• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Football Literature thread

bjholmem

Radek Cerny
I couldn't find a thread where we can recommend football books, so here it is. I have a few to mention.

First, I have to recommend "Soccernomics" by Simon Kuper and Stefan Szymanski. The authors consider the world of football from an economic standpoint, and their rational analyses of football has had a calming effect on me. A: because Tottenham Hotspur are ticking off most of the boxes in the list comprising how to have a successful transfer policy for a club of our stature, and B: because it has instilled the belief in me that there is hardly ever reason to panic if we lose a game or two. Also there are a number of other believed "truths" in football that the book dismantles, such as why there is no economic upside to hosting a World Cup, and you will also learn why England usually lose at the quarter final stage of the tournaments they participate in (the book was even called "Why England Lose" initially, but apparently nobody wanted to buy that, so they changed it for the second and subsequent editions).

Secondly, anyone who is remotely interested in football should read "Garrincha: The Triumph and Tragedy of Brazil's Forgotten Footballing Hero" by Ruy Castro. It is probably the best football biography ever written, let alone one of the best books I have read altogether. The tale of the magic winger who wins everything, including two world cups with Brazil, then to have post career life roosterup-syndrome of the worst kind is absolutely amazing. It is both one of the funniest and one of the most tragic books I have read. Add the odd goat shanding, mother-in-law-decapitation, death threats and some epic partying to the mix for good measure, and you sort of get the drift of this book. Only you really don't, so you have to read it. The best $30 i have semi-accidentally spent on my kindle (thank you Amazon for one click shopping).

And of course you have to read "Brave New World" by Guillem Balagué. You. Have. To. Read. It.

Any other recommendations?

Touching Distance by Martin Hardy
Tunnel of Love by Martin Hardy
Rafa's Way: The Resurrection of Saudi Sportswashing Machine by Martin Hardy
Inside the Rafalution by Mark Douglas

Got to be this.......

9781840182422.jpg

I'm currently reading "The Mixer: The Story of Premier League Tactics, from Route One to False Nines" by Michael Cox. Very interesting on how football in the Premier League has evolved tactically since it started.

Very little on Spurs so far, but given how little we contributed in the first 15-20 years, that's really no surprise in all honesty. Still a good read, though.

Massively violent and decidly average - Lee Howey.

Very honest account of an average pro career just before football jumped the shark.

I'm currently reading "The Mixer: The Story of Premier League Tactics, from Route One to False Nines" by Michael Cox. Very interesting on how football in the Premier League has evolved tactically since it started.

Very little on Spurs so far, but given how little we contributed in the first 15-20 years, that's really no surprise in all honesty. Still a good read, though.
I thought pleats 4-5-1 was quite ground breaking at the time, hoddle was an early exponent of 352 and Ossie was just ahead of his time...

Back