• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Game Is About Glory - Plumbers and Draughtsmen

milo

Jack L. Jones
Season 2 Episode 17

It’s our 50th episode!

What do Jayne Mansfield, Harry Winks, Dudley Moore, Nuno and Steve Bruce all have in common? Tune in to this week’s The Game Is About Glory to find out. Plus @milo, @AuroRaman and @thfcsteff look back at the games against West Ham and Vitesse, plus the week that was, which all become one continual flow of congruent conversation, debate and analysis. Go on; you know you must…

Apple Podcasts

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-game-is-about-glory/id1549996381

Spotify

https://open.spotify.com/show/2TL6nSBfDK0Dn7laU2Vcqp?si=zwUheITvQnSIyqyzKR0CE

Google Podcasts

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...2ahUKEwizwpz19K3vAhWD0YUKHf7ZBcgQ9sEGegQIARAC

RSS Feed

https://feeds.acast.com/public/shows/5ff4636ed6e3f1135f46f0cb

I told Milo not to give anyone else tips…if this happens, I will hold him responsible!

Well normally you guys are good for a balanced and reasonable reaction in the aftermath of our defeats and we got that this week up to the “give me one thing you’d change” question. Have to say I wasn’t expecting “the manager” would be the response!

Good one lads.
@milo re Gallardo, unfortunately it looks like Barcelona will be looking for a new manager soon and he’s on their list apparently.

That is why I said that this might be our only chance on Gallardo and we'd need to move early.

They can't afford to sack Koeman currently. I think that Xavi will be Barca's next manager.

Well normally you guys are good for a balanced and reasonable reaction in the aftermath of our defeats and we got that this week up to the “give me one thing you’d change” question. Have to say I wasn’t expecting “the manager” would be the response!

It was only the manager if someone who fits our long-term plans becomes available. Definitely not Nuno out under any circumstances.

They also want to rebuild the ground, buy some new players and clear their debt

I dunno what’s going on there. There used to be a Barca insider (or claimed to be) who frequented this board in times gone by. Wonder what became of him!

I dunno what’s going on there. There used to be a Barca insider (or claimed to be) who frequented this board in times gone by. Wonder what became of him!
Barca Spurs?
He is on Twitter
They are broken as a club from top to bottom

They made losses of £409m last financial year! COVID has fudged them

Great pod guys. I remember Pete and Dud well too. I certainly wouldn't have gone to sea on one of Winston's bogies!

I think that with the players we currently have we need to change formation to get the best out of their individual strengths - and get some width in the side. I gather Romero played the advance central defender in a three at his last club. If he played there, we could do with only one of Skipp or PEH and play NDombele in a deeper role but without any defensive duties . This would free up the full backs to provide the width and offer us the options of Lucas, Gil or LoCelso for the number10/right hand attacker role behind Kane and Son.

...............................Lloris...................................

...............Tanganga/ Sanchez/Rodon......Dier...........................

Royal..........................Romero........................Reggie

...................Skip/PEH...............NDombele

............LoCelso/Lucas/Gil.........................Son

.................................Kane.....................

Thoughts?

Glad that you liked it @Pirate55

I can see a case for 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 but I am not sure that it is a solution for our current problems. I think that we have already changed formation too much this season and I would favour a period of us sticking with 4-2-3-1.

I think that Steff was right on the latest episode where he talks about playing Ndombele alongside Skipp against the teams who are at our level or below. That would allow us to put Lo Celso in at #10. That should improve us getting the ball forward quickly and breaking down teams that sit deep.

I think it’s a really pertinent conversation about online abuse vs legit, constructive criticism. It got me thinking about whether I’ve been too hard on Winks over the last year - I don’t think I’ve been massively personal on here, but I would hold my hands up if he or others were to think differently.

I think I’m being harder on him given the rumours about disruptive leaks emanating from his camp. If true, they are unhelpful at best, willfully destructive at worst. However, we don’t really know how true this is so he should be held accountable for his performances alone and perhaps his words ie let’s stick to the ‘facts’, although you could say performances can hardly be classed as such. I think you know what I mean…

One thing I’d probably not considered would be how much he would be hurting at realising he probably has to leave now, given he’s come up through the ranks. He must have been going through something akin to the five stages of grief over it.

Anyway, I’m a feelings guy, so I felt I should say well done for bringing the conversation to the fore - the world needs more empathy.

Glad that you liked it @Pirate55

I can see a case for 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 but I am not sure that it is a solution for our current problems. I think that we have already changed formation too much this season and I would favour a period of us sticking with 4-2-3-1.

I think that Steff was right on the latest episode where he talks about playing Ndombele alongside Skipp against the teams who are at our level or below. That would allow us to put Lo Celso in at #10. That should improve us getting the ball forward quickly and breaking down teams that sit deep.
One other point I meant to make on that - didn’t we try that against Arsenal - ie one of Hodge or Skipp - and get fudged up the arse? Or do you view the problem on that day as 4-3-3 / Dele related?

One other point I meant to make on that - didn’t we try that against Arsenal - ie one of Hodge or Skipp - and get fudged up the arse? Or do you view the problem on that day as 4-3-3 / Dele related?

I think that the problem in the Arsenal game was the positioning of the players/Nuno's tactics rather than the formation or personnel. It was Dele, Ndombele and Hojbjerg in midfield but Dele and Ndombele were pushed forward to collect second balls off long balls forward. It left us completely exposed on the counter.

I think that the problem in the Arsenal game was the positioning of the players/Nuno's tactics rather than the formation or personnel. It was Dele, Ndombele and Hojbjerg in midfield but Dele and Ndombele were pushed forward to collect second balls off long balls forward. It left us completely exposed on the counter.
And Hojbjerg pushing up to their box, leaving zero cover.

We8Campbell :D
Jesus Christ, I had forgotten about that joker.

PS. Good pod
PPS. Above Milo said Barca lost £400m and I heard on the Athletic podcast that Roma lost £200m... it is hard for Spurs to compete on this extremely unlevel playing field.
PPPS. Milo said on the GG podcast that he and Steff repeatedly refer to Pete and Dud, perhaps that is why so many of the #jokes sail past my ears with a faint whiff of "wut?"

Back