• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Game Is About Glory - Podcast Episode 1

LutonSpurs

Eric Dear
Hello dear GGers

After numerous trials we finally have delivered the first GG Podcast - aptly named The Game Is About Glory

We present @thfcsteff @LutonSpurs @milo @awesome dawson @ricky2tricky4city discussing: Wolves wash up and all about Mou

https://shows.acast.com/the-game-is-about-glory/episodes/episode-1

We wanted to initially launch it on here and we welcome gentle feedbck and ideas for future shows

We also welcome any of you to grow some and join us for a chat
Terrible OMT.

Is the bit rate really low on that casting platform? Because it sounds like it's really really low bit rate, and like you are all talking into metal box.

It's a recording of a Zoom chat, and some of us are using our computer microphones. We're learning the ropes and will sort out the teething problems.
I figured it might be that. But computer mic's wont do if you are to continue with this. It get really tiering to listen for more than a few minutes, at least for me. But it's easy to fix. A reasonable good usb mic makes a world of difference, even through zoom, skype, teams etc. You get ok quality ones for less than £50. If you dont want one on a boom arm, I can recommend the Blue Microphones Snowball.
There are a lot to choose from around the £50-60 range, complete with boom arm, pop filters etc. I'd highly recommend that those that will feature regularly, invest in a mic.

Other than that, thumbs up from me! :)

I’m kind of afraid to listen as I have always imagined that @milo sounds like a friendly bear when he speaks (profile pic based obviously) and I have a feeling that illusion is going to be shattered. As is the one that has me thinking that @awesome dawson sounds like Paul Hogan, and - when he eventually appears - that @scaramanga sounds like Melchett from Blackadder.

Anyhow, I’ll risk it.

Well done, very brave!
It's a good start and I know it is MUCH harder to do in practice than it seems from the outside.
And of course it will get better over coming weeks and months.

Assuming you want some critical comments to help things improve i.e. this is not pure criticism to undermine, it is in the spirit of trying to improve things, read on... IF not just ignore all this!

The audio wasn't perfect and microphones could be better BUT it wasn't bad for a first go; I've heard worse podcasts.

I'm confused why the pod isn't called Glory-Glory. It does say it in TINY font on the logo but on a smartphone it would be illegible. You mentioned "the forum" and Gutterboy on "the boards" but I reckon you should have introduced at the start that this is the partner podcast to the Glory-Glory Forum if any listeners want to go to glory-glory.co.uk and join the forum blah blah. Ah, you mentioned it after 74 minutes and the last 10 seconds! There should be more badgers on the logo and more custard/Tom Jones etc?

You mentioned visuals a lot at the start, probably your subconscious was saying "don't mention the video" so you mentioned it a few times e.g. look at their face well you can't see their face but looking at my screen well you can't see the screen, I can see smiles but you can't see smiles, well here's our man in the sun well you can't see the sun...

Make sure everyone can pronounce player names. I lose some faith in opinions when someone can't pronounce names e.g. Burj-ween Burg-ven [Berg-Vine] and Hoe-Berg Hold-Berg Hoe-Bee-Air [Hoy-Bee-Air] and Tan-Guy [Ton-ghee] and Eric Dear [Die-er] and One Matter [Juan Mata] and Le Chelso [Lo Selso].

You were laying into Spurs and particularly Mou Mou over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over for the best part of an hour! Saying we were coming to crisis and his head was on the block and that Levy had a big decision to make and what an old-fashioned boss he is and itching to get rid of him and how awful our football is BUT I suppose since Wolves we've smashed Leeds and Brentford, so feelings have changed a lot!
You say that winning the League Cup could be a disaster if Mou gets an extended contract and that the bare minimum is the Europa League and even that doesn't mean anything...and that beating either Manchester team is a gimme this year and just par... that is beyond harsh and got quite wearing as the slagging of Mou came around to the 90th minute! Everyone started joining in and moaning about him like we're getting relegated, cheer up lads! Too much. Very negative takes, saying Kane will be off, very negative, straw man arguments.

Roger battled well against the tide to keep balance!

In terms of duration it felt too long, I think you should try to keep it shorter and leave people wanting more... felt like every point of every game and every player was discussed, rather than e.g. state there are 4 focussed topics rather than one long discussion of "stuff".

It was quite hard at first to keep track of so many voices without the visual; usually it would be 3 or 4 so you can remember who has which opinion i.e. "the guy with that accent thinks XYZ and the guy who sounds like AAA thinks BBB" but I was a bit lost at times. Maybe introduce people so it is easier to know which voice is which.

Omar started off on fire and then disappeared at half way, did he fall off the call?

Remember this is all said in the spirit of trying to help; I would not do it so well myself and you are already good, so please understand that.

PS. Maybe some/each of you should have some stats to hand e.g. a list of the games, results and scorers from this year and the upcoming fixtures and dates [and maybe results and league positions from the last few years] so it is easier to remember what happened and what games are coming up. Can just be websites, doesn't need to be anything onerous.

And then also help the listener to remember e.g. if you are going to mention some game in September or May, help us by describing what happened, we can't all remember every shimmy of every game.

I’m kind of afraid to listen as I have always imagined that @milo sounds like a friendly bear when he speaks (profile pic based obviously) and I have a feeling that illusion is going to be shattered. As is the one that has me thinking that @awesome dawson sounds like Paul Hogan, and - when he eventually appears - that @scaramanga sounds like Melchett from Blackadder.

Anyhow, I’ll risk it.

I'm prepared to do future episodes in a friendly bear voice, if you are disappointed with my normal voice

We need you on to talk Mou

Not sure I'm needed having now listened :D

Good work guys - believe it or not that's the first Spurs podcast I've listened to in it's entirety.

Presumably this is the place for discussions on what we thought?

I felt it maybe needed a bit more carving up in to clear talking points? The post Wolves match discussion that we started off with kind of blurred in to general Mourinho grievances then in to Dele chat and then back to the game again, before on to other points - but all kind of coming back to the manager and without ever really closing off the match discussion - obviously post Wolves the overriding talk across social media was about the manager so can see why it dominated the chat the way it did but maybe in future try to seperate the talking points so theres more focus on a singulsr topic at any one time, making it easier to follow discussion.

Regardless of the above those you involved spoke well and got your points across well.

Well done, very brave!
It's a good start and I know it is MUCH harder to do in practice than it seems from the outside.
And of course it will get better over coming weeks and months.

Assuming you want some critical comments to help things improve i.e. this is not pure criticism to undermine, it is in the spirit of trying to improve things, read on... IF not just ignore all this!

The audio wasn't perfect and microphones could be better BUT it wasn't bad for a first go; I've heard worse podcasts.

I'm confused why the pod isn't called Glory-Glory. It does say it in TINY font on the logo but on a smartphone it would be illegible. You mentioned "the forum" and Gutterboy on "the boards" but I reckon you should have introduced at the start that this is the partner podcast to the Glory-Glory Forum if any listeners want to go to glory-glory.co.uk and join the forum blah blah. Ah, you mentioned it after 74 minutes and the last 10 seconds! There should be more badgers on the logo and more custard/Tom Jones etc?

You mentioned visuals a lot at the start, probably your subconscious was saying "don't mention the video" so you mentioned it a few times e.g. look at their face well you can't see their face but looking at my screen well you can't see the screen, I can see smiles but you can't see smiles, well here's our man in the sun well you can't see the sun...

Make sure everyone can pronounce player names. I lose some faith in opinions when someone can't pronounce names e.g. Burj-ween Burg-ven [Berg-Vine] and Hoe-Berg Hold-Berg Hoe-Bee-Air [Hoy-Bee-Air] and Tan-Guy [Ton-ghee] and Eric Dear [Die-er] and One Matter [Juan Mata] and Le Chelso [Lo Selso].

You were laying into Spurs and particularly Mou Mou over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over for the best part of an hour! Saying we were coming to crisis and his head was on the block and that Levy had a big decision to make and what an old-fashioned boss he is and itching to get rid of him and how awful our football is BUT I suppose since Wolves we've smashed Leeds and Brentford, so feelings have changed a lot!
You say that winning the League Cup could be a disaster if Mou gets an extended contract and that the bare minimum is the Europa League and even that doesn't mean anything...and that beating either Manchester team is a gimme this year and just par... that is beyond harsh and got quite wearing as the slagging of Mou came around to the 90th minute! Everyone started joining in and moaning about him like we're getting relegated, cheer up lads! Too much. Very negative takes, saying Kane will be off, very negative, straw man arguments.

Roger battled well against the tide to keep balance!

In terms of duration it felt too long, I think you should try to keep it shorter and leave people wanting more... felt like every point of every game and every player was discussed, rather than e.g. state there are 4 focussed topics rather than one long discussion of "stuff".

It was quite hard at first to keep track of so many voices without the visual; usually it would be 3 or 4 so you can remember who has which opinion i.e. "the guy with that accent thinks XYZ and the guy who sounds like AAA thinks BBB" but I was a bit lost at times. Maybe introduce people so it is easier to know which voice is which.

Omar started off on fire and then disappeared at half way, did he fall off the call?

Remember this is all said in the spirit of trying to help; I would not do it so well myself and you are already good, so please understand that.

PS. Maybe some/each of you should have some stats to hand e.g. a list of the games, results and scorers from this year and the upcoming fixtures and dates [and maybe results and league positions from the last few years] so it is easier to remember what happened and what games are coming up. Can just be websites, doesn't need to be anything onerous.

And then also help the listener to remember e.g. if you are going to mention some game in September or May, help us by describing what happened, we can't all remember every shimmy of every game.

Cheers. That's helpful and I think you mention a lot of that are things that we'd picked up on and discussed.

The time thing is a bit tricky, it's some mates discussing the game and we probably need to be a little more disciplined.

Aamar did disappear halfway through. We edited out his goodbye, maybe we should have left it in.

On stats. We are going to come armed next time and do battle with @thfcsteff over them ;)

Not sure I'm needed having now listened :D

Good work guys - believe it or not that's the first Spurs podcast I've listened to in it's entirety.

Presumably this is the place for discussions on what we thought?

I felt it maybe needed a bit more carving up in to clear talking points? The post Wolves match discussion that we started off with kind of blurred in to general Mourinho grievances then in to Dele chat and then back to the game again, before on to other points - but all kind of coming back to the manager and without ever really closing off the match discussion - obviously post Wolves the overriding talk across social media was about the manager so can see why it dominated the chat the way it did but maybe in future try to seperate the talking points so theres more focus on a singulsr topic at any one time, making it easier to follow discussion.

Regardless of the above those you involved spoke well and got your points across well.

Cheers.

I think that the discussion was coloured heavily by the disappointment of the Wolves game. It would probably be a very different chat if we did it this week. It's brought it home on us how they have a limited shelf life.

Completely agree on the structure. We're still getting to know each other and what works. It'll come.

confused why the pod isn't called Glory-Glory. It does say it in TINY font on the logo but on a smartphone it would be illegible. You mentioned "the forum" and Gutterboy on "the boards" but I reckon you should have introduced at the start that this is the partner podcast to the Glory-Glory Forum if any listeners want to go to glory-glory.co.uk and join the forum blah blah. Ah, you mentioned it after 74 minutes and the last 10 seconds! There should be more badgers on the logo and more custard/Tom Jones etc?

Should be called :

The Game is about Glory-Glory

Last edited:
Cheers.

I think that the discussion was coloured heavily by the disappointment of the Wolves game. It would probably be a very different chat if we did it this week. It's brought it home on us how they have a limited shelf life.

Completely agree on the structure. We're still getting to know each other and what works. It'll come.

Totally get that and with it being the first episode there's a whole load of talking points stretching back further that people wanted to touch on too.

One other thing i felt that did come across was that it seemed on most points everyone was more or less in agreement - Mourinho bad, Dele Good, Wolves result bad, Ndombele good etc - going forwards you'd need to try and find a way to have a couple of you playing Devils Advocate just to avoid the risk of it sounding like an echo chamber.

Are you working on the next episode?

Well done lads. An excellent first attempt.

As has been said a bit more structure might be a good idea - match discussion , single player focus, upcoming match discussion, feature topic maybe tied into the forum in some way, whatever. Chop it up a bit.

Keep it going. Liked it.

Last edited:
Back