• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The London Taxpayers' Stadium Shambles

Re: O/T West Ham Named Olympic Stadium Preferred Bidders

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...e-can-create-a-super-club-in-east-London.html

West Ham's Olympic Stadium move can create a super club in east London

'Super club' is pushing it, but without doubt it can propel them upwards in a way they'll never achieve at The Boleyn.

To be given the sort of 'free money' a well-supported club like West Ham will be receiving is a massive bonus, and could easily see them eventually challenging and surpassing us on a consistent basis, which they've never managed before in the past 100+ years.

'Super club' is pushing it, but without doubt it can propel them upwards in a way they'll never achieve at The Boleyn.

To be given the sort of 'free money' a well-supported club like West Ham will be receiving is a massive bonus, and could easily see them eventually challenging and surpassing us on a consistent basis, which they've never managed before in the past 100+ years.

You're like a stuck record, mate!

Do you worry about and construct worst case scenarios for every area of your life or is it only West Ham that does this to you?

Cheer up! The end of the world might not be nearly as nigh as you think it is.

You're like a stuck record, mate!

Do you worry about and construct worst case scenarios for every area of your life or is it only West Ham that does this to you?

Cheer up! The end of the world might not be nearly as nigh as you think it is.
I'm just giving my opinion as you're giving yours, but don't worry I won't be replying to you any more as you seem to be taking offence at mine. Best I leave your views unchallenged from now on I think, but mine is not a worst case scenario at all. That would involve West Ham being a super club and winning the Prem and CL as Chelsea have done on the back of mega rich owners.

Mine is a very likely scenario of West Ham pushing on dramatically from the taxpayers largesse.

I'm just giving my opinion as you're giving yours, but don't worry I won't be replying to you any more as you seem to be taking offence at mine. Best I leave your views unchallenged from now on I think, but mine is not a worst case scenario at all. That would involve West Ham being a super club and winning the Prem and CL as Chelsea have done on the back of mega rich owners.

Mine is a very likely scenario of West Ham pushing on dramatically from the taxpayers largesse.

I really doubt it.

The stadium alone won't make West Ham a superclub, but JPG's point is that it could make them attractive for takeover by a rich owner who could. It might not be probable, but it's certainly possible.

The Kelso article is reasonable, although the article is at odds with the headline. He is saying that the stadium could help West Ham move up to European challengers, the level Spurs and Liverpool are at now, a notch below Arsenal (not the superclub of the headline). That is not unreasonable. The flawed argument is his statement that West Ham start at the same base as Spurs because of similar stadium capacities. This obviously ignores the different demand and the pricing, although his point that West Ham in the OS could match our matchday revenue acknowledges the difference. The general point seems reasonable, though. The new stadium would increase revenues, enable they to establish themselves as permanent PL member and leave room to grow into a European challenger or regular.

The stadium alone won't make West Ham a superclub, but JPG's point is that it could make them attractive for takeover by a rich owner who could. It might not be probable, but it's certainly possible.

The Kelso article is reasonable, although the article is at odds with the headline. He is saying that the stadium could help West Ham move up to European challengers, the level Spurs and Liverpool are at now, a notch below Arsenal (not the superclub of the headline). That is not unreasonable. The flawed argument is his statement that West Ham start at the same base as Spurs because of similar stadium capacities. This obviously ignores the different demand and the pricing, although his point that West Ham in the OS could match our matchday revenue acknowledges the difference. The general point seems reasonable, though. The new stadium would increase revenues, enable they to establish themselves as permanent PL member and leave room to grow into a European challenger or regular.
Well said JTS.
Chelsea and City have shown how 'not having history' is quickly transformed into history-making by mega money.

Chelsea and City had a bit more 'history' than West Ham now have, before they hit the jackpot, but West Ham do have 'some history', enough to launch an attack on the super clubs (Utd Pool and Arsenal traditionally). Whether they could match Chelsea and City I very much doubt, they're starting from a lower point in terms of achievement for one.

However as you and the article's author point out they easily be challengers along with ourselves and the currently 'demoted from superdom' Pool, to the very top teams who have dominated the Prem title and the English assault on the CL.

Last edited:

Not taking offence at your opinion. I just find it strange that you should have repeated the same doom-mongering post so often over the past day or two.

It's not just that you are insistent that everything that could go right for West Ham is "likely" to go right. It simultaneously seems to be beyond your imagination that Spurs might also make great strides forward over the coming years - despite the fact that we could well be in a new, far better 60K stadium of our own (with the ability to fill it with proper, paying fans) by the time that West Ham move into the Olympic stadium.

Well said JTS.
Chelsea and City have shown how 'not having history' is quickly transformed into history-making by mega money.

hmm...money has always played a role in football, even in the days of the so called amateur days. The pre-war Everton team, if I remember correctly, were mostly built on big money signings of the days (when most clubs were still relying on home grown talents). Scum avoided relegation after WWI using...hmm...what some suspected as bribery.

Money breeds success, I think we can all agree that the OS tenancy will benefit Spammers, may be even to a level that they will start challenging us.

hmm...money has always played a role in football, even in the days of the so called amateur days. The pre-war Everton team, if I remember correctly, were mostly built on big money signings of the days (when most clubs were still relying on home grown talents). Scum avoided relegation after WWI using...hmm...what some suspected as bribery.

Money breeds success, I think we can all agree that the OS tenancy will benefit Spammers, may be even to a level that they will start challenging us.

Too right Mr Green- our period of greatest success 1960-63 was when we were one of the richest clubs in the country and indeed we bought the title and the FA Cup 2 years in a row, etc as all our big stars and world class players were bought in, often with record or near record fees.

West Ham have a chance to transform their fortunes courtesy of the British taxpayer, it sickens me as I can see the authorities giving the Hammers the stadium and its attendant infrastructure away at a knockdown price.

Too right Mr Green- our period of greatest success 1960-63 was when we were one of the richest clubs in the country and indeed we bought the title and the FA Cup 2 years in a row, etc as all our big stars and world class players were bought in, often with record or near record fees.

West Ham have a chance to transform their fortunes courtesy of the British taxpayer, it sickens me as I can see the authorities giving the Hammers the stadium and its attendant infrastructure away at a knockdown price.

Harsh to say we bought the title. Yes there have always been rich teams and poor teams, but it's not like we had the money to go out band buy any and every player that we wanted like Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea can.

There's a good chance most PL clubs will be owned by a sugar daddy in the next 5-10 years, so why are West Ham going to overtake every other club that has money?

Harsh to say we bought the title. Yes there have always been rich teams and poor teams, but it's not like we had the money to go out band buy any and every player that we wanted like Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea can.

It might be harsh but we were the moneybags club at the time. We didn't produce any home-grown star players from the late 50s until Hoddle in the late 70s. Our whole philosophy from the mid 50s on and throughout the 60s was to buy in star talent, and we had the cash to do it. Lots of other clubs used to look enviously, and often critically, at the way we conducted our business.

During the 50s and 60s Utd produced a conveyor belt of home grown 'academy' talent

The Busby Babes such as Edwards and Charlton then later on Stiles (IIRC) and Best, the list if I looked it up would be a long one.

Arsenal's team that won the double cost a lot less than our team which finished 3rd, again IIRC.

Last edited:

There's a good chance most PL clubs will be owned by a sugar daddy in the next 5-10 years, so why are West Ham going to overtake every other club that has money?

If that's the case then they won't. That's not my reading of the situation though. I'm not at all convinced we're going to get in a sugar daddy to match Chelsea and City for example, and that opens up a great opportunity for West Ham to progress vis a vis us, if we don't and they do.

Last edited:

The end of the world is nigh!

Woe is us!

City's numbers came up soon after they got the Commonwealth Stadium so this could be the deal that tempts the right buyer in for West Ham. On the other hand, a big stadium could mean as little to them as Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Villa.

Back