• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Limp Struggle to Sneak into the top 4 2021/22

Man Utd are in such disarray at the moment, they looked awful last night and their goal was an own goal. The Spammers are punching, but they have momentum and thats what Leicester had in 2015, so we shouldn’t write them off. Arsenal, I think, are going to struggle to stay in their current position and currently are over performing. So for me, 4th place is very realistic, especially when you look at the games we have in hand (Leicester was arguably the difficult one and we somehow managed to get the 3pts there).

Chelsea too good for us this season (proven) so I believe top 3 is beyond us.

Conte is methodically reshaping the team so I can say quite confidently our worst performances are behind us.

4th onwards... Its a scrap and going to be very narrow. Certainly do-able especially if we cut out mistakes and injuries to key players.

Biggest issue for us is fixture pile up. Hope Arsenal gets more fixtures postponed to even things up.

Conte is methodically reshaping the team so I can say quite confidently our worst performances are behind us.

4th onwards... Its a scrap and going to be very narrow. Certainly do-able especially if we cut out mistakes and injuries to key players.

Biggest issue for us is fixture pile up. Hope Arsenal gets more fixtures postponed to even things up.

Still a lot left of the season and most teams are capable of putting a strong or poor run together.

Only thing we can do is put a good run together ourselves and see what happens.

I think you're probably right and the worst performances are behind us. Seems to be a real positive mood with a lot of belief and hard work right now. Can't ask for much more short term.

I think Chelsea is possible, but a long shot. Would need a lot of things to go right.

Man Utd are in such disarray at the moment, they looked awful last night and their goal was an own goal. The Spammers are punching, but they have momentum and thats what Leicester had in 2015, so we shouldn’t write them off. Arsenal, I think, are going to struggle to stay in their current position and currently are over performing. So for me, 4th place is very realistic, especially when you look at the games we have in hand (Leicester was arguably the difficult one and we somehow managed to get the 3pts there).
Utd should've been out of sight by half time last night. I don't know how you make out that it was an own goal, Pogba scored with a decent finish. Think they've dropped too many points recently though to be in with a real chance.
WHam have been lucky in a couple of recent games and think the Europa League will have an impact on them.
Arsenal are playing decent at the moment and I think it's really between us and them. Our game against them could be a decider for it.

Covid hasn't been kind to us. New stadium, fixture congestion, teams with players away using it as an excuse to avoid playing us etc. Will be a wildcard for every one.

What fixture pile up? We've only got the league and fa cup to play.
That's between 18 and 21 games to play (after today) in 14 weeks. Most weeks we'll have a full week break between games.
We've just had a winter break.

What fixture pile up? We've only got the league and fa cup to play.
That's between 18 and 21 games to play (after today) in 14 weeks. Most weeks we'll have a full week break between games.
We've just had a winter break.
Well we do have 3 more games to play than Chelsea and Wham and our season end injury record hasn't been great. Yes, new coach and fitness team, but I'm not sure about Kane especially, already seems less mobile than last season. I won't be fussed if we drop out of the cups completely to give us the best chance of top four placing.

Well we do have 3 more games to play than Chelsea and Wham and our season end injury record hasn't been great. Yes, new coach and fitness team, but I'm not sure about Kane especially, already seems less mobile than last season. I won't be fussed if we drop out of the cups completely to give us the best chance of top four placing.

Chelsea has world club cup, league cup and europe. West ham has europe.

Drop out of our one chance of winning a trophy. I hope Conte and the players have a better attitude and believe they can win a trophy and get top 4.

Well I really hope Kane can complete a season in top form. Has had too many bad end of seasons and we don't have a back up yet (Kulu isn't tested}. CL final and Leicester winning the league come to mind.

Well I really hope Kane can complete a season in top form. Has had too many bad end of seasons and we don't have a back up yet (Kulu isn't tested}. CL final and Leicester winning the league come to mind.

Kulu isn’t a Kane backup. I think with our games in hand, 4th is our’s to lose. We only need to draw each of the games in hand to be level with West Ham. Win just half of them and we will be two points ahead.

West Ham have performed well by their standards. They rarely finish top 6. But top 4 is surely beyond them.

United aren’t as poor as people say. Certainly, they have a squad that could just come together at any point for a good run of form. Of course the Martial loan and the Greenwood situation hasn’t helped.

Arsenal are the biggest threats for me. They will be missing fire power but will likely have benefited from Aubameyang leaving and have certainty over their squad.

As for Chelsea, yes, they are better than us but that doesn’t guarantee that they will finish ahead of us. Their form has been very patchy and their problems with Lukaku, and wingbacks could cause them to continue poor form.

I think we're in a very good position for fourth place:

- We don't need to win all games in hand to go fourth. Two wins and two losses could be enough, provided one of those wins are against Arse.
- We have key players back from injury (Romero, Son).
- We have strengthened our squad in the January transfer window, with players that fit our system.
- Harry Kane, who performed way under par in the first half of the season, looks like he's hitting form.
- With every training session and game we play, we will likely increasingly meet Conte's performance standards.

I agree with @El Guepardo that Arse are likely the biggest threat for fourth place, due to them only having the league to focus on. That doesn't mean we should underestimate either West Ham or Manure, but I think their European fixtures will be distracting as the season goes on. The FA Cup could also be a distraction for us, of course, but I think internally the club will have their eyes set on CL qualification next season, and prioritize thereafter.

As usual of course: One game at at time, starting with Southampton tonight. Only three points is good enough.

I think we're in a very good position for fourth place:
- We don't need to win all games in hand to go fourth. Two wins and two losses could be enough, provided one of those wins are against Arse.
Ah, yes, I remember that season when Leicester won the title. We only needed, what, three points from the last four matches in order to finish second? Managed only two.

Ah, yes, I remember that season when Leicester won the title. We only needed, what, three points from the last four matches in order to finish second? Managed only two.

It's a lot easier chasing something rather than picking up points after Leicester had won the league.

I think the fact we're not in Europe and have a fresher squad makes us def favourites for fourth atm.

Drop out of our one chance of winning a trophy. I hope Conte and the players have a better attitude and believe they can win a trophy and get top 4.
Stretching ourselves too thin is also a big risk... Especially when we still have gaps in the squad. This year I'd rather top 4 and go for a trophy next year with the right personnel.

Back