1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

The Fight to Finish As High in the League as Possible 2020/21

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by 90291Spur, 14 Aug 2020.

1. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Chris Perry

The MAXIMUM number of points that I see us getting is 10.

If offering a points spread it would be 7 to 8.

2. paxtonwolf

paxtonwolf Teddy Sheringham

Looking at this comp another way though. Although a very very long road. You could feasibly get into the Champions League from it. I believe the winners go into the Europa League the following season, so I would assume if you then win the EL, the season after that you would be in the CL.
    As I say, a long long road, but it could be done. Not likely, but a remote possibility

Going to further extremes, (I mean it would never happen) but, say Brentford had got past us and City to win the CC. Then next season, they play in the Europa Conference and somehow win it, but get relegated in the Championship.
    22/23 season it happens again, they win the Europa League (yes..I know), and get relegated again. Brentford in the CL while playing in the Champions League.

The stupid scenarios are endless..especially if a team from League Two won the League Cup...

Yes, I know, too much time on my hands...and possibly way too much alchohol

Legohamster likes this.
  3. Baleforce

Baleforce Jack L. Jones

were Leicester not in that potential situation a couple of seasons ago, flirting with relegation whilst still in the EL?

4. jaysea67

jaysea67 Terry Yorath

In 2013 Newcastle reached the quarter-finals of the EL but only finished 16th in the league. The same season Wigan won the FA Cup, qualifying them for the following season's EL, but also got relegated from the PL.

Baleforce likes this.
  5. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Ralph Coates

Millwall played in Europe too whilst in the championship

Robbo, jaysea67 and Baleforce like this.
  6. spursfan1976

spursfan1976 Hossam Ghaly

On the stream I watched for the Southampton game, I'm 99% sure they said that if Chelsea & Arsenal win the CL & EL, and finish outside the top 4, then the knock on effect is no English club in the new Conference league. If I heard right (I had had a few!) then should we finish 7th (the ecl qualification place unless Leicester win the fa cup and finish out of top 4) do we accept entry into it, or should they get to the respective finals, do we do the unthinkable and root for them to win, so we don't end up in the new conference league?

7. billyiddo

billyiddo Terry Dyson Staff Member

Id need a much better reason to root for either them than that!

DTA and glorygloryeze like this.
  8. harr1984

harr1984 Frederic Kanoute

Under no scenario will I be rooting for Arsenal to win the EL and get a Champions League place, just so we don’t have to play in a tournament.....

9. billyiddo

The EC doesn't actually bother me - send out the kids/backups till the latter rounds and if we get that far then take it seriously. No different to the EL

harr1984 likes this.
  10. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Chris Perry

Problem is that this season we kept on having to play the big boys early on in the EL.... Theoretically the even lower quality of the minnows competition should allow us not to do that.

If we do end up in that competition (touch and go at the moment as I don't see us overtaking any of those ahead of us and Everton are only 1 point behind us with a game in hand) then it is probably important that we do well in it to help with our UEFA coefficient points.

11. AdamB

AdamB Barry Daines

The bigger flaw this season with our EL performances was simpyl that we had no system or engrained way of playing. If you have that, then players can slot in and out without losing quite as much

I'm hopeful that under a new manager when we have a system, our back-ups might fare better

glorygloryeze likes this.
  12. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Rafael Van Der Vaart

Absolutely this; it's so key for so many reasons to have a way (or ways) of playing so players know how their jobs and can slot in and out

13. Raziel

Raziel Chris Perry

The biggest problem is it isn't enough games and has additional HG complexity brick.

The B team concept is good, the problem is it's much better for Spurs to loan out Skipp & Sessegnon (best academy prospects) for 30+ games of play times, vs. keeping them to play 6-8 cups games.

I don't think you can ever replace a Kane/Eriksen type player regardless of how good the coaching, where I feel we have fudged up always is in the making working pairs/groups, e.g. instead of swapping Kane for Vini, we should have had a Vini +Dele (as example) swap in for Kane/Son or Kane/Lucas (where Lucas was playing the #10 role), same with FB/Wide AM roles, same with CB pairings ..

Danishfurniturelover likes this.
  14. Jordinho

Jordinho Bill Brown Staff Member

Next week will be crucial. Would be lovely to get the three points in early and spend the weekend contemplating the potential outcomes of the other matches.

Friday
    Leicester - Newcastle

Saturday
    Leeds - Tottenham
    Emirates Marketing Project - Chelsea
    Liverpool - Southampton

Sunday
    West Ham - Everton
    Arsenal - West Brom

MKSpur, Robbo and AdamB like this.
  15. billyiddo

Leeds away will be tough although they played in to our hands last time, so more of the same there please - need to win all our remaining games whatever happens elsewhere

Winner takes all at Leicester last game of the season? :eek:

Robbo likes this.
  16. Robbo

Robbo Pedro Mendes

We need to win all four if we want a shot at CL, TBH.

Would be lovely if Leicester stumble against Newcastle and we follow up with a three or four goal win at Leeds. Then we would be talking.

AdamB likes this.
  17. AdamB

AdamB Barry Daines

Yes, though nice thing about our next two, and possibly Villa too, is that they dont have anything to play for. Not sure that Bale is well suited to chasing them around for 90 mins, but hope we play the same team and try to impose ourselves on them

West Ham and Liverpool both have very friendly run-ins unfortunately. Could do with Burnley stepping up tmrw night

MKSpur likes this.
  18. DubSpur

DubSpur Ramon Vega

I think Bale is perfect for Leeds. They leave loads of space in behind for Bale and Son to run in to. He doesn't have to last the full 90 mins. 60-75 mins and he should've done the damage by that stage.

Hotshot-Tottenham and MKSpur like this.
  19. parklane1

parklane1 Tommy Harmer

I would take that after the way our season has gone with all the doom and gloom.

Robbo and DTA like this.
  20. Gazza Dazzla

Gazza Dazzla Michael Carrick

some people thrive on doom and gloom on this site!