• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The January Centre Midfield thread

He's way ahead of Postiga and Blondel, both in terms of potential as well as actual ability.

Last edited:
I really don't think he's in the same bracket as any of the names mentioned on here so far.

In fact I would say he's a typical Spurs signing (a new Postiga, Blondel, Ziegler etc)

Eriksen is the real deal. Stop basing everything on a few games you saw at the Euros.

Where does the new midfielder play? Alongside Sandro pushing Dembele further forward where he isn't as effective? Or do we buy a proper replacement for VdV?

Ideally we need someone who's going to score goals.

I would guess AVB's masterplan is to have a flatter midfield trio (or Sandro at the back of a V), with our wingers becoming inside forwards.

---------Ade
Bale---------Willian

Moutinho--Dembele
------Sandro

type of thing.

Ajax tell Liverpool to cough up £20million for Christian Eriksen
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has been told he must stump up £20million to land Ajax star Christian Eriksen, according to reports in Holland.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/footba...20million-for-christian-eriksen#ixzz2DKFa8zfx

Seems he'd be rather expensive.
Yeah, he's young and wanted by many tops clubs in Europe. If we signed him for £20 million then I would think we're moving in the right direction, rather than spunking £15 million on David Bentley

i don't think avb will push for a 4-3-3 just yet.
apart from another ball playing fulcrum in CM, lennon isn't good enough as a wing forward. and we'll need backup for bale and dembele too.
just too much too soon.

I'm not particularly bothered about getting another striker right now and I don't see left back as much of a concern either. Benny should be back soon, Vertonghen and Naughton can cover there well enough and Danny Rose will be back next season.

i don't think avb will push for a 4-3-3 just yet.
apart from another ball playing fulcrum in CM, lennon isn't good enough as a wing forward. and we'll need backup for bale and dembele too.
just too much too soon.

The sensible move would be to wait until the summer, get the transfers done early (lol i know), and then get some practice using 4-3-3 in the friendlies.

I would guess AVB's masterplan is to have a flatter midfield trio (or Sandro at the back of a V), with our wingers becoming inside forwards.

---------Ade
Bale---------Willian

Moutinho--Dembele
------Sandro

type of thing.

Not sure there are enough goals in that side

Moutinho is a pipe dream now anyway imo. Porto would firstly have to be willing to sell and after selling Hulk i doubt they are now. Also they're gonna progress in the CL more than likely and Moutinho himself said he's definately not leaving in January.

Yeah, he's young and wanted by many tops clubs in Europe. If we signed him for £20 million then I would think we're moving in the right direction, rather than spunking £15 million on David Bentley

How's Bentley doing in Russia?
Maybe he's tearing up the league over there playing centre mid and he could come back on top of his game and be the solution we need? :-k

Not sure there are enough goals in that side

Good point.

I guess the idea would be that the front 5 chip in with 10+ each, rather than having a front two scoring 25 each.

Or if we moving from playing on the break, to being a possession side, we could swap Ade for more of a goalscoring lone forward (like Leandro).

----------------------------------------Ade----------------------------------------

-----Bale------------------------------------------------------------_____---------

-----------------------------Dembele-------Sigurddson----------------------------

---------------------------------------Sandro----------------------------------------

I think a creative right sided midfielder with the ability to go infield and also fill in as an AMC if needed is what we need most. Willian, Pjanic etc etc might be more needed for the team than Moutinho.

----------------------------------------Ade----------------------------------------

-----Bale------------------------------------------------------------_____---------

-----------------------------Dembele-------Sigurddson----------------------------

---------------------------------------Sandro----------------------------------------

I think a creative right sided midfielder with the ability to go infield and also fill in as an AMC if needed is what we need most. Willian, Pjanic etc etc might be more needed for the team than Moutinho.

That diagram is just calling out for Arjen Robben! (not saying I want him/good idea etc) It's just the first thing I thought of with him cutting in on his left and notching 10-15 a season.

Swap Demspey for Willian and we're rocking

This.

Willian can also cover either wing, so if either Lennon or Bale is out or Bale will be sold in the summer, we'll already have the replacement. Even though we're a couple of players short of having a"perfect" squad, I'd be happy if Willian were the only player coming in in the january window.

Touche', I did forget about Carroll.

I would rather have Moutinho/other proven, central midfielder than Carroll at the moment, but I think he can become a very good player with more experience. His movement and involvement is very promising. I like that he is a player that wants the ball, and knows how to pick out a good pass. His decision making lets him down sometimes - plus he's a tiny lad (but so is Modric) - but that will come with experience.

that what we call a wonky

Back