says to him "I want to fight Whyte, make it happen" then it would imo. Likewise, if the fighter just wants to make the most money in the easiest way, then he'll make that happen too.

Ultimately, it's pretty easy for a fighter of AJ's standing to go public and say "I want to fight XYZ, I just needs Eddie Hearn to sort it out."

He did that though did he not with WIlder, loads of interviews where Both AJ and Hearn say they wanted the fight, all came down to money

He did that though did he not with WIlder, loads of interviews where Both AJ and Hearn say they wanted the fight, all came down to money

Is the money used as an excuse to duck a fight though? Either from Joshua or Wilder, they could price themselves out of a fight they just don't want. Surely if both fighters really want it, they can get close enough in terms of what they really want moneywise. I dunno.

Is the money used as an excuse to duck a fight though? Either from Joshua or Wilder, they could price themselves out of a fight they just don't want. Surely if both fighters really want it, they can get close enough in terms of what they really want moneywise. I dunno.
On basis that theyre always blabbing about knocking each other out why don't they, for example, go 40%,40% for each fighter and leave 20% on the table for the winner (or some variation there of)??

Anyone seen Broner interviews and Presser? SHuts down Al Berstein, pretty silly with it to be honest.

Only just seen him ripping Roach on his Parkinsons.

On basis that theyre always blabbing about knocking each other out why don't they, for example, go 40%,40% for each fighter and leave 20% on the table for the winner (or some variation there of)??

It's a bit like divorce. Leave them to it, and the boxers would probably fight for nothing - aka pride. But once the lawyers ( aka promoters) get involved it all gets so much more complicated.
And without the promoters the boxers wouldn't make enough money to buy airplanes, or a bespoke suit, cane and monocle (and large truck to drive around the small streets of a seaside town).

It's a bit like divorce. Leave them to it, and the boxers would probably fight for nothing - aka pride. But once the lawyers ( aka promoters) get involved it all gets so much more complicated.
And without the promoters the boxers wouldn't make enough money to buy airplanes, or a bespoke suit, cane and monocle (and large truck to drive around the small streets of a seaside town).
So how come the promoters are all making so much money but Hearn still looks like a chav in a £100 suit heading to court for hitting his girlfriend?

So how come the promoters are all making so much money but Hearn still looks like a chav in a £100 suit heading to court for hitting his girlfriend?

Thinking of a younger Frank Warren (or even his current brown checked double breasted number) or Don King, I think it must be part of the uniform. I don't mind some of his suits - but he does have a certain slippery manner about him. He might easily have been a car salesman, or a politician.

My favourite on-screen appearance of Eddie is in the post Chisora "throwing" a glass at Whyte melee when Eddie appears to be, for a moment, and I may be mistaken, genuinely scared and a bit awkward. A bit like the kid at school who is tall but definitely of a non-violent disposition standing next to a fight that breaks out at a party.

It is surprisingly difficult to find a good clip of that online now.

My favourite on-screen appearance of Eddie is in the post Chisora "throwing" a glass at Whyte melee when Eddie appears to be, for a moment, and I may be mistaken, genuinely scared

That happens alot actually, he is good and being lippy and showing of to Kugan but when it gets saucy he ducks out like a little girl.

My favourite on-screen appearance of Eddie is in the post Chisora "throwing" a glass at Whyte melee when Eddie appears to be, for a moment, and I may be mistaken, genuinely scared and a bit awkward. A bit like the kid at school who is tall but definitely of a non-violent disposition standing next to a fight that breaks out at a party.

It is surprisingly difficult to find a good clip of that online now.

I like the table-launching incident where he (presumably instinctively) stands up and the table is centimetres from taking his head off.

Looks like AJ vs Miller is going to be announced this week (or Whyte).

Eddie's usual defence to 'why don't you offer Wilder 50/50' is - we've got all the belts. Well why doesn't AJ put just one of his belts on the line vs Wilder and then offer 50/50 - I'm pretty sure that Wilder's camp would be happy to make that fight happen.

Wilder should suggest that - then we can see how much Eddie really wants AJ to take on Wilder.

Has a boxer ever successfully left a high profile promoter before?

If Joshua has any kind of interest in respect, legacy and achievements he has to get away from Hearn ASAP. There's no way he'll ever let Joshua into a fight against anyone even half decent until they're at the wrong end of their career.

If Joshua has any kind of interest in respect, legacy and achievements he has to get away from Hearn ASAP. There's no way he'll ever let Joshua into a fight against anyone even half decent until they're at the wrong end of their career.

Mayweather left Bob Arum and set up his own promotion company. There might be other examples, but that one springs to mind.

Hamed, Hatton and Calzaghe all split with Warren - but not necessarily because they didn't get the right fights - and I'm not sure who engineered the split in each case.
I'm not sure if Marsh split from Warren, they were certainly on opposite sides of a libel case.

I think there were probably a few that wanted to leave Don King, but thought better of it, for whatever reason (Tyson famously split with King).

I think you are right about AJ - although eventually public pressure and pride will probably force a fight with Wilder and/or Fury. But it will probably take a while. Assuming they are still in boxing by then. It's a shame as other than Bowe/Lewis, most heavyweight fights that I've want to see have been made with both fighters in reasonable form.

In the meantime I will follow the 15th coming of David Price, see who Lawrence Okolie (the UK's ungainliest fighter) gets to smother for 10 rounds, and ponder on whether Joe Joyce is a legitimate contender -his fight with Stiverne should be interesting.

Looks like AJ vs Miller is going to be announced this week (or Whyte).

Eddie's usual defence to 'why don't you offer Wilder 50/50' is - we've got all the belts. Well why doesn't AJ put just one of his belts on the line vs Wilder and then offer 50/50 - I'm pretty sure that Wilder's camp would be happy to make that fight happen.

Wilder should suggest that - then we can see how much Eddie really wants AJ to take on Wilder.

To be honest, I can understand the Wilder fight not getting made right now - from Wilder's end. Given the inconclusive result vs. Fury and with a rematch pending, I never expected him to look to dive straight into the AJ match, certainly not as soon as April.

For me, the really inexcusable thing would be if they dodge Whyte to go and fight Miller.

This Miller bloke is just a great big lump isn't he? 20-something stone? Surely not going to trouble any of Joshua/Whyte/Fury/Wilder.

This Miller bloke is just a great big lump isn't he? 20-something stone? Surely not going to trouble any of Joshua/Whyte/Fury/Wilder.

He isn't bad to be fair, but I'd have him as the easiest opponent of the 4 names supposedly under consideration. Him vs. Whyte would be a more interesting fight actually, but I really feel like now is the time for the Joshua/Whyte rematch. Dillian has earned it, not to mention that neither Wilder or Fury are realistic at this precise point in time.

I just can't help but feel that Joshua, or more to the point Hearn, is running scared of the risk.

Back