• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The 'Hello, I'm New Here' Thread

Long time lurker, first time poster.. I am a big admirer of this forum and feel like now is a good time to get aboard.

I've been a Spurs fan for fifteen years and have never been more excited about the club than I am at the moment.. The likes of Soldado, Paulinho, Capoue and Chadli are blending in beautifully and with Holtby, Siggy, Townsend, Lennon, Sandro Defoe, Ade etc providing competition, we really are in a fantastic position.

Did someone say Gareth Bale? This guy is basically dead to me now, I always thought he was a real model pro, but recent developments have left me with a bitter taste in my mouth.

Anyway, that's enough of my excited rantings, I'll be in the vice den!

*waves*

Hello.

I'm Neil, I've been registered on here for a while but never posted before.

I won't lie to you - I'm not much of a Spurs fan, or a fan of football in general really, but my two boys are into football so I'm showing an interest.

My brother is a Paxton Rd season ticket holder as are quite a few of my cousins/uncle/aunt.

I've been to WHL twice, the FA cup 3rd round ties last season (Coventry) and the season before (Cheltenham)

Cheers!

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk - now Free

New Member Here - If I May Introduce Myself….

Evening all, new member here.

I am posting under the name Caribbean Spurs. I have been an avid reader of this forum for years now, and decided to finally get involved.

I am quite an active and well known poster on an alternative multi team forum, where I post under a different name.

First of all if I may tell you a bit about myself and my Spurs history.

Well, i was born in Enfield, and travelled to live back and forth between the Caribbean and London during my early years. i eventually settled in London (Upper Edmonton to be specific) before moving a little further afield, i now live in North West London.

I grew up in a family of Spurs fans, my dad, my uncle, my grandfather. My very first Spurs game was in Autumn of 1995 (aged 9). We lost 1-0 at home to Forest, Steve Stone scoring a cross shot. I remember it like it was yesterday.

I currently attend virtually every home game, me and my friends have a couple of season tickets and we tend to rotate who goes, although i always insist on going as much as I can. I also make 5 or 6 away games a season usually, but sadly I made 0 away games in this most recent season.

I sit in the Park Lane Upper, and am very disappointed with the terrible atmosphere at WHL these days.

In terms of my posting style, well, I think that I am going to struggle to stay on the good side of the admins and those infraction rules, but I will try my best!

I am strong and sure on my opinions and I like to debate.

So I really look forward to getting stuck in to some of the regulars I see on here!

I hope you will enjoy my contributions and I look forward to debating and conversing with you all.

Re: New Member Here - If I May Introduce Myself….

Evening all, new member here.

I am posting under the name Caribbean Spurs. I have been an avid reader of this forum for years now, and decided to finally get involved.

I am quite an active and well known poster on an alternative multi team forum, where I post under a different name.

First of all if I may tell you a bit about myself and my Spurs history.

Well, i was born in Enfield, and travelled to live back and forth between the Caribbean and London during my early years. i eventually settled in London (Upper Edmonton to be specific) before moving a little further afield, i now live in North West London.

I grew up in a family of Spurs fans, my dad, my uncle, my grandfather. My very first Spurs game was in Autumn of 1995 (aged 9). We lost 1-0 at home to Forest, Steve Stone scoring a cross shot. I remember it like it was yesterday.

I currently attend virtually every home game, me and my friends have a couple of season tickets and we tend to rotate who goes, although i always insist on going as much as I can. I also make 5 or 6 away games a season usually, but sadly I made 0 away games in this most recent season.

I sit in the Park Lane Upper, and am very disappointed with the terrible atmosphere at WHL these days.

In terms of my posting style, well, I think that I am going to struggle to stay on the good side of the admins and those infraction rules, but I will try my best!

I am strong and sure on my opinions and I like to debate.

So I really look forward to getting stuck in to some of the regulars I see on here!

I hope you will enjoy my contributions and I look forward to debating and conversing with you all.

Welcome! Are you a lady?

Sent from my HTC One using Fapatalk

Hey everyone.

I just started following soccer/football (which will I get flamed for least using here?) about 2 years ago and that to a very passive extent. I live, and grew up in, Iowa in the US. I grew up the "stereotypical" American football jock. I played American football through college and didn't understand soccer (for the remainder of this post I'll call it soccer as that's what I've known it as for my 26 years on Eath...I'll get used to another name as time goes on) and pretty much hated it. I put a lot of that on ignorance as soccer where I grew up (and the upper mid-west in general) isn't played at any level past about age 12 anywhere as everyone switches to American football at that point. However, as soccer has been shown more and more on TV here I've started to grow towards it. There are still MANY things I don't "understand" outside of the game (though I'm still not a fan of the running clock and stoppage time...call that ignorant American bullcrap if you wish. It just makes sense to me to stop the clock after goals, fouls, injuries, etc... until play resumes).

Long story short a couple years ago ESPN started showing BPL games and I'd catch pieces here and there but never followed it, or could name any players or teams. I became hooked on how beautifully the game could look. ESPN did a **** poor job with the BPL and it was taken over by NBCSports last spring. They ran promo after promo after promo for 3 or 4 months leading up to the season with a couple shows a week doing team previews, league history shows, league previews, etc... I got caught up in the hype and wanted to find a club to follow as I figured part of my issue in the past has been I had no connection to any team so there was no real incentive to really follow the seasons prior. I took probably 15 of those childish "Which fanbase do I belong too" quizzes online and they all came between Tottenham, Arsenal, or Liverpool. Knowing very little about any of them I blindly chose Tottenham last August and started following results and reading some on the history. I must say I became quite hooked the last 9 months.

There is a large number of things that I don't fully understand but I'm going to take it one step at a time and just "ease" into it.

I don't entirely understand qualifying for the, what seems like 30 different, leagues/cups. I get the basics of it just not the logistics and technicalities of it all.
I don't understand the loaning of players - especially to other clubs in the same league.
I don't quite understand transfer - I'm assuming it's just a lot like free agency in American sports?

I'm not even going to try to learn about the 900 different European leagues and 10,000 clubs. I'm going to just focus on getting the BPL "understood" for a while and go from there.:lol::lol:

I live just 3.5 hours from Chicago and am seriously considering buying tickets to the friendly vs. Chicago in July.

I likely will post very little but will do a lot of reading to keep learning about the club, the history, the future, etc...

Hey everyone.

I just started following soccer/football (which will I get flamed for least using here?) about 2 years ago and that to a very passive extent. I live, and grew up in, Iowa in the US. I grew up the "stereotypical" American football jock. I played American football through college and didn't understand soccer (for the remainder of this post I'll call it soccer as that's what I've known it as for my 26 years on Eath...I'll get used to another name as time goes on) and pretty much hated it. I put a lot of that on ignorance as soccer where I grew up (and the upper mid-west in general) isn't played at any level past about age 12 anywhere as everyone switches to American football at that point. However, as soccer has been shown more and more on TV here I've started to grow towards it. There are still MANY things I don't "understand" outside of the game (though I'm still not a fan of the running clock and stoppage time...call that ignorant American bullcrap if you wish. It just makes sense to me to stop the clock after goals, fouls, injuries, etc... until play resumes).

Long story short a couple years ago ESPN started showing BPL games and I'd catch pieces here and there but never followed it, or could name any players or teams. I became hooked on how beautifully the game could look. ESPN did a **** poor job with the BPL and it was taken over by NBCSports last spring. They ran promo after promo after promo for 3 or 4 months leading up to the season with a couple shows a week doing team previews, league history shows, league previews, etc... I got caught up in the hype and wanted to find a club to follow as I figured part of my issue in the past has been I had no connection to any team so there was no real incentive to really follow the seasons prior. I took probably 15 of those childish "Which fanbase do I belong too" quizzes online and they all came between Tottenham, Arsenal, or Liverpool. Knowing very little about any of them I blindly chose Tottenham last August and started following results and reading some on the history. I must say I became quite hooked the last 9 months.

There is a large number of things that I don't fully understand but I'm going to take it one step at a time and just "ease" into it.

I don't entirely understand qualifying for the, what seems like 30 different, leagues/cups. I get the basics of it just not the logistics and technicalities of it all.
I don't understand the loaning of players - especially to other clubs in the same league.
I don't quite understand transfer - I'm assuming it's just a lot like free agency in American sports?

I'm not even going to try to learn about the 900 different European leagues and 10,000 clubs. I'm going to just focus on getting the BPL "understood" for a while and go from there.:lol::lol:

I live just 3.5 hours from Chicago and am seriously considering buying tickets to the friendly vs. Chicago in July.

I likely will post very little but will do a lot of reading to keep learning about the club, the history, the future, etc...

You'll fit in well here. There a lot of that on this board.

Welcome.

Hey everyone.

Clearly Not a Glory Hunter! Good choice of club to support. Prepare for years of disappointment, punctuated by moments of utter heartbreak and very rare instances of utter joy! \o/

We've been described in the past as the football equivalent of the bears. Great history, win very little.
In England we have 2 domestic cups, the fa cup and the league cup.
The league cup is seen as the lesser of the 2, it's only open to the 92 proffesional teams. The fa cup is open to all which it's why it's seen as more romantic as a tiny amateur team can get drawn to play a 'giant'.

The loan system basically means if you have a player that isn't quite ready for the team, he may need more experience elsewhere, so the team that owns him may hire him out to another team. The new team may pay his wages, or even a fee to borrow the player.

The transfer system means as follows, every player has a contract with a team. If another team wish the player to play for them they will try to buy the player. They will pay an agreeable sum to the current team, and then negotiate a contract with the player.
As an example, when Gareth bale wanted to leave tottenham, Madrid made an offer of say 50m, spurs wanted 100m, eventually a deal was agreed that Madrid would buy bale from us for the fee of 85m. As long as the player agrees a contract then the transfer is finalised.
Quite often like with Bentner, arsenal wanted to sell him. A fee was agreed with another team to buy him. The player then wanted too much money so the transfer didn't happen.

Hope this helps a bit

Hey everyone.

Long story short a couple years ago ...

Welcome to the Spurs fold.

A couple of points. Despite what some people will tell you, Soccer is an acceptable term. It is a nineteenth century school boy abbreviation for Association Football, similar to the rugger for Rugby Union Football. Most places call their dominant football code football and soccer is our dominant code. Places with a local code that is dominant tend to use soccer and use football for their code (gridiron, Aussie rules, etc). So soccer is acceptable but you'd be wiser to use football.

A transfer is a player trade. Unlike the US, the custom is to exchange a player for money (the transfer fee) rather than for players of equivalent value (salry cap number). The latter occasionally happens but is quite rare. Players do become free agents at the end of their contracts so clubs try not to let contracts run down. They will offer new longer contracts to a player with a year or two left and if the player refuses the new contact the club will try and sell to get a transfer fee rather than let the player leave for nothing.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Spurs fold.

A couple of points. Despite what some people will tell you, Soccer is an acceptable term. It is a school boy abbreviation for Association Football, similar to the rugger for Rugby Union Football. Most places call their dominant football code football and soccer is our dominant code. Places with a local code that is dominant tend to use soccer and use football for their code (gridiron, Aussie rules, etc).

A transfer is a player trade. Unlike the US, the custom is to exchange a player for money (the transfer fee) rather than for players of equivalent value (salry cap number). The latter occasionally happens but is quite rare. Players do become free agents at the end of their contracts so clubs try not to let contracts run down. They will offer new longer contracts to a player with a year or two left and if the player refuses the new contact the club will try and sell to get a transfer fee rather than let the player leave for nothing.

Not until Americans accept the term 'hand egg'. [-(

Clearly Not a Glory Hunter! Good choice of club to support. Prepare for years of disappointment, punctuated by moments of utter heartbreak and very rare instances of utter joy! \o/

I'm quite used to disappointment in my American teams...Minnesota Vikings and Minnesota Twins. May as well add a foreign disappointment to my life...

Sent from my S4 using Fapatalk so if there is typos deal with it.

We've been described in the past as the football equivalent of the bears. Great history, win very little.
In England we have 2 domestic cups, the fa cup and the league cup.
The league cup is seen as the lesser of the 2, it's only open to the 92 proffesional teams. The fa cup is open to all which it's why it's seen as more romantic as a tiny amateur team can get drawn to play a 'giant'.

The loan system basically means if you have a player that isn't quite ready for the team, he may need more experience elsewhere, so the team that owns him may hire him out to another team. The new team may pay his wages, or even a fee to borrow the player.

The transfer system means as follows, every player has a contract with a team. If another team wish the player to play for them they will try to buy the player. They will pay an agreeable sum to the current team, and then negotiate a contract with the player.
As an example, when Gareth bale wanted to leave tottenham, Madrid made an offer of say 50m, spurs wanted 100m, eventually a deal was agreed that Madrid would buy bale from us for the fee of 85m. As long as the player agrees a contract then the transfer is finalised.
Quite often like with Bentner, arsenal wanted to sell him. A fee was agreed with another team to buy him. The player then wanted too much money so the transfer didn't happen.

Hope this helps a bit

That does help. Transfers I'd just trading for money rather than other players and every player is "always on the transfer block". Got it.

The loaning is still Still a foreign concept to me...literally I guess.. The NBA and MLB have a minor league system and the NFL doesn't do that. It makes sense to do it to prepare a player was just odd to hear of a player on loan to another club in the same league

Sent from my S4 using Fapatalk so if there is typos deal with it.

With the loans, think of it in baseball terms, a player going down to a double or triple a team to get game time, only the team isn't owned or linked to the parent club

Re: Whilst times are good...........remember the bad and feel even better

That was probably our worst team...in my lifetime anyway..
Barry Daines in goal...Lol..he was at best a 3rd division keeper..

Greetings,

As my name suggests, I am an older (gentle?)man. I first started supporting Sours in the Double year, as did many others, and also because about tht time my youngest uncle, a football nut, married a girl from Edmonton, and was not given a choice as to who he had to support after that. Before he supported Brentford, so he traded up at least. My first visit to WHL was with my Dad for a Liverpool game. The Scousers (way before they were Bin Dippers) positioned themselves at the back of the terrace we were on and started out throwing eggs and other stuff, then somehow managed to combine their collective consciousness enough to all push at once and cause a crowd collapse. My Dad got a cracked rib as he fell against a crash barrier. Went with my uncle after that.

Was sort of a part time fan in the 70s and 80s, but got to a game now and again. In the 70s, well erm, I can't remember the 70s, and in the 80s as I was working on becoming the next computer billionaire. I then met my now wife and moved across the water to Philadelphia. Started visiting this forum as a link to people who called football football. Actually, it's good to see how football/soccer has progressed over here, and it's no longer a game kids only play until they are old enough to play hand egg ball. Support for the national team in this WC was amazing.

Anyway, thought it was about time I signed up and gave you lot the benefit of my sage wisdom.

Back