• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2019/20 Premier League Thread

What about the teams who could have been up via a play off?
That's why the only thing that makes sense is to void the season completely. Might not help us much regarding CL entry as I believe that's at the league's discretion.

There are too many variables and too many clubs falling just the wrong side of the line that would immediately litigate. Rushing the season end benefits rich clubs with huge squads. Playing at neutral venues benefits teams with soulless, empty stadiums like City and Arsenal. Playoff teams will almost certainly litigate if the top two get promoted. Calling the end of the season now and finishing places as they are will have everyone in court except the Victims.

The only sensible thing to do is just to write off the season now. If it were any other team at the top of the league it would have been done already.

If the season ends now, there won't be play-offs and we won't even know the teams that would qualify for the play-offs. At least in the Championship the top two are fairly clear. No other club has a clear case that they are denied promotion. At best they have a chance of making the play-off that they have a chance of winning.

Also promoting three without relegation would also cause scheduling problems.

So much for the concern about the integrity of the competition, eh?

I would've been happy to see the season through as long as the conditions for the remaining nine games would be similar to the first 29. Neutral venues and no fans; that's your fair competition and integrity down the drain. End the season and let current positions stand? Same thing.

If you have any respect for the integrity of the competition, neither of these options are doable.

Just cancel it, and get it over with.

Good old Danny. No pussyfooting, say it like it is :

He told Instagram Live: "The government is saying we are bringing football back because it is going to boost the nation's morale.

"I don't give a f*** about the nation's morale, people’s lives are at risk. Football shouldn't even be spoke about coming back until the numbers have dropped massively. It's gonad*s. Well see. I'm supposed to tested on Friday so we will just have to wait and see."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...restart-nations-morale-football-a4437646.html

So much for the concern about the integrity of the competition, eh?

I would've been happy to see the season through as long as the conditions for the remaining nine games would be similar to the first 29. Neutral venues and no fans; that's your fair competition and integrity down the drain. End the season and let current positions stand? Same thing.

If you have any respect for the integrity of the competition, neither of these options are doable.

Just cancel it, and get it over with.

If we cancel it, which English teams would go into the CL next season? Current top 4, or top 4 from last season? Whichever is decided upon, the others who miss out take the PL to court. Similarly with promotions/relegations etc

The numbers of deaths are coming down sharply and the peak in the UK was now over a month ago. By the time the PL re-starts in June, they'll be even lower. The only reason the case numbers haven't come down is that we're testing 3x-4x the number of people from a few weeks ago

I don't see how playing a game without fans at a neutral venue risks more infections than brickies going back to building sites this week, or people going back to factories.

I'm all for re-starting the league in June. It may not be perfect, but its the least-bad

If we cancel it, which English teams would go into the CL next season? Current top 4, or top 4 from last season? Whichever is decided upon, the others who miss out take the PL to court. Similarly with promotions/relegations etc

The numbers of deaths are coming down sharply and the peak in the UK was now over a month ago. By the time the PL re-starts in June, they'll be even lower. The only reason the case numbers haven't come down is that we're testing 3x-4x the number of people from a few weeks ago

I don't see how playing a game without fans at a neutral venue risks more infections than brickies going back to building sites this week, or people going back to factories.

I'm all for re-starting the league in June. It may not be perfect, but its the least-bad
What makes sense is no European football for a season so that we don’t have cross country transfer of COVID
Sure no none wants that but they all want the €€€

Good old Danny. No pussyfooting, say it like it is :

He told Instagram Live: "The government is saying we are bringing football back because it is going to boost the nation's morale.

"I don't give a f*** about the nation's morale, people’s lives are at risk. Football shouldn't even be spoke about coming back until the numbers have dropped massively. It's gonad*s. Well see. I'm supposed to tested on Friday so we will just have to wait and see."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...restart-nations-morale-football-a4437646.html
Amazingly he is getting slated by the brain dead for not taking a pay cut...
they clearly don’t undertaken what his comments mean
He is showing empathy with real people dying and the lack of importance of football

What makes sense is no European football for a season so that we don’t have cross country transfer of COVID
Sure no none wants that but they all want the €€€

I think European football next season will happen, whether fans are at games or not I'm not sure. Matches without fans creates no greater risk to C-19 than people going on holiday, or truckers driving lorries across a border

Perhaps you could see UEFA setting thresholds for C-19 below which countries need to be in order to participate, and perhaps UEFA giving themselves the right to abandon or kick teams out if the virus re-emerges. However given where the main countries are at the moment, I fully expect European football next season

Cancelling the season and relying on last year's finishing places is probably the least open to litigation.

That way there's no judgement involved, no arbitrary allocation of remaining points, etc. If they can't safely complete the season then acting as if the season didn't happen is the cleanest method.

Cancelling the season and relying on last year's finishing places is probably the least open to litigation.

That way there's no judgement involved, no arbitrary allocation of remaining points, etc. If they can't safely complete the season then acting as if the season didn't happen is the cleanest method.

We'd clearly argue it that way! Chelsea would make the case that a 75% completed season is 'close enough'. Either way it ends up in court, and similarly with promotion/relegation issues

I think European football next season will happen, whether fans are at games or not I'm not sure. Matches without fans creates no greater risk to C-19 than people going on holiday, or truckers driving lorries across a border

Perhaps you could see UEFA setting thresholds for C-19 below which countries need to be in order to participate, and perhaps UEFA giving themselves the right to abandon or kick teams out if the virus re-emerges. However given where the main countries are at the moment, I fully expect European football next season
And there is the issue
Because of £££ clubs wanna play European footy
Yet there is a HUGE chance of COVID being here across countries
Imagine Liverpool get Olympiakos. One team from an area they can’t control anything really vs a team in a country that has nailed the issue

But UEFA don’t like that do they
They want football merit
But that’s a problem as arguably we could catch 4th place now and I’d be very confident of securing 5th

Obviously there's no perfect solution.

The best and fairest IMO would be to cancel this season as well as the coming season's European competitions. That would also free up calendar space for a late autumn PL start, if neccessary.

When the 20/21 season starts, it must be with an obligation to arrange all games the same way - i.e. all in neutral venues or traditional home/away games, and with/without spectators - in the interest of a fair competition and the integrity of the game. Then on the basis of that season, European competitions could commence in 21/22.

Harsh on Liverpool/Leeds and the likes of course, but I can see no better way (other than this season finishing as normal, which is extremely unlikely).

And there is the issue
Because of £££ clubs wanna play European footy
Yet there is a HUGE chance of COVID being here across countries
Imagine Liverpool get Olympiakos. One team from an area they can’t control anything really vs a team in a country that has nailed the issue

Which is why you might see games played in empty grounds. Olympiakos sending 18 players plus staff to Liverpool for 24 hours would be no material increase to the cross-border travel which will happen Planes are still flying, cars/trucks still driving into other countries etc - running the CL and El wouldnt materially change the risk

Obviously there's no perfect solution.

The best and fairest IMO would be to cancel this season as well as the coming season's European competitions. That would also free up calendar space for a late autumn PL start, if neccessary.

When the 20/21 season starts, it must be with an obligation to arrange all games the same way - i.e. all in neutral venues or traditional home/away games, and with/without spectators - in the interest of a fair competition and the integrity of the game. Then on the basis of that season, European competitions could commence in 21/22.

Harsh on Liverpool/Leeds and the likes of course, but I can see no better way (other than this season finishing as normal, which is extremely unlikely).

Lets see - I still expect this season to be completed at neutral grounds starting in a few weeks, and then European competitions to take place next season.

Agree though that the PL and UEfa will need to try to future-proof next season to the extent that they can

Which is why you might see games played in empty grounds. Olympiakos sending 18 players plus staff to Liverpool for 24 hours would be no material increase to the cross-border travel which will happen Planes are still flying, cars/trucks still driving into other countries etc - running the CL and El wouldnt materially change the risk
But the players would need to use airports, hotels, training facilities, eat... so many things
Encouraging unnecessary travel due to the need to make extra £££ is a imo a risk that can be avoided

Lets see - I still expect this season to be completed at neutral grounds starting in a few weeks, and then European competitions to take place next season.

Agree though that the PL and UEfa will need to try to future-proof next season to the extent that they can
The neutral ground thing got binned yesterday
Appears no side wants neutral grounds
There is also a logic that clubs having their familiarity with medical facilities within their own ground is actually very important and key

Back