• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The glorious march to CL qualification

Pretty sure they changed that so now theres a floating spot for the CL winners.

When it stuffed us it was fine.

When it was going to stuff Liverpool they offered them a meaningless play off and then changed the rules.
They changed it so five teams from one country can be in CL. But if we came 4th and a team who finished outside top 4 say Arsenal and Man U win the Europa and CL we wouldnt go through to CL....

Pretty sure they changed that so now theres a floating spot for the CL winners.

When it stuffed us it was fine.

When it was going to stuff Liverpool they offered them a meaningless play off and then changed the rules.
There is still the cap of 5 qualifiers max from one country.... Europa League winner gets one, UCL winner gets another.... then it would be the top 3 qualifying only. So if Chelsea and Utd finish below Spurs, they qualify, and if we were 4th, and say Arsenal 3rd, they, Liverpool, and City would qualify! Nightmare scenario but worryingly sexy!

He' a trier, thats about it so far. Gooner mates of mine appreciate the effort but dont appreciate the performance!

Very poor decision making, clumsy and yet to really find his position.

Arsenal, Man U, Liverpool and Chelsea all have the historical precedent of regular CL appearances and paying a brick tonne in wages.

This is what protects them somewhat against being out of the CL. The anticipation is that its an anomoly and theyll be back in the following season, and either way theyll over pay you.

Neither of these things apply to Spurs.

Spurs getting into the CL is indeed a game changer, and sustained CL appearances (at least, until we can be seen as the same regulars as the above) is essential to building our squad and team at this point.

Being in doesnt protect you from bigger fish poaching your talent (well, a little, but not enough) but it does allow you to build a wide and deep squad and to attract the major talent that would otherwise go elsewhere (to a CL club).

Historically, maybe. But them being out is no longer an anomaly. It’s a top 6 going in to 4 spots. 2 of us will miss our every year.

I think we all need to adjust now to where we are as a club. We will pay proper wages and more often than not play in the CL (if we extrapolate the average amount of seasons we’ll expect to qualify). If we’re paying top wages, and have a season out of the CL, it isn’t going to be the reason we lose anyone.

United have West Ham at home as well, so same number of games as us. May as well give them the three points now.

They oddly often get up for the games with united, think they are still tinkled that man u stole ince then that ugly argie tavas was it? i have completely forgotten his name the striker.

progressing in the champs league this year and clogging up the fixture list will massively hinder our top 4 fight, great win last night, hopefully now we can build up the stadium to be a fortress and win the next 3 league games, Huddersfield, Brighton and Wet Spam llorente will be needed now, hope we actually play to his strengths

Historically, maybe. But them being out is no longer an anomaly. It’s a top 6 going in to 4 spots. 2 of us will miss our every year.

I think we all need to adjust now to where we are as a club. We will pay proper wages and more often than not play in the CL (if we extrapolate the average amount of seasons we’ll expect to qualify). If we’re paying top wages, and have a season out of the CL, it isn’t going to be the reason we lose anyone.

Its about perceptions. And right now, and for the next fear years, the balance is delicate.

We arent "the same" as Liverpool, Utd etc. We dont have 20 years of top table football (more or less) behind us.

We are still "plucky little Spurs". Its shifted a bit to where people take notice and show respect, but its not at the point where we are seen as perenial competitors. And that wont happen for a while.

In the meantime, Utd can drop out (would be 3 years of 4?) and its still anomolous. They are still a massive club, they still have kudos and pull.

We drop out? Well thats exactly what people expect and where we "should" be.

I dont really disagree with your post, it is a big 6 and for the next few seasons at least a couple of big clubs will miss out. But this is about more than the current "reality". Its about how we are seen, and how people look at us - and youd be mad to think we are viewed on a par with those clubs right now.

Look at Leicester. Premier League champions but a couple of years back. Are they a massive club? Did that win change how people see them? Or are they just a plucky mid table side who fluked a win?

We are viewed nearer to that than we are City/Utd/Liverpool at the moment IMO

progressing in the champs league this year and clogging up the fixture list will massively hinder our top 4 fight, great win last night, hopefully now we can build up the stadium to be a fortress and win the next 3 league games, Huddersfield, Brighton and Wet Spam llorente will be needed now, hope we actually play to his strengths

Can go either go for Llorente or son and Lucas who in my opinion work well together.

In other news Enter Janssen!

Its about perceptions. And right now, and for the next fear years, the balance is delicate.

We arent "the same" as Liverpool, Utd etc. We dont have 20 years of top table football (more or less) behind us.

We are still "plucky little Spurs". Its shifted a bit to where people take notice and show respect, but its not at the point where we are seen as perenial competitors. And that wont happen for a while.

In the meantime, Utd can drop out (would be 3 years of 4?) and its still anomolous. They are still a massive club, they still have kudos and pull.

We drop out? Well thats exactly what people expect and where we "should" be.

I dont really disagree with your post, it is a big 6 and for the next few seasons at least a couple of big clubs will miss out. But this is about more than the current "reality". Its about how we are seen, and how people look at us - and youd be mad to think we are viewed on a par with those clubs right now.

Look at Leicester. Premier League champions but a couple of years back. Are they a massive club? Did that win change how people see them? Or are they just a plucky mid table side who fluked a win?

We are viewed nearer to that than we are City/Utd/Liverpool at the moment IMO

Leceister weren’t paying top wages.

Emirates Marketing Project didn’t take long to change perceptions. They started signing top players and kept the ones they wanted to keep.

We are a team that has a decent chance of playing CL every year and paying top wages, with one of the best stadiums and training grounds in the world. The days of us ‘needing’ the CL, should be over. We will lose Eriksen or Toby whether we are in it or not, as we did with Walker.

Emirates Marketing Project didn’t take long to change perceptions. They started signing top players and kept the ones they wanted to keep.

We are a team that has a decent chance of playing CL every year and paying top wages, with one of the best stadiums and training grounds in the world. The days of us ‘needing’ the CL, should be over. We will lose Eriksen or Toby whether we are in it or not, as we did with Walker.

Same as Chelsea too
They came from no where by throwing money at the problem
We’re doing it in a different more sustainable way

Leicester were actually overpaying for the players they had. And are now suffering that with an ageing squad they cant move on.

And the point wasnt even wages. The point was that Leicester peaked at the very top table, and it changed nothing for them.

Emirates Marketing Project arent even a fair comparison, are they? If we have a billion to pump into the team we would also be seen as serious, but we dont, so its a red herring. BUT = I would say, they havent actually bought a top level WC player, have they? Werent in the races when Ronaldo, Neymar etc are on the move. They are overspending to get the talent in they have.

We are a team that has a decent chance of being in the CL. We have incredible facilities. Im not arguing with this.

We are also a new kid on the block, basically, and it takes time for the way we are viewed to shift from us being an interloper to a genuine resident. That is all. Its not going to happen in 3 consecutive years of CL qualification, it takes more. It needs to be sustained at this time for those perceptions to shift.

I think as long as we can pay the wages (which the new stadium will hopefully allow us to do) then that will underpin everything else. Means we can sign and retain players we otherwise wouldn't be able to, which means Poch has better players to work with than he otherwise would, which means we will compete at the top end...which leads to more money, prestige and all that stuff. A virtuous circle.

Keep revenues high, keep Levy and keep Poch. Then everything else will be fine.

Easy! :D

Leicester were actually overpaying for the players they had. And are now suffering that with an ageing squad they cant move on.

And the point wasnt even wages. The point was that Leicester peaked at the very top table, and it changed nothing for them.

Emirates Marketing Project arent even a fair comparison, are they? If we have a billion to pump into the team we would also be seen as serious, but we dont, so its a red herring. BUT = I would say, they havent actually bought a top level WC player, have they? Werent in the races when Ronaldo, Neymar etc are on the move. They are overspending to get the talent in they have.

We are a team that has a decent chance of being in the CL. We have incredible facilities. Im not arguing with this.

We are also a new kid on the block, basically, and it takes time for the way we are viewed to shift from us being an interloper to a genuine resident. That is all. Its not going to happen in 3 consecutive years of CL qualification, it takes more. It needs to be sustained at this time for those perceptions to shift.

I genuinely don’t know what you’re arguing. I don’t care about other clubs. Being in the CL is neither here nor there to keeping or losing players anymore. We lost Walker as a title challenger. If we pay proper wages, we will keep players if we have a season out. I don’t know how you could disagree with that.

We’ve been in the CL for the last 3 years. We now have the best stadium and best training ground arguably in the world. What more time exactly needs to pass before we’re viewed as a club players would choose to stay at because it’s actually the best place for them?

Leceister are just such a ridiculous comparison compared to us. We have been consistent over the last 4 years. They had one lifetime season. Of course perceptions didn’t change. They also didn’t pay wages comparable with a title challenging club.

Who is in Leicester aging said their trying to shift?

They have brought in a reasonable amount of young talent so I’m a little lost as to who you mean

I genuinely don’t know what you’re arguing. I don’t care about other clubs. Being in the CL is neither here nor there to keeping or losing players anymore. We lost Walker as a title challenger. If we pay proper wages, we will keep players if we have a season out. I don’t know how you could disagree with that.

We’ve been in the CL for the last 3 years. We now have the best stadium and best training ground arguably in the world. What more time exactly needs to pass before we’re viewed as a club players would choose to stay at because it’s actually the best place for them?

I am arguing that we need to be seen as a CL regular, one who belongs there, a "CL Club", before we can really rely on keeping (and as importantly, attracting) the highest calibre players.

As I said at the very beginning - Im not arguing with the factual element of your post - Im saying there is also the aspect (and as important) of how we are seen. Right now we arent established, and that is a key ingredient to have, it helps you ride out those times when you drop down etc.

Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool - they have that. We dont.

And despite all our development "Proper wages" is a rather elastic term, and not one we are really in the right place with. Arsenal, our closest financial comparison, are paying in excess of £300k a week for players. Utd, City = even more. Liverpool are throwing ridiculous sums at their wage bill. You honestly think we are competing there? Of course we arent, despite the stadium etc.

Which means we need to be seen as the full package to compensate. We need to be seen as that CL regular, as belonging, and also as having those wonderful facilities etc.

Leceister are just such a ridiculous comparison compared to us. We have been consistent over the last 4 years. They had one lifetime season. Of course perceptions didn’t change. They also didn’t pay wages comparable with a title challenging club.

Leicester had a hot spell, and it changed nothing. Thats where the comparison begins and ends.

As in, compared to the like of Utd/Liverpool/Arsenal etc being in the CL for decade after decade - we are in a hot spell and yet to really be established at that level/perception.

We are closer to Leicester in this respect than we are our competitors.

Who is in Leicester aging said their trying to shift?

They have bought in a reasonable amount of young talent so I’m a little lost as to who you mean

Not sure they are actively trying to shift anyone, but Vardy, Morgan, Okazaki, SImpson, Albrighton etc were all rewarded with rather large (and long) contracts - and now those players arent going to go anywhere despite Leicester clearly trying to refresh the squad.

Gray for example is simply not getting the games he should because they are there.

And Id suggest Puel was undone by the nature of this as well. He was trying to transition to a younger, more dynamic team - but was stuck with these older players and having to try and work around them.

Back