• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Defence

SUIYHA

Scott Parker
Pochettino's signings as Spurs manager so far read:

Vorm
Davies
Dier
Yedlin
Fazio
Stambouli
Dele Alli
Trippier
Wimmer
Alderweireld

Almost like we've conceded over 50 league goals in two successive seasons or something?

I am hoping now that we sign some attacking players, and would be keen to see what sort of player Poch/Mitchell go for in this regard. However it does look as though our defensive signings are now complete, so it's time to think about what our defence will look like next season.

Will Walker keep his place at RB or will Trippier come straight in? Or perhaps Alderweireld will start there? Let's not forget Dier's good performances there in the final few games. Will Yedlin get a chance at RB in the first team? Do we stick with the Belgian partnership of Jan and Toby, or does Wimmer come into the side? Do Kaboul, Chiriches and Fazio have any future at Spurs? Is there enough pace in defence to play the Lloris sweeper keeper high line again? Do we need to sign a dedicated DM to protect this lot? Could one of the many defenders we have on our books play in DM?

Defensive chat goes in here. How do you want to see us setting up?

Assuming Walker is over his injury, at Old Trafford I would expect to see a back four of:
Rose ---- Vertonghen ---- Alderweireld ---- Walker

Our first Europa League game:
Davies ---- Fazio ---- Dier ----- Trippier

Wimmer will start the season as defensive cover for injuries but will obviously be expected to challenge for a starting spot. Equally, that "second string" should all be pushing those ahead of them. When a team has a European campaign to deal with, nobody will ever convince me that it's a good idea to start the season with less than 5 centre backs.

Prior to Alderweireld signing, I originally expected Veljkovic to be that fifth CB but he'll obviously head out on loan again and (hopefully for him) come back next season as a ready-made upgrade for one of our current five.

I think we may dabble at 5 at the back or a 3-5-2 so to speak

All our full backs are more attack minded

We now have a selection of centre backs who are comfortable on the ball

We have limitations on our attacking players as there all number 10s so this means we can get the best out of them and we only have one real forward in Kane that you would assume will be the mainstay of the side

Would kinda look like

......................................... Hugo.......................

...... Toby ........................ Fazio .......................Jan

..trippier. Rose

Mason. Erisken. Bentelab

Lamellla. Kane

Plus of course we have plenty of interchangeable otions

Assuming Walker is over his injury, at Old Trafford I would expect to see a back four of:
Rose ---- Vertonghen ---- Alderweireld ---- Walker

Our first Europa League game:
Davies ---- Fazio ---- Dier ----- Trippier

Wimmer will start the season as defensive cover for injuries but will obviously be expected to challenge for a starting spot. Equally, that "second string" should all be pushing those ahead of them. When a team has a European campaign to deal with, nobody will ever convince me that it's a good idea to start the season with less than 5 centre backs.

Prior to Alderweireld signing, I originally expected Veljkovic to be that fifth CB but he'll obviously head out on loan again and (hopefully for him) come back next season as a ready-made upgrade for one of our current five.

I agree

I think we may dabble at 5 at the back or a 3-5-2 so to speak

All our full backs are more attack minded

We now have a selection of centre backs who are comfortable on the ball

We have limitations on our attacking players as there all number 10s so this means we can get the best out of them and we only have one real forward in Kane that you would assume will be the mainstay of the side

Would kinda look like

......................................... Hugo.......................

...... Toby ........................ Fazio .......................Jan

..trippier. Rose

Mason. Erisken. Bentelab

Lamellla. Kane

Plus of course we have plenty of interchangeable otions

I don't think that we will start any games like this. I am not aware of Poch setting teams up like this before or any of our CBs playing in a back three much before. The reason why we have attacking FBs is so that they can provide an overlap and create space, this would be lost in 3-5-2. It also would not fit very well with the midfielder that we have been linked with.

My conclusion is that either Poch has decided that we need five CBs to cover all competitions or that one of our CBs is about to be sold or loaned. I suspect the former.

I don't think that we will start any games like this. I am not aware of Poch setting teams up like this before or any of our CBs playing in a back three much before. The reason why we have attacking FBs is so that they can provide an overlap and create space, this would be lost in 3-5-2. It also would not fit very well with the midfielder that we have been linked with.

My conclusion is that either Poch has decided that we need five CBs to cover all competitions or that one of our CBs is about to be sold or loaned. I suspect the former.

A lot of people said him and avb were 4-3-3 men too. Maybe, just maybe managers pick a formation to suit the players they have at the time and then tweak it to suit what they want

Anyway mine was just a radical suggestion, no more than that

A lot of people said him and avb were 4-3-3 men too. Maybe, just maybe managers pick a formation to suit the players they have at the time and then tweak it to suit what they want

Anyway mine was just a radical suggestion, no more than that

What are the benefits you would see from moving to 3-5-2?

More solid defence

More solid midfield and gets our best players central where they can do the damage potentially

Were the teams who dabbled with it in the Premier League last year more defensively solid than comparable teams who played four at the back?

Man Utd, Liverpool and QPR off of the top of my head

Liverpool definitely played 3 at the back but played 4-3-3 when I saw them. They had no wide players defenders. I think one game they had sterling one side and ibe the other

United I never saw play 3 but them and QPR couldn't defend with a tank as their players are woeful

I'm not saying it's the answer but it's an option

Liverpool definitely played 3 at the back but played 4-3-3 when I saw them. They had no wide players defenders. I think one game they had sterling one side and ibe the other

United I never saw play 3 but them and QPR couldn't defend with a tank as their players are woeful

I'm not saying it's the answer but it's an option

The only managers that I have seen use 3-5-2 recently are ones who can't stop meddling or do not know how to best utilise their squad.

Leicester are the only one whos looked successful playing 3 at the back with 2 wing backs in Schlupp and Albrighton.

Yeah but that was all when they just went gung ho all guns blazing

It worked though

I'm not sure we would ever play like that to be fair

The only managers that I have seen use 3-5-2 recently are ones who can't stop meddling or do not know how to best utilise their squad.

Yeah I agree with that. Managers who seem to have a lot of credit but to us look like their making it up as they go along

As I said it's probably not the answer but it's an option

I look at 4-2-3-1 and see a massive issue with out wide players not staying wide or in the case of lamella only playing on one foot and making us predictable. It's why we struggled against some brick sides IMO. But if we upgrade our wide options then the system can be great

i see we are being linked with a new centre half :eek:

Manolas at Roma

Yeah I agree with that. Managers who seem to have a lot of credit but to us look like their making it up as they go along

As I said it's probably not the answer but it's an option

I look at 4-2-3-1 and see a massive issue with out wide players not staying wide or in the case of lamella only playing on one foot and making us predictable. It's why we struggled against some crud sides IMO. But if we upgrade our wide options then the system can be great

It is the fullbacks who should be providing the width in our system. The idea is that our inside forwards cut in and allow the fullbacks to go past them. If we were doing this successfully then Llamela's one footedness should not be a problem because he has the option of shooting, playing a through ball or playing it square.

TA can play RCB and CB
JV can play LCB and CB
Dier can probably play all three positions
Wimmer I cannot comment on
Fazio could probably play all three positions too

Any of those with Bentaleb in front of them would work out well because for the most part they are all decent with the ball something which LVG had problems with at UTD with Smalling, Evans and Jones all looking sub-standard when expected to play the ball forward.

I did watch a bit of Juve playing 352 when Conte was the manager and I found their football to be absolutely beautiful at times. They did however have the luxury of an all-star midfield three containing Pirlo, Vidal and Pogba, two absolute machines and one of the greatest deep ball players we have ever seen conducting most of their play. The two wingbacks had insane engines which we could imitate with our guys (cover for the left is weak mind as I doubt Davies could do it) but it's that midfield three that we can't hope to replicate for at least a few years (I'm hoping here that lads like Onomah and Alli develop into the players they promise to be).

Personally I cannot see it happening and I think we will hear rumbling of discontent from 1-2 of our CB's in January.

It is the fullbacks who should be providing the width in our system. The idea is that our inside forwards cut in and allow the fullbacks to go past them. If we were doing this successfully then Llamela's one footedness should not be a problem because he has the option of shooting, playing a through ball or playing it square.

The problem is the opposition know he only has one door and one direction to go!!!

It's going off topic massively I know

Back