• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Limp Struggle to Sneak into the top 4 2021/22

It is bizarre, isn't it, the disconnect between different but similar scenarios?

Norwich have nothing to play for, so they will be relaxed and go for it so we will struggle
Everton have nothing to play for so will be on the beach so Arsenal just need to turn up to win.
It’s spurs fans
I have mates saying the same thing
The men laity change has to start with the fans imo as we’re the biggest part of it

It’s spurs fans
I have mates saying the same thing
The men laity change has to start with the fans imo as we’re the biggest part of it
Yes, I’ve been having a word with myself at several times this week, telling myself ‘we will do it’.

We definitely need to try and be a bit more resilient / confident as a fan base, but it is hard given the near misses we’ve had in the last 20 years.

I can see arse winning as they are better
But it’s odd how we have some of our fans making negative assumptions on our team and positive ones on others
I’ve said it before… we want to change the mentality…. Imagine being a new player and reading our fans talking about us blowing it
Pool fans wouldn’t do that would they!!!!
Nothing to do with making negative assumptions, all about recognising how unpredictable football can be. Would you not agree that understanding this reality is fundamental to changing the mentality?

This applies even more so on the last day of the season. With so much at steak, some teams freeze. Others with nothing to play for play out of their skins and nick an unexpected result. Remember Tottenham 1-5 Saudi Sportswashing Machine? Unless we go into Sunday's game accepting what could happen, we risk disaster.

Nothing to do with making negative assumptions, all about recognising how unpredictable football can be. Would you not agree that understanding this reality is fundamental to changing the mentality?

This applies even more so on the last day of the season. With so much at steak, some teams freeze. Others with nothing to play for play out of their skins and nick an unexpected result. Remember Tottenham 1-5 Saudi Sportswashing Machine? Unless we go into Sunday's game accepting what could happen, we risk disaster.

I'm no sports psychologist, but I think there's room for both if we're talking about how the players should approach a game. Ignore consequences, ignore risk, as much as possible. Focus on the job at hand.

From the fans in the stands I think reality ignoring, utter belief, lack of nervousness can impact the players positively to some (small) degree. Again, ignoring the opportunity for failure, can be useful.

For us as fans here, on a message board, talking about things I think an acceptance of reality is useful. Though for some it may not be.

Sorry but that’s you playing into your own way of thinking
No team of any quality enters the pitch fearing defeat. Fans though…. Fans can drag teams down. We have their fans in abundance

football isn’t unpredictable. It’s why bookies make money on it. The favourites generally win. The best sides win. The best players turn up. It’s literally why they are the best

I started listening to the spurs show pod earlier… 3 minutes in, it wouldn’t be spurs if we didn’t think we could fudge it up!!!! Utter bell ends IMO and exactly why we struggle to change the mindset

the 5-1 game precluded our best modern season IMO. It was useful and a learning experience

No team of any quality enters the pitch fearing defeat. Fans though…. Fans can drag teams down. We have their fans in abundance

football isn’t unpredictable. It’s why bookies make money on it. The favourites generally win. The best sides win. The best players turn up. It’s literally why they are the best

I started listening to the spurs show pod earlier… 3 minutes in, it wouldn’t be spurs if we didn’t think we could fudge it up!!!! Utter bell ends IMO and exactly why we struggle to change the mindset

the 5-1 game precluded our best modern season IMO. It was useful and a learning experience

Acceptance and fear are not the same thing. One can accept a potentially nasty outcome without fearing it, certainly without actively fear at any given point including during a game.

Football is unpredictable. Bookies set odds in part of what are probable outcomes. But beyond those probabilities it's not predictable.

The best sides win more that poor teams. The best teams win way more often against a poor team. But bookies offer odds on them winning and still make money. The reason you don't bet your net worth on one of the best teams beating one of the worst teams is because football is, to some extent, unpredictable.

I’d never advocate freezing steak. Loses all its moisture when it thaws…

Acceptance and fear are not the same thing. One can accept a potentially nasty outcome without fearing it, certainly without actively fear at any given point including during a game.

Football is unpredictable. Bookies set odds in part of what are probable outcomes. But beyond those probabilities it's not predictable.

The best sides win more that poor teams. The best teams win way more often against a poor team. But bookies offer odds on them winning and still make money. The reason you don't bet your net worth on one of the best teams beating one of the worst teams is because football is, to some extent, unpredictable.
You sound like someone who doesn’t go to the games - I’m not having a dig.
When you go you can sense the negativity -!: fear reactively quickly if we don’t start well
The players react to it too (edit sully Sanchez, Emerson and Sessengon)
Go to anfield and it’s whole different story
It’s possibly why some teams can integrate players quicker

Or celebratory and playing with confidence as they have no pressure
I hope you’re right. But given how dire they have been all season and what a chelsea fan fat frank is I lean towards them actually wearing flip flops and drinking roostertails as they run out.

In over 65 years supporting Spurs I have never subscribed to the ridiculous S p u r s y mentality. On the contrary, I scorn it and in the past have had many a bitter argument on here with those who subscribe to it.

But every footballer on this earth regardless of mindset knows that things can go wrong in a game and that the best and ONLY way to prevent that from happening is to be alive to the dangers. Yes of course, go in believing 100% you will win, but for the love of Ghod do not go in believing you do not need to be on your guard that things might go wrong.

To be prepared is to be forearmed.

You sound like someone who doesn’t go to the games - I’m not having a dig.
When you go you can sense the negativity -!: fear reactively quickly if we don’t start well
The players react to it too (edit sully Sanchez, Emerson and Sessengon)
Go to anfield and it’s whole different story
It’s possibly why some teams can integrate players quicker

Again, acceptance isn't necessarily negativety either.

As I've posted very recently I do believe fans influence players. I do think more positivity and less nervousness can impact the players in a good way.

I don't think the path to that for us as fans is not accepting reality. For that to really change, in a way that has an impact, you need repeated positive experiences, trophies, that feeling that the team will get the job done. I believe that's possible along with acceptance of risk.

Again, acceptance isn't necessarily negativety either.

As I've posted very recently I do believe fans influence players. I do think more positivity and less nervousness can impact the players in a good way.

I don't think the path to that for us as fans is not accepting reality. For that to really change, in a way that has an impact, you need repeated positive experiences, trophies, that feeling that the team will get the job done. I believe that's possible along with acceptance of risk.
Fully agree
The reality is our players are much much better than there’s
So we should be able to beat them

In over 65 years supporting Spurs I have never subscribed to the ridiculous S p u r s y mentality. On the contrary, I scorn it and in the past have had many a bitter argument on here with those who subscribe to it.

But every footballer on this earth regardless of mindset knows that things can go wrong in a game and that the best and ONLY way to prevent that from happening is to be alive to the dangers. Yes of course, go in believing 100% you will win, but for the love of Ghod do not go in believing you do not need to be on your guard that things might go wrong.

To be prepared is to be forearmed.
You need to believe that we do our best work we will win
That’s it
You can’t do anymore

It puzzles me that people keep bringing up the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game at the end of the 15/16 season. We had nothing to play for in that game. Our title chase had left us deflated and given we had already clinched CL, I don't think the players gave a rat's ass if our final position would be 2nd or 3rd. They were just going through the motions to finish the season. This time around we have everything to play for. And we have Conte and a more mature team. Apples and oranges.

It puzzles me that people keep bringing up the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game at the end of the 15/16 season. We had nothing to play for in that game. Our title chase had left us deflated and given we had already clinched CL, I don't think the players gave a rat's ass if our final position would be 2nd or 3rd. They were just going through the motions to finish the season. This time around we have everything to play for. And we have Conte and a more mature team. Apples and oranges.

West Ham away was the real crushing disappointment that year.

Back