• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread - Officially Second In A One Horse Race

Reckon it'll be Arteta

No way, they'll want safe hands, not someone completely inexperienced.

But if someone like Poch rolled up, it wouldn't be so big , he couldn't care for the past.....just install his philosophy and get the ball rolling. Onwards and upwards.

The problem is there are not many Pochies:)

I like your use of "just", as if its that simple ;)

Their squad needs an over haul. Their mentality definitely needs an over haul. Everything that has been how it is for two decades is getting an over haul. So much change never runs smoothly.

Though I agree, they need a Poch type to come in.

More likely, IMO, with their set up - itll be coaches. A lot like modern clubs run, the plan/infrastructure etc is set up for the longer term, whoever is running the team is almost interchangeable. When they stop working get someone else in...

More likely, IMO, with their set up - itll be coaches. A lot like modern clubs run, the plan/infrastructure etc is set up for the longer term, whoever is running the team is almost interchangeable. When they stop working get someone else in...

I think that is likely too but it will take a couple of seasons to establish. That is why I would go for Conte, if I was them. He'd only want to be there a couple of season and would get them organised in the meantime.

I think that is likely too but it will take a couple of seasons to establish. That is why I would go for Conte, if I was them. He'd only want to be there a couple of season and would get them organised in the meantime.

I thought the same, but Ancelotti. Though seeing the Barca connection a decent coach from Spain wouldnt be a surprise either.

Change is a dangerous thing after such a prolonged period even if it is in the main, desired by those within and outside the club. He will have run more or less everything top to bottom in a fashion we don't see anymore so whoever comes in it will be a culture shock for all. Real catch 22 for them as staying would've hurt them further but change may possibly cause even more damage in the short to medium term.

I don't think that Ancelotti is necessarily a good choice at this juncture, He is a wonderful manager but I think he is at an age where having to build a new side totally from scratch which is what is required in all honesty, it might be beyond him. It is going to need someone with energy and a touch of youth and that's why I don't think Rodgers would be a bad choice. Despite all his look at me nonsense, he has a particular style and will look to implant that throughout and going forward for the long term that is what they need. Chopping and changing managers over the next 5-10 years will do them no good whatsoever.

Its a fantastic job for someone but they desperately have to get this appointment right. If it goes wrong then they could be in a world of pain for the next decade trying to fix it.

I think whoever they get will go down in history as their Souness (Liverpool) or Moyes (United).

It's a no win situation because the guy who had the last success carried on too long, but covered up the rot that had set in with a final splutter of momentum.

^ a lot of his power has been taken away from him these past couple of years and delegated to new arrivals in a much more continental approach (kind of ironic when you think about it - once the man who helped usher in the new age of English football with his experience of coaching abroad - now one of the last remaining example of old style English management) this will help ease the transition period.

Wenger has been wonderful as a manager and other that the odd bouts of myopia and garment wars has been a gentleman to.
I will miss him. and so will arsenal.

Wenger.gif

15 years ago I would have celebrated Wenger leaving, now it feels strangely indifferent.

He’s been a good adversary over the years though, and can’t fault the fact he tried to play football. Also nice we got a good few results over him before he left.

Hopefully they implode for the next decade.

Back