• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Fight for Europa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Missing Champions League next season won’t mean much if Levy gets our next managerial appointment right.
It's an interesting question.
We assume our model is built on regular CL qualification, and just moved into a new stadium with a squad that needs a few CL quality players adding. However, they might be hard to attract - we are not "regular qualifiers having a blip" yet.

Anything other than a win at Everton will show Levy's thinking. He is pragmatic, so maybe is prepared for a one season blip.

Us getting CL for the last two years and them not hasn't made a great deal of difference. Not like we're staring down at them from any great height.

Us getting CL for the last two years and them not hasn't made a great deal of difference. Not like we're staring down at them from any great height.
That’s because their other revenues equate to £60 odd million more than ours. Us having CL and then not makes our income comparable. If they get that income and we don’t then they’re back to receiving £100 odd million more than us again and the additional transfer and wage budget that will bring.

There will be a few more wanting out if we don’t have CL football - and am I right in thinking Lo Celso coming permanently is dependent on us qualifying for the CL?

Again I think the club can manage one season out of it. We have a great squad that will take at least two or three seasons of dire underachievement (more I'd actually say) to be destroyed. If Arsenal are in it for a season, it's not going to push them anywhere near City or Liverpool or any meaningful trophies. Anyway, they are in almost as big a mess as us at present so this could well be irrelevant.

It's all on Levy finding a good manager to replace Poch if he can't turn it round. Maybe he won't and we will go into a period of decline, I don't think that is obvious now or will be triggered automatically by us missing one season of the CL.

Again I think the club can manage one season out of it. We have a great squad that will take at least two or three seasons of dire underachievement (more I'd actually say) to be destroyed. If Arsenal are in it for a season, it's not going to push them anywhere near City or Liverpool or any meaningful trophies. Anyway, they are in almost as big a mess as us at present so this could well be irrelevant.

It's all on Levy finding a good manager to replace Poch if he can't turn it round. Maybe he won't and we will go into a period of decline, I don't think that is obvious now or will be triggered automatically by us missing one season of the CL.
You think Levy will go out and sign the 4 quality players our manager asks for with our income dropping by £80+ million?

I don't think we need four quality players. We have a very good squad right now, it's just they aren't playing for the manager. We've seen this at Chelsea starkly, finish mid-table, then win the league the next year with the same group. Chelsea also look better than last year with a fresh approach and no money spent. Anyway, you're entitled to your gloomy beliefs. I don't share them but fair enough.

Is anyone really saying that DL is going to do a Gordon brown and spend all the money from the boom years of CL and not forsee a period of non CL football and save some of the money to level those years out?

That’s because their other revenues equate to £60 odd million more than ours. Us having CL and then not makes our income comparable. If they get that income and we don’t then they’re back to receiving £100 odd million more than us again and the additional transfer and wage budget that will bring.
This... it’s taken 3 consecutive years of us having CL football with the nomads being in Europa to narrow their financial advantage from £141m to £10m.

B588C6F6-1A69-4175-973B-CA9A6DD8254D.jpeg

Plus UEFA now calculate payments based upon last 10 seasons European results, so we really could do with them being stuck in doldrums for a while longer so that their sponsorship deals decline and FFP forces them to cut their wage bill.

And yet we should be.

Us also underperforming has somewhat levelled the playing field. Really we should be out of sight of them at this point.

The gap in revenues was vast and FFP means Levy couldn’t just double our wage bill like Abramovich / Mansour even if he wanted to. So it’s only when next spring’s set of figures are released that we should start to see Spurs finally benefitting from 3 consecutive seasons in CL at Goons expense plus the improved stadium revenue.

If we want to really put some daylight between ourselves and the nomads then it’s probably going to take closer to a decade to see our squad completely strengthened with annual intakes of top drawer players whilst the likes of Aubameyang desert theirs, as the Europa League cripples their finances like it once did ours.

upload_2019-10-29_10-9-16.jpeg

I was talking football, not finance
We were fortunate that Ramsey got injured during the run-in, otherwise we’d be back in Europa this season and the likes of N’dombele plus Lo Celso would’ve probably turned their noses up at signing for Spurs.

Our aging defence is a long way short of when we were challenging for the title and just have to hope that the new recruits can fill the voids left by Walker, Dembele, Wanyama and peak-Rose.

I like Torreira, looks tidy. Ceballos too - was keen on us getting him. Thats about it for me.

I think Torreira is average, he looked better than he was because they lacked a DM so badly, it’s like when Redknapp signed Palacios just putting a round peg in a round hole makes the world of difference, I didn’t count Ceballos because of the fact he is only on loan, I would have been delighted to get him on a permanent transfer but not interested in giving players game time to just go back to their clubs.

As we’ve seen with Liverpool, having lightning fast attackers who consistently find the net (hopefully Pepe doesn’t prove to be that too) papers over most cracks.

Liverpool and the scum are like night and day, Aubameyang and maybe Lacazzette are their only players that would get near Liverpool’s match day squad never mind team, and Ceballos would too but the same point as above he is not their player long term.

All things considering the scum as well as Man U, it’s laughable how bad they are when you take their finances into account

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back