• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2021/22 Premier League Thread

Why a lot of you still think Solskjær is such a bad manager is something I don't really understand.
Even if he wins the PL and CL, I bet you'd still say he's no good, it's only luck etc. I think he's proving he's quite capable, and they play good football too.

He’s done just about enough to avoid the sack. Personally I don’t think he can take them back to where they should be; title winners and CL challengers. I may be wrong though. He wins all the games he should win but comes up short in the big games most of the time. Dropping De Gea finally would probably help in that regard.

Their league position last season speaks louder than most praise from pundits.

They get these results, that's the consequence of playing a high risk high reward system even when up against teams with much better players. But having that settled system that they get better at (imo) by playing it just about always against just about anyone has upsides too.

Last season at least they were able to absorb these results and "go again" in the next game. As a result they finished higher than most newly promoted teams can even dream of.

Doing that while being entertaining, while playing positive open football, fun games. That has to be one of the hardest things to do in football. Well deserving of praise imo.

He’s massively overhyped IMO. He’s barely won anything in his career despite how the pundits wax lyrical about him. I understand that a lot of managers were influenced by him but they arguably took the good bits from his philosophy and ditched the rest. Poch and Pep aren’t anywhere near as naive tactically or defensively as Bielsa.

So all others are underachieving when not managing to win from a losing position? And its not only vs "lesser" opponents. They did it consistently.
The point is that he isn't a bad manager. He's a pretty good one! He's bought well, integrated the new players well, and have got the team to play good football, they've been in finals, and comfortably qualified for the CL. They lack a top striker, but I'm fairly sure they'll get Haaland next year, and they'll be a very dangerous side then.
No it’s relative. Tottenham go behind against Norwich and win, that’s the expected result. A team on equal footing or less comes from behind I think it would show that something significant changed in the approach.

I’m not familiar enough with all their comebacks but my recollection is they went behind in a lot of games they were expected to win and annoyingly came back. Obviously better then losing but not an indictment on great coaching imo. The Europa league final and the lack of subs or trying to change a game was more of an indictment on him than Poch losing finals with teams that were not the overwhelming favourites to win.

last season was an odd one without crowds and VAR being soft on contact but tight on offside margins.

I expect Man U to still come top 4 but not win the league and I’m not convinced Solsjkaer will take them any closer this season. He is a fan appeaser because of the good (open) football but when a team enjoys the competitive advantage they do I’d expect a little more.
It may be a personal thing but I’ve always found it difficult to appreciate coaches at the upper end of the scale compared to those who deliver with resources. Ancelotti at Everton and Benitez at Saudi Sportswashing Machine have been good examples for me about how the resources are relative to what a manager can do, yet I feel the job Dyche does at Burnley and even Howe at Bournemouth are more credible in terms of exceeding expectations.

edit: don’t get me wrong if he wins the league I wouldn’t mind at all, my thoughts on Fraudiola are well documented!

He’s massively overhyped IMO. He’s barely won anything in his career despite how the pundits wax lyrical about him. I understand that a lot of managers were influenced by him but they arguably took the good bits from his philosophy and ditched the rest. Poch and Pep aren’t anywhere near as naive tactically or defensively as Bielsa.
Not won a lot, but not really spent a lot of time at clubs that would expect to win things with a good frequency either.

Seems to be good at getting teams that are a bit further down from the very top to a higher level. Not the least bit surprising that he got Leeds up and to a mid table position first season back.

Doing that, while playing entertaining football, influencing some of the biggest modern managers around and doing things differently. Name some of his peers at doing those things?

I think it's worth celebrating. I wish there were more like him, football would be poorer without him.

Not won a lot, but not really spent a lot of time at clubs that would expect to win things with a good frequency either.

Seems to be good at getting teams that are a bit further down from the very top to a higher level. Not the least bit surprising that he got Leeds up and to a mid table position first season back.

Doing that, while playing entertaining football, influencing some of the biggest modern managers around and doing things differently. Name some of his peers at doing those things?

I think it's worth celebrating. I wish there were more like him, football would be poorer without him.

Let’s not forget Leeds were the biggest club in the championship by a considerable margin. And he also failed in his first attempt at getting them back and lost in the playoffs to Lampard’s Derby County. Granted he did well last season but I don’t think just getting Leeds back up to the premier league is the great achievement a lot of people are paining it as.

Don’t disagree
It’s why we sacked poch
Although poch did make the CK final with us missing key players which is something Ole an only dream of to date
You keep on sticking up for him fella. He needs more supporters outside of United as most fans of other clubs I know think he is clueless too. TBH most United supporting fans I know don’t rate him either.
Add Utd's penalties to our peak Poch team and we'd have walked the league and the CL.

Barcodes defence is awful, even had me shouting "Watch Antonio!" at the TV, as you could see that coming a mile off! They didn't and gave him the freedom of the pitch. tossers.

Let’s not forget Leeds were the biggest club in the championship by a considerable margin. And he also failed in his first attempt at getting them back and lost in the playoffs to Lampard’s Derby County. Granted he did well last season but I don’t think just getting Leeds back up to the premier league is the great achievement a lot of people are paining it as.
:rolleyes:

Geez, Brighton continue their, errm, bright play and fully deserving of a 2-0 win over Watford. Patient, daring, organized. Well drilled squad.

Gotta be said - Potter is destined for bigger and better things sooner than later.

A Cheatski win, and the gooners are in the bottom 3. :D

Something in the back of my head is telling me Woolwich will win this today even though everything is stacked against them.

Hard to want any result when these two play. Both clubs are odious to me for different reasons - Woolwich because they are Woolwich and you’re obliged to hate them as a Spurs fan. Chelsea because they’re a fudging horrible cesspit of a club, with a history of the worst clams in the game wearing their shirt and they are only successful because a Russian gangster wants to launder his ill gotten gains. I hope the stadium gets nuked today.

Back