• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The next few seasons

diego_maradona

Steffen Iversen
Staff member
Ok so I’ve been thinking about where we are as a club today and what our ultimate ambition is.

Daniel Levy has a long term vision to organically grow the club, give us world class facilities and a world class stadium.

A compromise to this would be to have a reduced wage bill and not be able to compete on a financial level with those with the ultimate ambition to win the league

Or wait until the large wages are sustainable through the increased revenue.

A counter argument: Unexpectedly we have unearthed a gem in Harry Kane. A once in a lifetime player.

Not only Kane but a whole team that are coming of age at the same time together filled with special talent.

Do we waste this opportunity that has come along? Or do we support Kane with more special talent and truly push to win this league.

If we don’t pay the players what they are worth it is more of a risk to let them go because signing players of the same calibre would either be impossible or cost a LOT of money.

This group and particularly Harry Kane is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Levy needs to adjust his long term vision and back the squad today.
Otherwise we risk becoming next seasons Monaco (probably without a league title)

Truth is, right now the board would take a top 4 finish as a yardstick as a fairly successful season although we all say we want a trophy. Poch has said the League and the CL are the only ones really worth winning. We need to get to the stage where the board consider “winning the league” is the clubs objective from the beginning the season. That means competing for the best players when they come available and paying accordingly. It means rewarding the current players with the salaries they could easily command elsewhere.

I know it’s a conundrum, but the money is out there. With google and amazon and co entering the fray for streaming rights, the turnover will be reaching record highs. Invest in the team first and foremost.

Thought?

The players need to be paid what they are worth. There are players fighting relegation who are on more than 90% of our players. If we dont pay them the going rate we risk losing them.

We have the best defenders in the country - so pay them the best wages
we have the best striker in the country - so pay him what he wants.

its like any industry, you go where the money is. if someone offered you 50k more a year to work for another company you wouldn't think twice. Don't think its any different for footballers.

The likes of Emirates Marketing Project, Utd and Chelsea, would take the majority of our players and double their pay

So... pay our best players "what they're worth", massively increasing our wage budget and increase our spending in the transfer market at the same time? Seems like a flawless plan... wonder why no other club has thought of that.

Just what are they worth in your opinion? We're in a footballing world with clubs with much bigger budgets than ours. Other clubs will be able to pay more than us, is that "what they're worth"?

So... pay our best players "what they're worth", massively increasing our wage budget and increase our spending in the transfer market at the same time? Seems like a flawless plan... wonder why no other club has thought of that.

Just what are they worth in your opinion? We're in a footballing world with clubs with much bigger budgets than ours. Other clubs will be able to pay more than us, is that "what they're worth"?
I get this. I have always been on this same page.

But Harry Kane. This is a truly special once in a lifetime player. If we simply chance our luck and hope we push for the league title once or twice then we have wasted what has been one of the greatest opportunities ever afforded to us.

It is impossible to replace this player. Who is better? Are they of a better age? Would they come to us even if we paid them?

That’s the risk if we continue to improve at this trajectory yet not win and not pay good wages. My argument here is, is that more of a gamble then actually paying now?

Where the money comes from?
3%2BRevenue%2BSplit%2B%25C2%25A3.jpg

We can only expect that our revenue will greatly go up having competed in the champions league and finished second in the league. Tv money will push us into crazy levels in comparison to the likes of Juve and co, who are huge clubs.

I’m not the accountant. But what I’m suggesting is prioritise the football team while we have it right now. Because to build this again may be impossible at a later date even when we have more funds.

In terms of what is top wages? It doesn’t have to be what city will pay, but it can be a damn sight more than what we’ve been getting away with up til now

The top players won't stay if we're not winning things. Neither will they stay if we're not paying the wages.

Seems as if the answer is clear - pay them what we do with a huge trophy win bonus.
I’m on board with this. Aside from Toby they are on long contracts I believe, and my stance would simply be if you really want to move then win us the title.

Trouble is, to win the title and CL is a very very difficult thing to do, so we have to be strong when clubs come knocking (and they will). This will potentially tinkle off some of our top players

Repeating myself, but hey...

Player development is how we got here and player development is how we improve from here. Over the next 5-10 years, at least, other clubs will have significantly more money than us. If we try to go toe to toe with them in the transfer market and wage front we will lose. We should increase our wages in line with our increased turnover, maybe even a bit more (although that will mean less freedom in the transfer market).

It feels like we need a guarantee that we'll keep around the stars and superstar(s?) we currently have, but no such guarantee can be made. Player development though, that's how we stand out, that's where we have an edge on our richer competitors.

Signing Aurier when "forced" to sell Walker was a good bit of business, as well as we can expect to do in the market really. But the main reason we haven't missed Walker that much was the £3.5m(!) signing of Trippier two years ago and the improvement we've seen from him over those two seasons. Same with Rose's injury and Davies on the other side.

On the more extreme end I truly believe that there are alternative timelines where Kane, Alli, Eriksen, Dier and others are shadows of what we're seeing from them now. No Pochettino at Spurs or them moving to other clubs and it could have been a completely different developmental path for them.

For me our continued success depends on that player development. I don't know if it's Edwards, Onomah, Winks, Sterling, Oakley-Boothe, Skipp, some other academy player or some new signing that will fit the above profile 2-3 years from now. But if it's no one we'll be in trouble I think.

So we take in 200 mill a year now and that’ll probably rise to 250 mill with the stadium (based on Arsenal’s match day revenue). These are rough calculations by the way.

I’m not sure what the additional cost is for that 50 million. Maybe someone else knows? But even taking it as pure profit, an additional 100k a week for Kane (which is the minimum he’s worth in the market) is 5 million. Ditto Dele. Toby too. Rose as well. Then you have the wage inflation of others because those boys got wage increases. We’re probably looking at an extra 20-30 million per year all in I’d guess?

It’s a very rough calculation that someone may tear apart but it doesn’t seem too unrealistic.

If we don’t pay our players and manager, they will go. I do believe they have an affection for the club but Tottenham is not their boyhood club so if an offer of double wages comes along, you could understand them wanting to leave.

I trust Levy. He ain’t a fool and knows players are swayed by money. What we’re doing now is not sustainable in the long term but it may not have to be if he manages it properly.

But Harry Kane. This is a truly special once in a lifetime player. If we simply chance our luck and hope we push for the league title once or twice then we have wasted what has been one of the greatest opportunities ever afforded to us.

It is impossible to replace this player. Who is better? Are they of a better age? Would they come to us even if we paid them?

That’s the risk if we continue to improve at this trajectory yet not win and not pay good wages. My argument here is, is that more of a gamble then actually paying now?

We can only expect that our revenue will greatly go up having competed in the champions league and finished second in the league. Tv money will push us into crazy levels in comparison to the likes of Juve and co, who are huge clubs.

I’m not the accountant. But what I’m suggesting is prioritise the football team while we have it right now. Because to build this again may be impossible at a later date even when we have more funds.

In terms of what is top wages? It doesn’t have to be what city will pay, but it can be a damn sight more than what we’ve been getting away with up til now
And we should continue to improve his contract as we have and as I'm sure the plan has been for a long time.

But we can't improve it to the point of paying what the richest clubs around could pay him, even if that's what he's worth. And we can't massively increase our wage budget and increase our transfer spending at the same time.

We must continue to be smart and strategic, as Levy has been all along. On long contacts already we can offer a slightly longer contact along with a moderate wage increase within our growing wage structure. Probably won't keep the player happy for more than 12-18 months if he keeps delivering, so rinse and repeat.

Compare us to Arsenal. We have better players on less money. Still they're the one's seemingly in constant contact stand offs and being forced to sell because of contacts running down. I would say that's a pretty clear sign that our strategy is better.

Let's say we did what you seem to be suggesting and broke the bank in a massive wage increase for our best players. Crippling our freedom to move in the transfer market and risking some seriously negative side effects if we have a poor season. What happens 12-18 months from now? The players will still want more, because compared to the richest clubs they're "worth it". And because it's human nature. And because as a club we'll want another extension.

Luckily Levy is brilliant at this too.

Just more of the same for me.

New contracts for Alder, Lamela and maybe Alli

Each summer buy one player for the first 11 (a Sanchez) and a promising kid (Foyth) and replace anyone who needs replacing (Walker and Janssen)

And keep promoting academy players into the 25, clearing out players in their paths (e.g. Trippier for KWP next summer, perhaps Dembele for Onomah the following one)

I think a trim squad with youth promotion and high bonuses are the key to the wage issue.

Not sure the likes of Rose, Toby and Alli will see this bonus proposal instead of wage rises as positively as you guys.

Exactly right. Why would they? I wouldn't if I was them. They'll get the money as part of their base salary at City, United, Chelsea, Real or Barca and, based on history, have a better chance of winning something.

We all know pay for performance is morally right. But this is the real world and some clubs know that if they pay up front, the performance will likely follow. In that sort of environment, having the pay dependent on performance is a recipe for players to jump ship.

How is our broadcasting revenue so low compared to the rest of the "Big Six"? I'm also surprised at United's. Looks very low and they're 20-30 million behind Chelsea, City, Liverpool and Arsenal.

I'm one hundred percent certain Kane will stay next season, for the experience of playing at his boyhood club's new stadium. Regardless of wages and inevitable ridiculous bids from the mega clubs.

Unless we win a major trophy, I do fear other players could look to leve, but I don't see a Monaco style dismantling of our team at this point. I'm fairly certain our wages are way bigger than Monaco's anyway.

If we fail to win anything this season, the next could be crucial though. We have some truly great and ambitious players who surely want silvereware, some of which will be seeing the end of their careers in the distance come 2019.

We have a special group of players at the moment though, as well as a special manager, all of who are evolving together. That, I think, could be the key to keep everyone together for years to come - if we keep evolving, like we've done now in the CL, and of course if we challenge for and win titles.

I'm not worried though, everything will come to an end, this great era as well, so I've just decided to enjoy it while it lasts. Feels like I've deserved it after all the hardship we've endured over the past there decades. I've certainly never seen a better Spurs side in my lifetime as a supporter.

The top players won't stay if we're not winning things. Neither will they stay if we're not paying the wages.

Seems as if the answer is clear - pay them what we do with a huge trophy win bonus.

Exactly

And make sure they get suitable commercial endorsements to enhance their income

Kane will earn in his lifetime a sit stands with endorsements about £80M... thats without getting paid £300k a week

The players are hungry for success rather than more money than they could ever spend

And we should continue to improve his contract as we have and as I'm sure the plan has been for a long time.

But we can't improve it to the point of paying what the richest clubs around could pay him, even if that's what he's worth. And we can't massively increase our wage budget and increase our transfer spending at the same time.

We must continue to be smart and strategic, as Levy has been all along. On long contacts already we can offer a slightly longer contact along with a moderate wage increase within our growing wage structure. Probably won't keep the player happy for more than 12-18 months if he keeps delivering, so rinse and repeat.

Compare us to Arsenal. We have better players on less money. Still they're the one's seemingly in constant contact stand offs and being forced to sell because of contacts running down. I would say that's a pretty clear sign that our strategy is better.

Let's say we did what you seem to be suggesting and broke the bank in a massive wage increase for our best players. Crippling our freedom to move in the transfer market and risking some seriously negative side effects if we have a poor season. What happens 12-18 months from now? The players will still want more, because compared to the richest clubs they're "worth it". And because it's human nature. And because as a club we'll want another extension.

Luckily Levy is brilliant at this too.
It’s a good strategy. But it’s a business first strategy. We are in this to win, I just want Football to be put first. I’m not saying be gung ho with it, but there needs to be some risk otherwise the opportunity will pass us by

We cannot be in line with the very top elite clubs. I accept that. But even Liverpool (who didn’t quite pull off what they wanted) showed intent in going for Keita and Van Dijk. They didn’t pull it off so they failed in that respect but I want us to show similar intent. To be fair I think we have done by buying Sánchez and Aurier.

We are actually doing ok. More than ok, we have been exceptional. But we must make the most of the what we have right now. We are so close to winning, a little extra could see us reap the rewards.

A player of Kane’s ilk should be winning leagues.

Can anyone tell me why we should still have a wage issue when in the new stadium? Or how long it will take before we won't? I'm not saying we are going to pay Emirates Marketing Project or Madrid wages but if we move into this amazing new ground and still operate like we are 30k at WHL it will be totally pointless if we lose players from this squad because of it.

I'm hoping once the ground is finished, the revenue increase is predictable and we can pretty quickly build that into our wage structure. I'm hoping we don't need to wait for money to actually flow into the bank account, more like we needed an asset that would show the corporate finance folks that our income would be repeatable and consistent? So hopefully this coming pre-season we should have a raft of new contract signings?

We have to bench mark ourselves on a team like Atletico. Not the biggest and not the richest but a well run club going in the right direction

How do they survive and thrive... by being clever within their own model and by not selling when they dont want too

Reward the ones that merit it and dangle the carrot

It’s a good strategy. But it’s a business first strategy. We are in this to win, I just want Football to be put first. I’m not saying be gung ho with it, but there needs to be some risk otherwise the opportunity will pass us by

We cannot be in line with the very top elite clubs. I accept that. But even Liverpool (who didn’t quite pull off what they wanted) showed intent in going for Keita and Van Dijk. They didn’t pull it off so they failed in that respect but I want us to show similar intent. To be fair I think we have done by buying Sánchez and Aurier.

We are actually doing ok. More than ok, we have been exceptional. But we must make the most of the what we have right now. We are so close to winning, a little extra could see us reap the rewards.

A player of Kane’s ilk should be winning leagues.

Everton showed lots of intent in the transfer market, but have managed to buy themselves a relegation battle. Our cautious/necessity approach is much better.

Back