• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread - Officially Second In A One Horse Race

There is a big difference in buying players who fit the system and seeing them fail compared to buying players apparently completely alien to how the team plays and then failing as a result.

So why is Wenger buying Vardy?

You don't think Wenger has signed players that have been poor fits for his system in the past?

Managers are not perfect at figuring out which players fit their system or not. It's part of why transfers sometimes (or often) fail. Wenger is no exception to this. Going by your logic every signing Wenger ever makes fits the system and criticizing them makes no sense.

There is a big difference in buying players who fit the system and seeing them fail compared to buying players apparently completely alien to how the team plays and then failing as a result.

So why is Wenger buying Vardy?

Desperation? Vardy will be like a fish out of water at Arsenal ( unless they change their whole set up play) and I do not think Wenger will do that.

You don't think Wenger has signed players that have been poor fits for his system in the past?

Managers are not perfect at figuring out which players fit their system or not. It's part of why transfers sometimes (or often) fail. Wenger is no exception to this. Going by your logic every signing Wenger ever makes fits the system and criticizing them makes no sense.

I don't remember Wenger signing a striker like Vardy whose recent success has been down playing in a side built to counter attack. Its so obvious how Vardy has been successful so I'm just asking what is behind Wengers thinking. Arse could take their pick from many more suitable strikers out there so why aren't they looking elsewhere.

As I've said my theory is that Arse are going to mix up how they play next season. One accusation thrown at them in the past is that they have been predictable but I think this started to change last season when they played some games on the counter and finished games with lower possession stats than the opposition. Signing Vardy will help them succeed even more with this approach

By the way I don't see Vardy being their one and only forward. there is a chance they will sign someone else but they still have Giroud, Sanchez, Iwobi and Welbeck on the books. Lots of variation there.

Desperation? Vardy will be like a fish out of water at Arsenal ( unless they change their whole set up play) and I do not think Wenger will do that.
I don't see why they would be desperate. Why not sign Batshuayi, or Lacazette, or Embolo, Morata, Higuain, Cavani etc it's not like players don't want to join them. They could go for better and more suitable strikers than Vardy

Terrible move for all concerned....

Vardy will not be number one man at Arsenal and will have to adapt or die, for my money I don't believe he has the adapt part in him.

Interesting that Vardy hasn't agreed to the move yet, apparently he was supposed to have given his answer before the England squad flew out to France this morning......maybe he thinks he will be better off staying at Leicester:)

Interesting that Vardy hasn't agreed to the move yet, apparently he was supposed to have given his answer before the England squad flew out to France this morning......maybe he thinks he will be better off staying at Leicester:)
I'd prefer him to move of course. He's a one trick pony and he won't improve them, but if he turned Arsenal down to stay at Leicester I'd have a little chuckle too.

vardy is a great signing for them, I see little downside, when I heard the news, it made me cringe. lets hope he gets injured in the Euros.

vardy is a great signing for them, I see little downside, when I heard the news, it made me cringe. lets hope he gets injured in the Euros.

Really? I'd be very happy if they signed him. Financially it's a horrific deal for Arsenal. Football wise, what makes you think he'll fit in there and perform at the same level? What similarities in playing style do you see between Leicester and arsenal?

Ex-Arsenal man Paul Merson seems to agree with many GGers:

"Speaking to TalkSPORT, the former England international said: 'I am absolutely flabbergasted with it. Arsenal don't get the ball forward quick enough for Jamie Vardy. No disrespect, but he plays at Leicester where everyone goes and has a go at them.

'Twenty of his goals must have been over the top, balls that he is running on to, beat the goalie and great finish. You play for Arsenal, you kick off and the other team sit 10 men behind the ball.'

Merson added: 'Leicester suits Jamie Vardy, in my opinion. He is perfect for them. They play his way, they get the ball forward very quickly and he will keep on causing havoc. If he goes to Arsenal, I just don't see it.

'That is no disrespect to him. I'm not saying he won't get goals, but I don't think he will get enough opportunities [at Arsenal]. They take too long to get the ball forward. 'I'm not having a go at Vardy. For what he does, he is different class, But you watch him for England the other night [against Portugal] and if you have got 10 players behind the ball... I mean [Ricardo] Carvalho looked like [Franz] Beckenbauer.'​

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3631321/Paul-Merson-flabbergasted-Arsenal-s-Leicester-striker-Jamie-Vardy-says-struggle-Emirates.html

Back