• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emirates Marketing Project

If you're calling it a project, it extends beyond Manchester to other continents.

Every Football Puritan loves to have a pop at MLS. It deserves some credit, though, for at least putting a cap on unlimited spending so that the NY City chapter of this project cannot copy what Emirates Marketing Project are doing. For the moment, any way.

Their financial might has proved to be more of a burden as expectations have yet to be met and for every David Villa they have fielded, there is a heartless poser like Frank Lampard. And they have yet to find a suitable location to build their own stadium, having to rent and play on a ridiculously undersized pitch at Yankee Stadium. Occasionally, when schedules conflict, Yankees games force NY City to move games to other locations with hilarious results - no one shows up for them. OK. Dozens show up.

They want to be big players and MLS want them to be big players. But it's not like there is this huge groundswell of support from the public. Most people in New York city don't give a flip. Long may this frustration continue.

That's the downside of City's global project. Fans in great sports cities know they are being duped. For sports fans in New York and Melbourne (?) that is hard to swallow.

Pep being called a Genius is hard to swallow.

450m spent in 18 months and that son top of what was already at the club. Not for me.

The 18 point gap which I expect to be 20+ is as much to do with Mourinho not doing the buisness he should based on 180m spent on two players (for example).

450m spent in 18 months and that son top of what was already at the club. Not for me.

The 18 point gap which I expect to be 20+ is as much to do with Mourinho not doing the buisness he should based on 180m spent on two players (for example).
Quite agree. Clearly Pep can identify a player and can coach a winning style of football after buying any player he wants, but like you say, I think this dominance in the PL is only what should be expected based on the investment.

Would have been interesting to see how he’d have coped if he’d have had to operate under FFP guidelines last summer and Jan, that would be like £50m net spend? (that’s probably generous based on the tv money.)

Quite agree. Clearly Pep can identify a player and can coach a winning style of football after buying any player he wants, but like you say, I think this dominance in the PL is only what should be expected based on the investment.

Would have been interesting to see how he’d have coped if he’d have had to operate under FFP guidelines last summer and Jan, that would be like £50m net spend? (that’s probably generous based on the tv money.)

People always snipe when you say these things but could he have done what Eddie Howe had done at Bournemouth? I think he is a talent but I think people go overboard with him. He came in last year and did not have the initial impact that Conte did with Chelsea and has since surpassed him with high spend.

People always snipe when you say these things but could he have done what Eddie Howe had done at Bournemouth? I think he is a talent but I think people go overboard with him. He came in last year and did not have the initial impact that Conte did with Chelsea and has since surpassed him with high spend.
Good comparison with Conte there, I guess they’d argue lack of European football last season helped Chelsea, but I thought City last season were hugely disappointing and a massive failure frankly.

A genius for managerial choices, perhaps, even more so than Mourinho. Emirates Marketing Project are the poorest club Pep has managed. Barcelona and Bayern are members of the elite European quartet and he inherited players from their great youth systems.* Emirates Marketing Project offered money and the prospect of long term security. It's hard to see where he goes next, assuming Real and United are off-limits, so he will be ultimately judged on whether he can do a Ferguson or a half-Wenger.

* La Masia and the Bundesliga, repectively.

last season were hugely disappointing and a massive failure frankly.

They were and rather than roll his sleeves up he seemed to decide to strike on it all until he got the players he wanted.

I got no time for the genius tag when he moans about budgets then spends 100m on the final day of transfer window.

I'd rate Pep is a better manager than Jose personally.

A genius for managerial choices, perhaps, even more so than Mourinho. Emirates Marketing Project are the poorest club Pep has managed. Barcelona and Bayern are members of the elite European quartet and he inherited players from their great youth systems.* Emirates Marketing Project offered money and the prospect of long term security. It's hard to see where he goes next, assuming Real and United are off-limits, so he will be ultimately judged on whether he can do a Ferguson or a half-Wenger.

* La Masia and the Bundesliga, repectively.

Back to Barca in 2 years, probably with Kdb and sane.

This is an interesting article on how Guardiola used last season to mould the Emirates Marketing Project team into the shape he wanted: https://www.theblizzard.co.uk/article/positional-sense (long read). Even with practically unlimited funds, changing the fundamentals of how a team plays takes time. Guardiola's first season with City could be compared to Poch's first season with us in that regard.

Good comparison with Conte there, I guess they’d argue lack of European football last season helped Chelsea, but I thought City last season were hugely disappointing and a massive failure frankly.

Right: we massively failed in his first season, upgraded two first team positions, started breaking every record in the book, and you think Pep deserves minimal credit? Really?

Right: we massively failed in his first season, upgraded two first team positions, started breaking every record in the book, and you think Pep deserves minimal credit? Really?
I do love the way City play, but when you literally have no limitations on what you can spend and who you can get in the job is made a lot easier

The thing iIdon't get it the empty seats for every game you have at home

He bought 5 players for 230m in the summer and another CB for 60 odd million in Jan, this is on top of what he bought the season before when he first arrived and on top of what was already there.

I think it’s pretty unanimous that everyone thinks City are superb now under Pep, but you can’t expect people to just ignore the reason for it.

He bought 5 players for 230m in the summer and another CB for 60 odd million in Jan, this is on top of what he bought the season before when he first arrived and on top of what was already there.

I think it’s pretty unanimous that everyone thinks City are superb now under Pep, but you can’t expect people to just ignore the reason for it.
With that spend it would take incompetence of Sherwood-like proportions to not be breaking those records.

Guardiola's problem is that his current score is par for his spend. If he carries on and wins everything forever breaking every record in sight, his score will still be par. It's impossible to get above par when you've bought everything to the level City have. Every match he loses or draws is a failure on that spend.

Back