• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The General Transfer Rumours and Speculation Thread

So you mean that your opinion is right and mine is wrong? I agree with a number if your views but its not wonder you get so much flak on here with comments like that

I meant that the evidence shows that we don't struggle to break teams down.

It just feels like that to us because we have so much possession, so it seems like we aren't being efficient. But really our possession is sapping the opponents so we can pick them off later in matches.

Also I'd guess that with streaming now, most of us watch every 90 mins of all our games, but only highlights of others, so again the inaccurate perception that we aren't as efficient at breaking teams down as others.

Anybody think Bentaleb might get sold and replaced with a Dier-type beast defensive midfielder? He seems like a bit of an odd man out in the squad at the moment.

Anybody think Bentaleb might get sold and replaced with a Dier-type beast defensive midfielder? He seems like a bit of an odd man out in the squad at the moment.

I think he's just had a long injury lay out and is still getting up to speed. He was a huge player for Poch last season, so I doubt he's written him off.

If Bentaleb's not Dier's understudy next season, Dominic Ball might be. He's more like-for-like in terms of style.

Let's see how much he plays over the next 3 games. Outcasts like Fazio and Townsend very, very rarely played. I expect Bentaleb will get some game time. Whether he starts any is debatable given Mason is also now available

Let's see how much he plays over the next 3 games. Outcasts like Fazio and Townsend very, very rarely played. I expect Bentaleb will get some game time. Whether he starts any is debatable given Mason is also now available

I think he will start against Palace in the Cup. I'm just thinking of the balance of our squad of midfielders -- if Dier was out for a few games we have no other midfielder in that mould. If Dembele is out, we can play Alli there, or Mason. With the rise of Carroll this season giving further options, I'm just wondering if we'd be better off with another Dier-type in the squad...and Bentaleb would seem to be the one who might make way for such a player.

I think he will start against Palace in the Cup. I'm just thinking of the balance of our squad of midfielders -- if Dier was out for a few games we have no other midfielder in that mould. If Dembele is out, we can play Alli there, or Mason. With the rise of Carroll this season giving further options, I'm just wondering if we'd be better off with another Dier-type in the squad...and Bentaleb would seem to be the one who might make way for such a player.

I think Dier 'mould' is exaggerated. I think all 5 CMs do a very similar role whichever combination of them play.

I don't see anything that Carroll can do but which Bentaleb can't. NB has just missed so much of this season that he's really now waiting to get a full pre season and be properly involved next season

I think Dier 'mould' is exaggerated. I think all 5 CMs do a very similar role whichever combination of them play.

It's not exaggerated at all imo. None of our other midfielders have his defensive instincts, ability in the air, or ability to drop in and play as a centre half if we want a back 3 without the ball. The centre half part is the least important, but being a natural at defending should be a quality we look for in a player who covers Dier's position, imo. Especially if we also want Dier to cover centre-half in the squad. At the moment, we have a great squad of partners for Dier and nobody to directly replace him.

It's not exaggerated at all imo. None of our other midfielders have his defensive instincts, ability in the air, or ability to drop in and play as a centre half if we want a back 3 without the ball. The centre half part is the least important, but being a natural at defending should be a quality we look for in a player who covers Dier's position, imo. Especially if we also want Dier to cover centre-half in the squad. At the moment, we have a great squad of partners for Dier and nobody to directly replace him.

Bentaleb looked outstanding when he played in defence, so he's got that nouse. He's more in the Carrick mould of DMs whereas Dier is perhaps more a Sandro, but he's quite capable

Bentaleb looked outstanding when he played in defence, so he's got that nouse. He's more in the Carrick mould of DMs whereas Dier is perhaps more a Sandro, but he's quite capable

I actually think the two of them would be good paired together, assuming Bentaleb gets back to his best. I guess I would, ideally, just like us to have that 'warrior' option in the squad if Dier is unavailable.

Other than cover for Kane, if we don't sign anybody next window I'll be quite happy. I'm just suggesting options in an ideal world. I think it'll become even more important for us to have players with similar attributes to compete/cover for eachother when we are in The Champions League again ;)

The Bentaleb story wouldn't suprise me if true, I think the way he carried on upset a few of the fans too. He was integral to the side last year and should've been so this year, but since he has come back from injury he's hardly had a chance.

Not in the squad most of the time and playing with the U21's, a familair story.

And I still don't get all the hype about him. If someone gave us £25-30m for him, I'd take it.

The Bentaleb story wouldn't suprise me if true, I think the way he carried on upset a few of the fans too. He was integral to the side last year and should've been so this year, but since he has come back from injury he's hardly had a chance.

Not in the squad most of the time and playing with the U21's, a familair story.

He missed 3 months through injury - the whole first half of the season - so needs a few weeks to find some fitness and form.

Also remember that the U21s are actually his age group. Because he's been with the first team for 2 years, I think people forget how young he actually is (a year younger than Dier, 3 younger than Mason and Carroll, or 2 years younger than Carrick (the player I think it's useful to compare him with) when he came to us).

He's been ahead of the curve with regards to his age for a while though. This is the guy who completely bossed the midfield against many teams last season, for him to suffer such a turn of form that he now finds himself out of the first team squad doesn't sound likely to me, especially when the Bentaleb of last year would arguably be challenging Dembele and Dier or at the least first choice backup for the pair. As that article states, he's been fit since early December, so this lack of playing time does ring a few of the warning bells.

He'll get the odd cup game but I doubt he'll get back in PL line ups during the run-in.. the squad is just too settled I think.

It'll be interesting to see if he thinks fair enough, I'll get my head down, play my best when I get a chance and then look to start next season on top form or if he gets a bit frustrated. We also have no idea who Poch might what to bring in over the Summer, especially if we finish top 3 and have a greater chance of attracting some first choice targets.

My thoughts as well, neither Bentaleb or Mason looked good protecting our back four last season and it was the main reason we looked vunerable more often then not. I said earlier in the thread that I would not be surprised if one of them was moved on in the summer. Especially if Poch decides to bring players in.

Back