• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Fight to Qualify for the European Conference League 2020/21

If the two Manchester teams win their game in hand, there are 3 points separating the top 6. Too early to get carried away.
Indeed, we are only just over a quarter of the way through the games. We are not as good as Liverpool, and come the end of the season I’d expect Emirates Marketing Project to have overtaken us too. Liverpool have been without their best defender and have coped very well, Emirates Marketing Project without their best striker - so far we have been fortunate, if Kane/Son got injured for a period of time it wouldn’t be so easy to maintain this level.

The main target was always to get back into the top 4, which we look like being good for. Plus obviously a trophy which I’d expect us to be challenging for - a serious title challenge would be a pleasant surprise, but I’m not going to be upset if we tail off a little as I think we are still a couple of players short of being genuine contenders - however we do have the Mourinho factor, so who knows....

Indeed, we are only just over a quarter of the way through the games. We are not as good as Liverpool, and come the end of the season I’d expect Emirates Marketing Project to have overtaken us too. Liverpool have been without their best defender and have coped very well, Emirates Marketing Project without their best striker - so far we have been fortunate, if Kane/Son got injured for a period of time it wouldn’t be so easy to maintain this level.

The main target was always to get back into the top 4, which we look like being good for. Plus obviously a trophy which I’d expect us to be challenging for - a serious title challenge would be a pleasant surprise, but I’m not going to be upset if we tail off a little as I think we are still a couple of players short of being genuine contenders - however we do have the Mourinho factor, so who knows....
This is a strange season. Mourinho's taken flouncy sexy Spurs and made us some sort of result-getting juggernaut. Yesterday's game saw us edge further over to the dark side. Do I like us being intelligent cunbts? HELL YES!

But seriously, assuming the Manchester teams win their games in hand, the top 6 will look like this:
Code:
1. Spurs     24
2. Liverpool 24
3. Chelsea   22
4. Man Utd   22
5. Emirates Marketing Project  21
6. Leicester 21

(yes, I've realised that it's the Manchester derby next up, but I'm not counting that as the game in hand)

After all the early-season malarkey, that's basically business as usual. Apart from Arsenal :)

That is incredibly close at this stage of the season. Two bad results and we're down 4th or 5th, and the press will have their knives out again.

Before Christmas we play Palace (A), Liverpool (A) and Leicester (H), followed by Wolves (A) on Dec 27th. Palace have hit form, it seems, but the next three are the big ones. If we get something at Anfield, I'll start believing that we're title contenders, and not a moment before.

Agree with @FatBloke. If we can do to Liverpool what we have done with City, Chelsea and Arsenal, I'll be mighty impressed! Liverpool are bang in form. It will be incredibly difficult.

Agree with @FatBloke. If we can do to Liverpool what we have done with City, Chelsea and Arsenal, I'll be mighty impressed! Liverpool are bang in form. It will be incredibly difficult.
Agreed, they're at least a level above City and Arsenal and better than Chelsea too.

Think we could get more counter attacking space in that one though. Hope Ndombele is back, Lo Celso did alright, but Ndombele is immense.
Things are looking good so far but absolutely nothing to get excited about when you look at the league table.
Still think will we rue West Ham and Saudi Sportswashing Machine dropped points come the end of the season.
What would it take to be excited at this stage of the season?

This is a strange season. Mourinho's taken flouncy sexy Spurs and made us some sort of result-getting juggernaut. Yesterday's game saw us edge further over to the dark side. Do I like us being intelligent cunbts? HELL YES!

But seriously, assuming the Manchester teams win their games in hand, the top 6 will look like this:
Code:
1. Spurs     24
2. Liverpool 24
3. Chelsea   22
4. Man Utd   22
5. Emirates Marketing Project  21
6. Leicester 21

(yes, I've realised that it's the Manchester derby next up, but I'm not counting that as the game in hand)

After all the early-season malarkey, that's basically business as usual. Apart from Arsenal :)

That is incredibly close at this stage of the season. Two bad results and we're down 4th or 5th, and the press will have their knives out again.

Before Christmas we play Palace (A), Liverpool (A) and Leicester (H), followed by Wolves (A) on Dec 27th. Palace have hit form, it seems, but the next three are the big ones. If we get something at Anfield, I'll start believing that we're title contenders, and not a moment before.

We're only 6 weeks away from the halfway point.

13 December Palace (A)
16 December Liverpool (A)
20 December Leicester (H)
27 December Wolves (A)
30 December Fulham (H)
2 January Leeds (H)
12 January Aston Villa (A)
16 January Sheffield United (A)

The reverse fixture against Liverpool starts the second half of the season at the end of January.

It's much too early to want anything but a draw, in any game involving anyone but the relegation candidates.

In your view. From my perspective, Emirates Marketing Project have far too many good players to not be in/around the top 2 by the end of the season and are more likely to finish above us than below us. I'd prefer us to be opening up a gap to Man U given that so far this season we've probably been playing better than them, yet we don't have much of a gap

Things are looking good so far but absolutely nothing to get excited about when you look at the league table.
Still think will we rue West Ham and Saudi Sportswashing Machine dropped points come the end of the season.

All teams have results like the WEst Ham and Saudi Sportswashing Machine ones though. The Saudi Sportswashing Machine was irks me more given that it wasn't us, just a dodgy refs decision, though again by the end of the season you'd expect other teams to also get some dodgy decisions

Very much agree. Liverpool remain the team to beat for me. Any team who finishes ahead of them wins the league IMO. And annoyingly they keep wining even without key players. I’d be disappointed with just top 4 and no trophies. That is known territory for most of our players. We need to win something, don’t care which trophy it is.

Think you’ve hit the tickle my balls with a feather re injuries. One injury to Kane or Son and i think we’re out of the title race unfortunately. We’re not a two man team but we’re currently a two man goal threat. We’ve done well to avoid injuries so far but sadly I don’t see that continuing. We’re just not that lucky to avoid injures for a whole season like Liverpool did for two seasons. Going back to when Redknapp was manager we always picked up injuries to king, modric etc.

Just out of interest, what do you think we are missing in order to be title winners? I’d say a top class CB and a midfielder like Sissoko but one that can actually play too. If Bale can even become the player he was under Redknapp then that could be the difference for us I feel. If he can add 10 league goals that would be a good season for him I believe

Very much agree. Liverpool remain the team to beat for me. Any team who finishes ahead of them wins the league IMO. And annoyingly they keep wining even without key players. I’d be disappointed with just top 4 and no trophies. That is known territory for most of our players. We need to win something, don’t care which trophy it is.

Think you’ve hit the tickle my balls with a feather re injuries. One injury to Kane or Son and i think we’re out of the title race unfortunately. We’re not a two man team but we’re currently a two man goal threat. We’ve done well to avoid injuries so far but sadly I don’t see that continuing. We’re just not that lucky to avoid injures for a whole season like Liverpool did for two seasons. Going back to when Redknapp was manager we always picked up injuries to king, modric etc.

Just out of interest, what do you think we are missing in order to be title winners? I’d say a top class CB and a midfielder like Sissoko but one that can actually play too. If Bale can even become the player he was under Redknapp then that could be the difference for us I feel. If he can add 10 league goals that would be a good season for him I believe
Imo if Bale can get going then that potentially negates one of Kane or Sonny getting injured. I think we will see more of Bale when we are not defending a lead in the super low block.

PEH getting injured is a massive worry. I'd even say a CM that can replace or play with him is priority. (I'm sure we'll be keeping a very close eye on Skipp)

Yeah I just don’t have any faith in particular in Kane not getting injured for some period. I think our first XI are good enough to challenge for the title,just a couple of additions to the squad. I did think we needed a CB for starting XI but Tony and Dier have stepped up, but even with Rondon I would say we need another top CB to lighten the load as I’ve given up on Sanchez. And I’m happy with Sissoko, especially for the games against the big boys but a DM who is technically good (not dissimilar to PEH) would be ideal as in certain games we need someone better on the ball than Sissoko, and PEH is being used a lot and would be good if we had someone of a similar ilk to rotate. Then I don’t really see any holes in our squad - that’s why I don’t think we are too far off....

Not even thinking about staying in first place, the objective at the begining of the season was to get back into the top four ( i also think we will win a cup under Jose) and at the moment we are looking as we can achieve that. Long way to go yet and as they say " one game at a time".

Imo if Bale can get going then that potentially negates one of Kane or Sonny getting injured. I think we will see more of Bale when we are not defending a lead in the super low block.

PEH getting injured is a massive worry. I'd even say a CM that can replace or play with him is priority. (I'm sure we'll be keeping a very close eye on Skipp)

Yeah getting Bale back firing is vital. Agree re Hojbjerg. We have no like for like replacement for him.

Yeah I just don’t have any faith in particular in Kane not getting injured for some period. I think our first XI are good enough to challenge for the title,just a couple of additions to the squad. I did think we needed a CB for starting XI but Tony and Dier have stepped up, but even with Rondon I would say we need another top CB to lighten the load as I’ve given up on Sanchez. And I’m happy with Sissoko, especially for the games against the big boys but a DM who is technically good (not dissimilar to PEH) would be ideal as in certain games we need someone better on the ball than Sissoko, and PEH is being used a lot and would be good if we had someone of a similar ilk to rotate. Then I don’t really see any holes in our squad - that’s why I don’t think we are too far off....

Yeah I’d actually say we need two CB’s as Sanchez us toast and Toby is getting older. If we’re being really ruthless then I’d say at some point we need to look at upgrading Moura, Lamela or Bergwijn. Not a priority right now but they are all upgradable IMO.

If the two Manchester teams win their game in hand, there are 3 points separating the top 6. Too early to get carried away.
Which is why I am still unbelievably tinkled at the 4 points we dropped against Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Spam on the last fudging minute! We'd have a nice 4-point cushion now and the pressure would be on for those chasing us.

Wolves is a big one too. Not sure why people are looking past that one.

Back