• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The NFL Thread

Horrendous situation.

Is this becoming more common in sport? Seems there are more cases or its more widely reports, don't worry I am not blaming the vaccine here. Just maybe a sign of the stresses and strains pro sports people put their body through or maybe a need for extra screening

Hopefully stable now and out of the woods?

Still critical 24 hours after the event. The latest reports from cardiologists (not treating him) is that they would be worried about brain activity after X minutes of no heartbeat.

Horrendous situation.

Is this becoming more common in sport? Seems there are more cases or its more widely reports, don't worry I am not blaming the vaccine here. Just maybe a sign of the stresses and strains pro sports people put their body through or maybe a need for extra screening

It definitely feels that way, but maybe it’s just optics? Everything is on TV, social media etc immediately now. Of course there was Marc Vivien Foe 20 years ago, Antonio Puerta and other footballers. The other difference here is that it might have been caused by the contact, rather than what we saw with others like Eriksen, Muamba etc.

The one thing that seems to have increased in the last few years (even before COVID!) is people in the crowd suffering cardiac arrest.

Last edited:
Still critical 24 hours after the event. The latest reports from cardiologists (not treating him) is that they would be worried about brain activity after X minutes of no heartbeat.

It definitely feels that way, but maybe it’s just optics? Everything is on TV, social media etc immediately now. Of course there was Marc Vivien Foe 20 years ago, Antonio Puerta and other footballers. The other difference here is that it might have been caused by the contact, rather than what we saw with others like Eriksen, Muamba etc.

The one thing that seems to have increased in the last few years (even before COVID!) is people in the crowd suffering cardiac arrest.

Yeh it certainly feels more across board but like you say, could just be optics.

I did read years back about the stresses and strains cyclists and rowers put their bodies under and how when they quit the sport they can't actually just stop or their bodies would shock and likely bring on earlier death, so they have to wind down. Just made me think about modern sport and the level of caffeine and supplements to maintain that extraordinary level these days.

Yeh it certainly feels more across board but like you say, could just be optics.

I did read years back about the stresses and strains cyclists and rowers put their bodies under and how when they quit the sport they can't actually just stop or their bodies would shock and likely bring on earlier death, so they have to wind down. Just made me think about modern sport and the level of caffeine and supplements to maintain that extraordinary level these days.

I think that's the same for anyone breaking thier routine, the first 12 months of retirement are apparently the most dangerous.
The shock to the system of the total change in routine is very dangerous.
A lot of the bigger companies and government agencies/departments now offer a wind down to allow for the adjustment.
I'd imagine for elite level athletes it's multiple times worse.

The other one profession that comes to mind is wrestling. Obviously a lot to do with the steroids, creatine and GHod knows what else they pump into their bodies, combined with physical and mental aspects…but so many die young from heart attacks and the like. Then there’s the concussion affects potentially causing things like what Chris Benoit did.

It feels like we’re at the beginning of the beginning of even understanding just a little bit about all these things. I’m sure it happens across all works of life, bank because they’re public figures it feels like it happens to them more.

The other one profession that comes to mind is wrestling. Obviously a lot to do with the steroids, creatine and GHod knows what else they pump into their bodies, combined with physical and mental aspects…but so many die young from heart attacks and the like. Then there’s the concussion affects potentially causing things like what Chris Benoit did.

It feels like we’re at the beginning of the beginning of even understanding just a little bit about all these things. I’m sure it happens across all works of life, bank because they’re public figures it feels like it happens to them more.

Just read a great article about the dangers in NFL. Apparently the organisation are covering up how dangerous

Concussion is a decent film on a similar subject - Will Smith.

Yeh that was the basis of the article

Apparently then NFL paid out on concussion to ex players but paid less to black players because they believed they came from lower intelligence level to start with.....makes Fifa sound legit

Just read a great article about the dangers in NFL. Apparently the organisation are covering up how dangerous

They cover up how dangerous, they've been cutting the amount of money paid for disabilities caused by playing in the NFL for years now, pensions have also been cut.

I love the NFL, but it's basically run like a criminal organisation.

They cover up how dangerous, they've been cutting the amount of money paid for disabilities caused by playing in the NFL for years now, pensions have also been cut.

I love the NFL, but it's basically run like a criminal organisation.

I find US sports odd but also intriguing, I must really read up on it all more but the idea that clubs can move states etc is one I can't get my head round etc.

The punditry is also OTT, there are some right old helmets in US sports like Stephen Smith and Skip Bayless

I find US sports odd but also intriguing, I must really read up on it all more but the idea that clubs can move states etc is one I can't get my head round etc.

The punditry is also OTT, there are some right old helmets in US sports like Stephen Smith and Skip Bayless

It's just the same thing as Talkbrick over here, just a bit more theatrical, talk absolute rubbish, create debate and headlines and get viewers. The NFL has been good recently on the commentary side of things, they've got some good ex-players involved, I love it when Tony Romo is on comms.

As I said I love the NFL and I also love Ice Hockey, Baseball is interesting (historically) but give me a good day of test cricket over that guff any day. Basketball I can't stand.

If you want a bitesize daily podcast on US sports I'd recommend Pardon the Interruption (PTI), 20 mins, covers the big stories and always a good listen.

It's just the same thing as Talkbrick over here, just a bit more theatrical, talk absolute rubbish, create debate and headlines and get viewers. The NFL has been good recently on the commentary side of things, they've got some good ex-players involved, I love it when Tony Romo is on comms.

As I said I love the NFL and I also love Ice Hockey, Baseball is interesting (historically) but give me a good day of test cricket over that guff any day. Basketball I can't stand.

If you want a bitesize daily podcast on US sports I'd recommend Pardon the Interruption (PTI), 20 mins, covers the big stories and always a good listen.
I loved the late John Madden in the booth...such an iconic voice.

Back