1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

The Fight for 4th/CL Qualification

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by 90291Spur, 9 Aug 2018.

1. LemonadeMoney

LemonadeMoney Nick Barmby

Two points between 1st and 2nd, and two points between 3rd and 6th? Looks like Sky have got their dream final day of the season.

Bullet likes this.
  2. Legohamster

Legohamster Chris Armstrong

“Had the better of us” indicates it was about us as well.

Lacazette missed two sitters and they had us under complete control knowing they could let us have the ball and we wouldn’t harm them, whilst the counter would hurt us.

harr1984 likes this.
  3. SPURSBOY

SPURSBOY Ricardo Rocha

I agree the worst Arsenal side in ages , but says more about us, normally a pen goes in and we lose that game and 4 out of 4

4. Gazza Dazzla

Gazza Dazzla Mitchell Thomas

Complete control huh? Ok, I’m not wasting anymore time on this then! Needless to say I disagree with you!

5. Mosquito_Coasting

Mosquito_Coasting Gus Poyet

People will hate this but Emery is doing a really good job. They have the worst set of players in the top six obviously and an unbalanced squad. Also he changes his tactics regularly. At the start of the season they were pressing high and getting results, now they are sitting deep and getting results. A manager who can switch between those two styles is gifted. Poch certainly has never organised us cohesively to sit back and hit teams on the break. I wouldn't swap managers of course but Arsenal are underrated this season.

6. StephenH

StephenH Ian Walker

They (Arsenal) are still sloppy IMHO.
    But I'm a paid-up card-carrying pessimist.
    I said 5th for us at the beginning of the season :(

7. parklane1

parklane1 Luka Modric

My fear as well.

8. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Les Medley

I’m surprised he hasn’t gone to a really big club ... maybe he will go to madrid next

9. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Les Ferdinand

I think he is doing ok. Not sure "really good" for me.

I think anyone coming in to replace a manager in situ for 25 years is on a hiding to nothing. So to have them there or thereabouts and not imploding is really quite an achievement.

That said, the team? Flaky as all hell. Very much like Arsenal of years past, when things go well they play well, otherwise they are gutless and prone to collapse.

They have been decidedly meh all season really barring a couple of runs.

His buys have been more miss than hit. And arguably he isnt getting the best out of the squad/better players at all.

10. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Chris Armstrong

I think he has done well. They were quite a distant 6th last season and this season they have a good shout at finishing in the top 4. That isn't to be sniffed at.

11. StephenH

StephenH Ian Walker

C+ for this years Arsenal so far!

12. nayimfromthehalfwayline

Not being sniffy, just not buying the hype either.

I think he has done a good job to get them where they are, but lets be honest - if Utd and Chelsea were playing as they should Arsenal would be a distant 6th right now...

13. P.D.

P.D. Jonathan Woodgate

He's had lots of criticism about not sorting the defence etc but some of the new midfielders look decent signings and no doubt he's a good manager, history shows that. Over the next 2/3 years I expect them to improve quite a bit.

Mosquito_Coasting likes this.
  14. We are Tottenham

We are Tottenham Allan Nielsen

What country hasn't, made foreign policy blunders..especially us in recent years !
    Something a bit contradictory there..

15. Benny_Lad

Benny_Lad Luke Young

Around xmas I wouldn't have thought it possible that they would get anywhere near us and couldn't wait to have them back to Wembley. As it is they have improved a bit, we have regressed a bit and that has enabled them to close the gap. From what I have seen Emery is getting it right more often than not. He's happy to switch up players and styles, which is keeping the players fresh and there isn't a huge difference in quality between the teams that take the pitch for them.

They look a lot fresher than us and along with the rotation, are are probably benefiting from their lack of WC squad mins.

With their remaining fixtures it would take a big leap of faith to think they wont get as many points as us from now to the end of the season.

That said, with a couple of quality additions I think we'll kick on from them again next season.

16. nayimfromthehalfwayline

I should add - where I think Emery has absolutely excelled is with Ozil. He has played that one perfectly IMO.

Im not writing him/them off. I just dont think they have done as well as some obviously do.

17. harr1984

harr1984 Paul Stalteri

They're one point off us having played all the big teams - so I guess that would make us a distant 5th at best? He has done a very good job, you saw at Man Utd how hard transition can be from a manager who has been there for eternity, and he hasnt even got his own squad yet. Looks like they are getting Monchi as Director of Football too, they are going to be strong in future years.....

18. nayimfromthehalfwayline

All things being equal we should be 4th/5th.

Ive already noted he has done a good job. Just not getting carried away with it. Particularly in regard to the praise heaped on how they play - its really not that good.

19. Mosquito_Coasting

Mosquito_Coasting Gus Poyet

I don't think they play well, I think they play cleverly. And that is to the credit of Emery.

20. parklane1

parklane1 Luka Modric

He has done well, so far.