• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The glorious march to CL qualification

4th and a cup would do as well.

This. We need to keep qualifying for Champions League (preferably at the expense of the Goons) for the £30million or so a year that adds to the coffers (especially with all that debt on the new stadium which needs paying off) but unless we’re actually going to win the EPL then 4th plus a cup would be preferable to 2nd or 3rd and no silverware imho.

So with Kane injured and Son now away, how many senior players do we have fit?

I'm counting two right backs (Aurier out), 3 CBs, 2 LBs, one CM (Winks), 3 AM's (Eriksen, Lamela and Dele) and Llorente. Jannsen and GKN are not being counted as both are well on their way to be sold. brick we could be without Llorente if he gets his move. All in all, we are out on our arses right now and Levy is going to have to risk the over spend or see the club plummet out of every competition and the top 4. I know we have a fair old gap back to Arsenal and UTD but we have far too many competitions to play in and too many absentees in the goalscoring dpt. None of Dele, Lamela nor Eriksen are going to fill the goal scoring chasm left by Kane and Son.

Fourth would be proof we've gone backwards, but i'd take and especially if we won a cup
I’d take 4th right now, probably because I’m feeling like the world is against us with our 4th centre mid casualty of the season and the loss of our star striker, the day his in form able deputy flies off to an international tournament.

Considering the personnel we’ve had missing and the lack of a proper home game ground on a month to month basis, chucking in manager speculation and the competing in 4 competitons to date I think we’ve made some steps forward albeit swimming against the tide.

4th place isn't going backwards IMO, not these days.
That top 6 is so, so competitive that any of the sides can put together a good run and be in the mixer very quickly. For me, the 3rd - 6th teams especially are all on a par with each other.

Whether we finish 3rd or 4th is pretty irrelevant to me - with the exception of needing a CL qualifying round of course. Yes, the higher the better, but i won't feel we've regressed should we finish one place lower than the previous season.

That top 6 is so, so competitive that any of the sides can put together a good run and be in the mixer very quickly. For me, the 3rd - 6th teams especially are all on a par with each other.

Whether we finish 3rd or 4th is pretty irrelevant to me - with the exception of needing a CL qualifying round of course. Yes, the higher the better, but i won't feel we've regressed should we finish one place lower than the previous season.

I hear what you're saying and agree to an extent but I also believe we are at worst the 4th best team/squad in the league, arguably 3rd best. I certainly don't think Chelsea are better than us. United possibly so finishing behind them wouldn't be a disaster.

Im pretty sure 4th doesnt have to go through that qualifying round now, so technically theres little difference.

Otherwise I agree.

In seasons past, on our form, we would be top and running away with it. The level of competition at the minute is nuts.

Im pretty sure 4th doesnt have to go through that qualifying round now, so technically theres little difference.

Otherwise I agree.

In seasons past, on our form, we would be top and running away with it. The level of competition at the minute is nuts.

To be a pedant, 51 points would’ve only put us top of the league at this stage thrice this century...

Top of the table after 23 games:
2018: Emirates Marketing Project 62pts
2017: Chavski 56pts
2016: Leicester 47pts*
2015: Chavski 53pts
2014: Emirates Marketing Project 53pts
2013: ManU 56pts
2012: Emirates Marketing Project 54pts
2011: ManU 54pts
2010: Chavski 58pts
2009: ManU 53pts
2008: ManU 54pts
2007: ManU 57pts
2006: Chavski 62pts
2005: Chavski 58pts
2004: ARSEnal 55pts
2003: ARSEnal 49pts*
2002: ManU 45pts*
2001: ManU 53pts
2000: ManU 53pts

Otherwise I agree.

The 4 top leagues (England, Germany, Spain, Italy) have 4 teams automatically qualified for the CL.
Only difference is 4th only gets half as much of the money for qualifying. 1st to 4th is diveded 40-30-20-10

To be a pedant, 51 points would’ve only put us top of the league at this stage thrice this century...

Top of the table after 23 games:
2018: Emirates Marketing Project 62pts
2017: Chavski 56pts
2016: Leicester 47pts*
2015: Chavski 53pts
2014: Emirates Marketing Project 53pts
2013: ManU 56pts
2012: Emirates Marketing Project 54pts
2011: ManU 54pts
2010: Chavski 58pts
2009: ManU 53pts
2008: ManU 54pts
2007: ManU 57pts
2006: Chavski 62pts
2005: Chavski 58pts
2004: ARSEnal 55pts
2003: ARSEnal 49pts*
2002: ManU 45pts*
2001: ManU 53pts
2000: ManU 53pts

Thats disappointing!

It feels like we are putting in title winning form of years gone, but in typical Spurs fashion it happens at a time when other teams are performing to insane levels...

I want to finish as high in the table as possible but if it's a choice between 2nd and no trophies and 4th and the LC or the FA Cup then it's a no brainer for me. 4th and a trophy all day.

Amen to that, lets fudging win something its been a while since we have.

...but, but, how will that fit in with the Sky Sports narrative of us bottling a title challenge!!!???!! :rolleyes:

fudge Sky and all those who think finishing second and no trophy is better then 3rd or 4th and winning a trophy. :D

Back