• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Match-fixing Thread

Jees..

If the scale of this is as large as they are saying it could have massive ramifications.. :eek:

Not just for the champions league game also the "several top football matches in European leagues"...

'The biggest payment to an individual was £121,000, according to investigators.'

Makes me question what the point was. That's like less then a months wages for the majority of PL footballers.

Last edited:
Wow. It's 2 seasons back by the sounds of it.

Best outcome here Chelsea get banned from Europe for 10 years. Worst outcome it was us and we are banned from Europe for 10 years :eek:

Wouldnt the best be Arsenal? Wouldn't it hurt them more?

My guess would be that it's a game where a team had little to play for because it was a group stage game and they had already qualified or were already out of it. CL bonuses and added exposure is worth a lot to players so I think it would be less likely to be an important game in the group stages or a knockout game.

Article says that "The biggest payment to an individual was £121,000, according to investigators." For most of the players at most of the English CL clubs that's not a ridiculous amount of money, even for someone paid £30k p/w (very much lower end for the CL clubs) that's not an amount of money worth risking your reputation and possibly career on. So I'm guessing the players involved in this game are players from the away side. For some of the players at some of the smaller clubs that's a solid amount of money.

Also from the article: "In Germany-based matches alone, criminals wagered £13.8m (16m euros) on rigged matches and made £6.9m in profits." With a profit like that compared to what was wagered it's not like these syndicates were rigging massive upsets and getting away with it. Seems somewhat likely that they went for giving favourite teams an additional chance of winning games they already looked likely to win.

In 2010 Arsenal had their last game at home against Partizan who finished dead last in their group and were already out of it. In the same year Chelsea had their 5th game at home to Zelina who at that point were last with no points. I'm guessing one of these matches, based on nothing other than my speculation :)

Wow. It's 2 seasons back by the sounds of it.

Best outcome here Chelsea get banned from Europe for 10 years. Worst outcome it was us and we are banned from Europe for 10 years :eek:

Most realistic outcome?

It was the opponents of the English CL tie that were paid to lose the game. Nothing happens to the English club.

Would not be surprised if a certain come from behind match in Istanbul was under suspicion.

Most of these incidents are likely to be lower tier teams, where 100K is a considerable amount. You can bet on games pretty far down in the league systems around the world.

Would not be surprised if a certain come from behind match in Istanbul was under suspicion.

I would be very surprised if that was the case.

I would be surprised if that £121k mentioned would be enough to even cover the bonus loss for a player that was on the cusp of winning the CL. And although modern footballers are money grabbing bastards I don't think any of them would trade a CL win for £121k. Also, that was AC Milan, one of the richest clubs in Europe at the time paying massive wages. Very unlikely to see that kind of money turn the heads of those players.

No reason for the betting syndicates to go for those matches anyway, they would get much more value for their bribes by targeting slightly lower profile games with lower profile players.

I dunno. Italian teams are well bent and I don't think there's much discretion on which games they choose to fix or not.

Players only involved in these or perhaps managers with questionable substitions or team selections?

I'll waiit til we are cleared before casting aspersions.

There's a great article about match-fixing and its mechanics (on the international scene) here: http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/st...t-prolific-criminal-match-fixer-espn-magazine. It's long but well worth a read.

Largely unpoliced, the Singapore syndicate became increasingly brazen, never more so than in the staging of ghost matches like the suspected one between the U21 teams from Turkmenistan and Maldives. Since federations, and not FIFA, announce friendlies, bookies employ local "spotters" to troll for information about upcoming matches. These spotters are corrupted by the syndicate to con bookies into listing fabricated matches. The spotters then supply the bookies with in-game dispatches -- on matches that aren't actually happening.

Most realistic outcome?

It was the opponents of the English CL tie that were paid to lose the game. Nothing happens to the English club.

This.

I absolutely refuse to believe any PL Club would be directly involved in something like this. (yes, even Chelsea)

This.

I absolutely refuse to believe any PL Club would be directly involved in something like this. (yes, even Chelsea)

I wouldn't refuse on some moral ground, my reasoning is that the monetary incentive is severely lacking for those who are already extremely affluent.

The reward does not merit the risk.

I know we hate this lot...but I always had a *feeling* about this game against Barcelona..who knows.

[video=youtube;PENQDQ52SOY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PENQDQ52SOY[/video]

Everyone on twitter are saying its Chelsea against Barca of last year.

All Chelsea fans are saying its Barca vs them in 2009.

Haha

I dunno. Italian teams are well bent and I don't think there's much discretion on which games they choose to fix or not.

You really think a professional footballer who's being very well paid would throw away a CL win for what's unlikely to be more that 2-3 weeks of wages? Or at most 4-5 weeks worth...

This.

Depends how far you stretch "something like this". If you're talking about fixing a CL game for the kind of money being mentioned here then I think you're just about right.

If we're talking about smaller teams with players on less money, particularly players who haven't had particularly illustrious careers or who look unlikely to actually make it at a top level then I wouldn't be surprised.

There could be some squad players or low profile youth players involved in unimportant CL games that I think might get involved in something like this in a CL game. The problem for the betting syndicates in those cases would be to know who would start the games.

I could quite easily see either aging players who haven't made a ton of money and feel their careers getting towards the end or younger players who never really broke into a top side and got regular football look for a quick pay day or two.

Back