• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread - Officially Second In A One Horse Race

A bit of a surprise. He has always made a big issue of seeing out his contracts (and not rushing to renew) so I thought he would stay one last year. The thing I felt might have made him leave early was winning the Europa League, so he could leave with dignity on a high. While he could still exit that way, it's now out of his hands.

It feels like he has been ousted.

Arsene Wenger has announced he is to step down as manager of Arsenal at the end of the 2017-18 season.
The 68-year-old, moved to the north London club in 1996 and, having signed a new two-year-deal after winning the FA Cup last season, has been under increasing pressure to leave the Emirates in recent years.

Wenger, who has won three Premier League titles and seven FA Cups in his time at the club, said:
“After careful consideration and following discussions with the club, I feel it is the right time for me to step down at the end of the season.
“I am grateful for having had the privilege to serve the club for so many memorable years.
“I managed the club with full commitment and integrity.
“I want to thank the staff, the players, the Directors and the fans who make this club so special.
“I urge our fans to stand behind the team to finish on a high.
“To all the Arsenal lovers take care of the values of the club.

"My love and support for ever.”

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...anager-at-end-of-2017-18-season-a3819111.html

Would be a shadow hanging over the club for years...

I think this will be a lot like Utd, having someone take over from someone so ingrained - its a massive change.

Aside from which the squad is not in good shape at all, needs a lot of work.

If anything it is worse, because he has had even more control over the club that Ferguson had. It is one hell of a job for any incoming manager.

My dream

Being_Liverpool_Ep_4_Brendan_Rodgers_Three_envelopes_speech.png

Would be a shadow hanging over the club for years...

I think this will be a lot like Utd, having someone take over from someone so ingrained - its a massive change.

Aside from which the squad is not in good shape at all, needs a lot of work.

I've long held that view that coping with Wenger's departure would be difficult, with a post-fergie-like hangover, but now I'm not so sure. Fergie left United as champions, with an aging squad. The replacement had to rebuild and the only way was down. Arsenal have already slipped, and with their "financial mite" (thank-you, The Guardian) they won't drop further. The new man (or woman) can rebuild and has a decent chance of immediate improvement.

If anything it is worse, because he has had even more control over the club that Ferguson had. It is one hell of a job for any incoming manager.

Completely fair point. Ive often made the point re Fergie/Wenger that Fergie was a "manager" - he was sufficiently removed from the detail to see the bigger picture. Where as Wenger was always too hands on and so couldnt see the wood for the trees.

I think he will have been even more rooted in every little detail.

Taking that over will be painful for anyone.

And thats before you look at what needs to happen on the field/with the squad.

Would be great wouldnt it?! Would get in there, have them playing pretty football, get some results Im sure - but ultimately be gutless and unsuccessful. Almost too perfect.

I've long held that view that coping with Wenger's departure would be difficult, with a post-fergie-like hangover, but now I'm not so sure. Fergie left United as champions, with an aging squad. The replacement had to rebuild and the only way was down. Arsenal have already slipped, and with their "financial mite" (thank-you, The Guardian) they won't drop further. The new man (or woman) can rebuild and has a decent chance of immediate improvement.

As Milo says, I think the Fergie hangover could be much worse.

The truth is, when all is said and done, they are a massive prospect for any manager. Once the hang over has passed they are big, well funded, London club. Its a big opportunity to succeed. I just think it could easily be a few years before they shake Wengers influence off.

Back