• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Defence

I agree, but Toby is a massive loss in this regard too.

He clearly is. And missing him, Lamela and at the same time being without a deep (midfield) playmaker is hurting us in my opinion.

I know it sounds mean but I wish it were Toby clashing into Verts knee... And we can see more of Vinmer with Toby, which I think is a better pairing.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Primarily because Wimmer is further along as a CB than Dier is imo.

He clearly is. And missing him, Lamela and at the same time being without a deep (midfield) playmaker is hurting us in my opinion.

Primarily because Wimmer is further along as a CB than Dier is imo.
And I don't blame Dier, he was trained as a right back Iirc.

The problem with Verts is that he is no leader, and somewhat tries to defend in isolation. He is extremely quiet for a CB and that is not a good thing.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Fapatalk

And I don't blame Dier, he was trained as a right back Iirc.

The problem with Verts is that he is no leader, and somewhat tries to defend in isolation. He is extremely quiet for a CB and that is not a good thing.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Fapatalk

Like Vertonghen and Alderweireld before him I believe Dier has been schooled in a way that allows him to play multiple positions. He's not an old fashioned Dawson-esque centre back that would be lost in just about every other position on the pitch (arguably including left sided centre back).

I don't blame him for not being the finished article as a centre back at this point. Just pointing out that there's more difference between the Alderweireld-Wimmer and Dier-Vertonghen partnerships than Jan and Toby.

Tonight's win against Cheatski means we claim back the current best defensive record in the league.
And we (along with Liverpool) have lost the fewest league games.
Our defence rocks!

(We also now have the joint 2nd best goal difference, just 2 behind Cheatski).

Have we looked so fragile at the back in recent years? FFS, Leicester won the ball in every single ruddy corner they had! If they weren't so profligate, we would not be happy chappies this evening...

Looking at saves doesn’t make good reading for us. We’ve had 89 saves which is more than Brighton (79), Crystal Palace (65), and Saudi Sportswashing Machine (72) amongst other teams.

We’ve had nearly twice the number of saves as Emirates Marketing Project (46), and many more than both Chelsea (55) and Liverpool (53).

So we’re allowing opponents too many chances. I think the problem stems from midfield and our lack of a true ball winner in there for most of the season. And that puts our defence under more pressure. That and we are more attacking than worrying about our defending.

Back