• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Loan System

We benefitted from it with Ade in fairness but I would say no loans to teams within the same division.

Nelto's solution is a fair and simple one. The loan system undermines the premise that in the league everyone players everyone on equal terms. Obviously, there is luck involved with injuries and form, but there is no need to introduce a deliberate distortion by law (the FA made a bad situation worse). In addition, it provides a disincentive to stockpiling players by only allowing loans to lower leagues, which will be fine for developing players but rejected by those ready to play at PL level.

As a compromise, I might allow a single season PL loan for a player developed in a clubs academy since age 16. Loan spells in the lower leagues and one in the PL should be enough time to let the player develop and determine if the player can reach the required level.

There really is no need to loan out players you have bought. If they are not ready, don't buy them or be prepared to play them in the reserves/U21/U18 games.

What about a fixed squad of 20, similar to what we have at the moment but NO loans of senior players i.e. players over (insert age here *18/19/20/21)

So if you have a squad of 70 (cheatski), you're going to have 50 players not playing - ergo a mix of 50 annoyed players and/or 'winston bogardes', then an unlimited amount of players under the age of (*).

This would stop stockpiling. May increase the kidnapping of youth prospects, but wouldn't change the fact they would need to be pretty special to get to a top club and play. I think this would also benefit our national team as there would be more emphasis put on youth development and there is a greater chance of a home international player being developed than foreign players. I'm not naive enough to think no foreign kids would be taken on, Spurs have some decent prospects on their books from foreign climes - but the percentage of home international players vs foreign prospects is still in favour of the former.

Of course we would still be able to attract the global superstars, the Premier League brand won't disappear overnight. I think it's one area of State Side sport that would be a good thing to adopt, i.e. rosters and the next step, maybe even a wage cap...

I have suggested it on here many times before - a good solution to limit this massive problem, would be limits on squad size (25 players) + a maximum of three more on loan at other clubs. It would also make it far more difficult for the cashdoped clubs to simply buy their way out of trouble and stockpile talented players to avoid competitors to have them.

With this system, the Lukaku's would be fewer and competition would be fairer.

It is easy to fix - but only if you want to. Which I am certain the FA doesn't, as it will hurt their biggest brands and cash cows.

From today's Popbitch

FIFA are considering outlawing the whole football loans system, as they say big clubs are exploiting it for profit. (FYI: this season Juventus have loaned 41 players, Chelsea 22 and Emirates Marketing Project 188.)

From today's Popbitch

FIFA are considering outlawing the whole football loans system, as they say big clubs are exploiting it for profit. (FYI: this season Juventus have loaned 41 players, Chelsea 22 and Emirates Marketing Project 188.)

188? How is that possible?
Presumably across the whole group, not just Emirates Marketing Project. It still sounds incredibly high.

188? How is that possible?
Presumably across the whole group, not just Emirates Marketing Project. It still sounds incredibly high.

Emirates Marketing Project own other clubs around the world. I think a lot of their loanees are loaned out to other City Group clubs while their player license is held by Emirates Marketing Project. This arrangement alone is a very valid argument for abolishing or at least severely limiting the loan system.

The system is certainly being abused by some clubs (188!! wtf!) but outlawing it entirely seems a bit of a draconian step. Severe restrictions on loan numbers/durations/where they can go etc. might return it to its intended purpose.

Last edited:
Emirates Marketing Project own other clubs around the world. I think a lot of their loanees are loaned out to other City Group clubs while their player license is held by Emirates Marketing Project. This arrangement alone is a very valid argument for abolishing or at least severely limiting the loan system.

Thanks. That’s what I was getting at by talking about the group - although I hadn’t realised City held all the registrations.

There are clearly abuses of the system but a total ban would be a sledgehammer-nut solution. More governance is without doubt needed. There would have to be consultation between FIFA and member associations, wouldn’t there?

Before their latest bankruptcy, Parma had 226 players on their books (not including academy players).

Clubs should be allowed to send their young players out on loan as long as they've been with the club for at least a season or two. What you want to stop is the CIty and Chelsea model, where they hoover up all the young talent they can find and immediately send them out on loan before eventually selling for a nice profit.

Same with the Watford/Udinese/Grenada conglomerate. Watford had 10 players on loan from Udinese at one point. Having a shared scouting department is obviously beneficial, but it's not a sport any more when the main ambition is to make money from player trading.

From today's Popbitch

Missed this first time round. Totally agree with it if it could happen.

Also might stop them hoovering up all the young talent because then young talent would not go there knowing they would not get a first team game. Could be good for football because someone like Foden might go to a club that would actually play him more.

It should not be allowed to loan out more than a team of players, so maximum 11 players over the age of 19/20.

What about players developed at the club? Loans seem to be part of the development of most players. Banning loans for players that have just been bought would be a good step. Clubs would only buy players who were ready to play and clubs that develop players would keep them longer and be rewarded more when they leave.

i dont see what the issue is. if some arent happy with the loaning/transfering of players and the money that surrounds it, theres international football

What about players developed at the club? Loans seem to be part of the development of most players. Banning loans for players that have just been bought would be a good step. Clubs would only buy players who were ready to play and clubs that develop players would keep them longer and be rewarded more when they leave.

I don't see what you suggest as a problem.Not sure how many Spurs had out on loan, maybe a dozen and mainly youngsters. But 188 that's just a joke? even 22 seems excessive.

I don't like the loan system but it seems that fifa are only getting involved once English teams are abusing the system.

Would also want them to take a look at buy backs which are loans in all but name

Back