• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread - Officially Second In A One Horse Race

And thats before you look at what needs to happen on the field/with the squad.

As I see it an incoming manager has three priority areas to address. A central midfielder, a central defender and a goalkeeper. Then they need to weed out the bottlers, they've got too many players who look great when they are three nil up and not enough who put in a shift when things are going badly.

Wasn't there a Brendan Rodgers rumour a few days ago?

It has come up sporadically since last summer.

I read a while ago that Wenger's preference was meant to be Mikel Arteta. It would be an interesting choice, everyone seems to rate him. I would think that an appointment like that would make it likely that Wenger was still around in some capacity and that would make it a very difficult job.

As I see it an incoming manager has three priority areas to address. A central midfielder, a central defender and a goalkeeper. Then they need to weed out the bottlers, they've got too many players who look great when they are three nil up and not enough who put in a shift when things are going badly.

Id say they need to focus on those areas, but probably need 2 of each.

Im pretty sure they have a bunch of players who have contracts coming up, or are just getting too old. Or just arent good enough.

And thats before recognising the squad has no balance.

There is a VERY big job there, IMO.

As Milo says, I think the Fergie hangover could be much worse.

The truth is, when all is said and done, they are a massive prospect for any manager. Once the hang over has passed they are big, well funded, London club. Its a big opportunity to succeed. I just think it could easily be a few years before they shake Wengers influence off.

A lot depends on targets and direction of travel. United can realistically expect to be challenging for the title. Only City, United and possibly Chelsea have the money that means they should be challenging every year. Arsenal, Liverpool and especially us have to over-achieve. Fergie left United as champions and they fell from there. The expectations meant they kept changing manager.

Arsenal have slipped to sixth and shouldn't fall further. The new manager should be able to match Wenger's last position so should have more job stability. It may take time to improve them, but challenging for top four should be enough for the board to see it as encouraging signs (fans will disagree). They also have started installing a football structure. United lost Fergie and Gill at the same time.

Id say they need to focus on those areas, but probably need 2 of each.

Im pretty sure they have a bunch of players who have contracts coming up, or are just getting too old. Or just arent good enough.

And thats before recognising the squad has no balance.

There is a VERY big job there, IMO.

A Gooner mate was telling me yesterday that they had offered new contracts to Wheelchair and Corzola. Surely, they will have to put the breaks on those with a change in manager.

According to Transfer Markt Wheelchair, Corzola and Mertesacker are out of contract this summer with Czech, Monreal, Ramsey, Wellbeck, Ospina out of contract the year after. Any incoming manager is going to have to make some decisions on those players pretty quickly. Whilst they have money, they cannot afford to lose so many players for free and some of those players may be reluctant to sign new contracts when they do not know how they will fit in under a new manager.

A lot depends on targets and direction of travel. United can realistically expect to be challenging for the title. Only City, United and possibly Chelsea have the money that means they should be challenging every year. Arsenal, Liverpool and especially us have to over-achieve. Fergie left United as champions and they fell from there. The expectations meant they kept changing manager.

Arsenal have slipped to sixth and shouldn't fall further. The new manager should be able to match Wenger's last position so should have more job stability. It may take time to improve them, but challenging for top four should be enough for the board to see it as encouraging signs (fans will disagree). They also have started installing a football structure. United lost Fergie and Gill at the same time.

I think that it is too early to tell. A change of manager is always a risk, even more so when you are replacing someone who has run the club top to bottom for decades.

They've got a leg up on United post Fergie as they have been putting together the new setup above his head - a new coach coming in won't be rebuilding everything and can just focus on the team. Wouldn't be surprised to see an upturn in form pretty quickly, they've been woefully mismanaged on the pitch for years now

They installed a head of recruitment last November and a head of football relations is already appointed. The latter was Director of Football at Barcelona.

EMIRATES POWERBROKERS
Ivan Gazidis Chief executive. Arrived in 2009 but is determined to oversee the “change” that he promised supporters last year

Sven Mislintat Head of recruitment. Arrived in November from Borussia Dortmund. Already completed deal for Mavropanos and made bids for Mkhitaryan and Aubameyang

Raul Sanllehi Head of football relations. Former Barcelona director of football who will arrive next month with responsibility for leading negotiations with players and clubs

Huss Fahmy Transfer negotiator. Former Team Sky head of legal and commercial

Darren Burgess Director of high performance. Australian sports scientist who had a spell at Liverpool

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...ve-arsenal-at-the-end-of-the-season-3f0ts5wq6

I wouldn't be surprised if they have their man, possibly from Spain. It all looks as if Wenger was pushed.

They've got a leg up on United post Fergie as they have been putting together the new setup above his head - a new coach coming in won't be rebuilding everything and can just focus on the team. Wouldn't be surprised to see an upturn in form pretty quickly, they've been woefully mismanaged on the pitch for years now

Sanllehí looks like an interesting appointment, it will be interesting to see how the new structure works

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/new-arsenal-head-football-relations-raul-sanllehi-113614430.html

If anything it is worse, because he has had even more control over the club that Ferguson had. It is one hell of a job for any incoming manager.

My dream

Being_Liverpool_Ep_4_Brendan_Rodgers_Three_envelopes_speech.png
Come on, he's capable of winning a game.
if you really want to dream:
gettyimages-487283366.jpg

Im not even talking results, per se. As you say itll likely be "top 4 challenge and youll be fine". Its more the amount of work to get things so they are "yours" for the new manager.

Wengers fingerprint is on EVERY aspect there, changing that will take time IMO.

And while there is that transition I suspect itll be bumpy.

A good day for us. Yes Wenger was past it, but he was still delivering trophies. Still a great coach. He couldn't sort out their defense or scouting, buying and deal with player contracts. Which points to the club having issues as much as Wenger.

Betfair odds on next manager.

6/1 Carlo Ancelotti
7/1 Thomas Tuchel
8/1 Massimiliano Allegri
8/1 Brendan Rodgers
8/1 Mikel Arteta
8/1 Joachim Low
10/1 Thierry Henry
10/1 Lucien Favre
14/1 Diego Simeone
14/1 Rafael Benitez
16/1 Sean Dyche
16/1 Leonardo Jardim

Didn't Wenger mention some place that Vieira might succeed him? A Norwegian newspaper quoted him on that.

The Times mentioned Vieira today, the only name they stated, but gave no reasons why.

Betfair odds on next manager.

6/1 Carlo Ancelotti
7/1 Thomas Tuchel
8/1 Massimiliano Allegri
8/1 Brendan Rodgers
8/1 Mikel Arteta
8/1 Joachim Low
10/1 Thierry Henry
10/1 Lucien Favre
14/1 Diego Simeone
14/1 Rafael Benitez
16/1 Sean Dyche
16/1 Leonardo Jardim

Didn't Wenger mention some place that Vieira might succeed him? A Norwegian newspaper quoted him on that.

I thought that Vieira fell out with Arsenal. Tuchel looks like he is just about to be appointed at PSG.

Yes, I saw it reported yesterday "And Wenger believes his fellow Frenchman is a possible candidate to take over, whenever the opportunity may arise: “He’s a guy who has the potential one day [to manage Arsenal], yes".

There must have been rumours about Wenger going floating around yesterday. There was also an interview with donkey Adams "“I am not sure I'd want to go next [at Arsenal] after Arsene -- there might be a fallout and it might be complicated once he leaves,” Adams told Sky Sports. “But I wouldn't be afraid of it, that's for sure.”
Would never happen of course, but would be fun if it did.

Back