• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Game Is About Glory - Just A (90) Minute

milo

Jack L. Jones
Season 2 Episode 28

In this first pod of 2022, @thfcsteff, @AuroRaman, @ricky2tricky4city and @milo look to vary things up as they review the various matches which took place over the festive season, drawing the line at repetition and allowing no prevarication when looking back at Watford, Southampton, Crystal Palace and West Ham. Milo was vary happy to play Stockley Park, his accuracy proving variable, albeit he was dealing with minute details…just tune in. It will make sense.

Apple Podcasts

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-game-is-about-glory/id1549996381

Spotify

https://open.spotify.com/show/2TL6nSBfDK0Dn7laU2Vcqp?si=zwUheITvQnSIyqyzKR0CE

Google Podcasts

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...2ahUKEwizwpz19K3vAhWD0YUKHf7ZBcgQ9sEGegQIARAC

RSS Feed

https://feeds.acast.com/public/shows/5ff4636ed6e3f1135f46f0cb

Another really strong episode guys.

@milo - @AuroRaman was right, you really should be hired by BT (who as you rightly say should hang their heads in shame with the coverage on Sunday), Sky etc to explain the rules. Fantastic job there. You all put the ‘commentariat’ to shame with your considered analysis of the Soton VAR calls.

Also @ricky2tricky4city you stole my line about feet being where offside should be judged from, although my father-in-law did point out what happens with diving headers. Hmmm… Thoughts?

And nice job on Just A Minute. Good to see you pushing boundaries and trying new things, rather than resting on your laurels, even if poor @thfcsteff suffered for his internet!

Here’s a happy and healthy - and successful one for the Lilywhites - 2022 to you all.

Cheers @DaveT316 - I'm happy to share links to some of the stuff that I was reading and watching on VAR if you or anyone else is interested. I fell down a bit of a VAR geek hole last week.

Another really strong episode guys.

@milo - @AuroRaman was right, you really should be hired by BT (who as you rightly say should hang their heads in shame with the coverage on Sunday), Sky etc to explain the rules. Fantastic job there. You all put the ‘commentariat’ to shame with your considered analysis of the Soton VAR calls.

Also @ricky2tricky4city you stole my line about feet being where offside should be judged from, although my father-in-law did point out what happens with diving headers. Hmmm… Thoughts?

And nice job on Just A Minute. Good to see you pushing boundaries and trying new things, rather than resting on your laurels, even if poor @thfcsteff suffered for his internet!

Here’s a happy and healthy - and successful one for the Lilywhites - 2022 to you all.

Thanks very much Dave, and I am sure I speak for all of us when I say that your comments and thoughts have been royally appreciated by us all...yes, the lag might've been a factor, but I fear it was more my going for the raspberry challenge plus flouncing about in front of the Chair which cooked any goose I had. We had a great laugh there.

Cheers @DaveT316 - I'm happy to share links to some of the stuff that I was reading and watching on VAR if you or anyone else is interested. I fell down a bit of a VAR geek hole last week.

I think it is a wonderful element of both the show and dynamic that you investigate those areas so thoroughly.
Long may our debates continue :D

Another good one to start 2022. Well done all. Look forward to the I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue edition, with @thfcsteff killing it on One Song to the Tune of Another.

With the VAR thing @milo, if there are better images that - as in the case of Harry's offside - show it more clearly, why are they not broadcastable?

Another good one to start 2022. Well done all. Look forward to the I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue edition, with @thfcsteff killing it on One Song to the Tune of Another.

With the VAR thing @milo, if there are better images that - as in the case of Harry's offside - show it more clearly, why are they not broadcastable?

That, my friend, is a wonderful idea!!!!!!!!! The show, not the singing bit hahahaha...thanks for your kind words too.

The broadcasters just get the one image. Before this season, we saw the whole process but that was changed to bring it in line with how it was being used in Europe. I think that was a mistake.

Stockley Park has higher than broadcast images, which you'd expect. I think that the real issue is the quality of images that do the rounds on social media, which are often very poor quality, and people make judgements based on them.

I'd like to see more transparency in the whole process. Better quality images shared and conversations between the officials broadcast. But we also need better quality pundits who know the rules and how they are applied, the broadcasters are letting us down at the moment.

@milo I was busy doing other things whilst listening, but you said something about a 3D Hawkeye system that would map everything on the field and be able to zoom in at any angle to any position to check the offsides e.g. zoom in to 3 feet away from Kane's sleeve etc at huge accuracy (like goaline decisions) or did I make that up??? If so, that would clear things up quick quick.

A simpler idea...we could use the existing chip in the training bras that all players wear (the fitness app tracker) and use that as the sole point of reference for offside i.e. wherever your heart is, that is what plays you on or off (rather than trying to compare a boot to a head)

@milo I was busy doing other things whilst listening, but you said something about a 3D Hawkeye system that would map everything on the field and be able to zoom in at any angle to any position to check the offsides e.g. zoom in to 3 feet away from Kane's sleeve etc at huge accuracy (like goaline decisions) or did I make that up??? If so, that would clear things up quick quick.

A simpler idea...we could use the existing chip in the training bras that all players wear (the fitness app tracker) and use that as the sole point of reference for offside i.e. wherever your heart is, that is what plays you on or off (rather than trying to compare a boot to a head)

That's already in place @Bullet. The VAR system in the PL currently uses Harkeye. All of the VAR cameras, the goal line cameras and broadcast cameras are synchronised and linked. The VAR and goal line cameras are calibrated to account for the camber of the pitch and other variables between grounds. The lines are applied using the camera with the best view of the players. 3D modelling using data from all of the cameras, is then used to calculate whether it is offside. The modeling is used because it is difficult to judge distance visually when limbs are off the ground and the pitch is not flat.

An automated version using more cameras and real time 3D modelling of the players is being introduced at the WC and is due to be in the PL from 2023/24 season onwards. This should speed up decisions.

That's already in place @Bullet. The VAR system in the PL currently uses Harkeye. All of the VAR cameras, the goal line cameras and broadcast cameras are synchronised and linked. The VAR and goal line cameras are calibrated to account for the camber of the pitch and other variables between grounds. The lines are applied using the camera with the best view of the players. 3D modelling using data from all of the cameras, is then used to calculate whether it is offside. The modeling is used because it is difficult to judge distance visually when limbs are off the ground and the pitch is not flat.

An automated version using more cameras and real time 3D modelling of the players is being introduced at the WC and is due to be in the PL from 2023/24 season onwards. This should speed up decisions.

For offsides would an overhead camera not be the best option?
Looking straight down on top it is surely the optimum angle?
Often wondered why they don't have that at track races, seems obvious.

For offsides would an overhead camera not be the best option?
Looking straight down on top it is surely the optimum angle?
Often wondered why they don't have that at track races, seems obvious.

For the current system, you need an angle that shows you the point of the body furthest forward that can be scored from. An overhead camera would probably only work for that if it was immediately overhead or ahead of play. Where there is one for broadcast, it would be used.

The new VAR Hawkeye cameras for the semi-automated decisions are due to be fitted to the stadium roof.

For the current system, you need an angle that shows you the point of the body furthest forward that can be scored from. An overhead camera would probably only work for that if it was immediately overhead or ahead of play. Where there is one for broadcast, it would be used.

The new VAR Hawkeye cameras for the semi-automated decisions are due to be fitted to the stadium roof.

A lot of stadiums have these wire cam things, any idea how good they are at keeping up with play?

A lot of stadiums have these wire cam things, any idea how good they are at keeping up with play?

I don't I am affraid. It would be down to the camera operator, who works for the broadcaster. If it was the best angle, I believe that it could be used for VAR.

I don't I am affraid. It would be down to the camera operator, who works for the broadcaster. If it was the best angle, I believe that it could be used for VAR.

I know nothing about camera technology, and only slightly more about VAR and how it works, so at least I've learned something today.

Thanks Milo.
Glasgow; offsides are only concerned with 1 dimension, up and down the pitch.
With several cameras along the roof of one stand you can look across the pitch and determine the distances up and down the pitch, Even when comparing an attacker very near 'this touchline' versus a defender far away from 'this touchline'.

Whereas an overhead camera is looking straight downwards, not across the line.

Thanks Milo.
Glasgow; offsides are only concerned with 1 dimension, up and down the pitch.
With several cameras along the roof of one stand you can look across the pitch and determine the distances up and down the pitch, Even when comparing an attacker very near 'this touchline' versus a defender far away from 'this touchline'.

Whereas an overhead camera is looking straight downwards, not across the line.

Surely if you have a camera above, which is an unimpeded view, looking down along the line of the last defender its very easy to see if an attacker is beyond that?
The line is a line drawn across the pitch from the part of the last defender closest to tge goal line. It would be very easy to tell straight away if that line was broken when viewed from above, wouldn't it?

Surely if you have a camera above, which is an unimpeded view, looking down along the line of the last defender its very easy to see if an attacker is beyond that?
The line is a line drawn across the pitch from the part of the last defender closest to tge goal line. It would be very easy to tell straight away if that line was broken when viewed from above, wouldn't it?
If it was hundreds of yards in the air with a wide angle lens, and able to keep up with play, and software to counteract the fisheye lens, and high enough quality, then perhaps, but it wouldn't be up with play at both ends and in many ways would be less practical than a series of fixed cameras to one side.

Back