• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Cricket Thread

How do they work out of interest?

The BARB figures come from a few thousand people have a box that logs what they watch. Sky (and I assume the cable/ISP providers) have detailed data on viewing figures but this isn't used for the official figures and they don't share it with other content providers.

The BARB figures come from a few thousand people have a box that logs what they watch. Sky (and I assume the cable/ISP providers) have detailed data on viewing figures but this isn't used for the official figures and they don't share it with other content providers.
Ahhh, i think I saw a family guy episode on this actually!

What a day of sport, the Cricket was fantastic. Gotta say, I am not a massive fan of Test Cricket, but when the Limited overs game is like that it is pure drama. Feel sorry for the Kiwis but really pleased England - its nice to see a team I am supporting actually win something for a change!

When Wood was run out off the last ball of the 50th over I was convinced NZ had won it. Was totally drained, could not believe it, got up and walked out.

Then when I came back into the room for a moment I could not understand what was going on. Only to find it was full-time at the Etihad all over again, the match was tied and now had to be decided by a super over.

What? Shows how much I know about cricket, I'd assumed when Wood was run out that the first single they'd completed would not count. Therefore England had lost by one run.

But as if that wasn't enough, the final super over was a repeat of the extraordinary drama that had gone before.

You knpw, sometimes it just seems wrong for one side to get all the spoils, and if ever there was such a moment this was it. It surely would have been fairer all round if they'd called it a tie and been done with it.

But credit to England, they held their nerve right down to the very last action of the match, so they can hold their heads high.

Congratulations to England and commiserations to NZ, they were both magnificent.

Well my faith was repayed once in sport, thank you GHod.

Plus I won my bet on England winning and Root being England top scorer in the tournament

It was a wonderful game with all the ebb and flow you see in a test match and I'm sure for non cricket fans it was exciting, I was a little disappointed in the wicket as no player looked "in" on it and driving was very difficult.

Just a shame there isn’t more live free cricket on. It’s a false economy as if there was, more people would follow this great (summer) game.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
Sky were effectively shamed by the media into sharing the final with Channel Four but presumably they also reckoned it might the best way to attract new subscribers. Unfortunately the fact it was such an extraordinary final kind of plays right into their hands.

I agree there should be more free to air cricket on tv but I don't think it will generate more players, Wimbledon gets millions watching it regularly yet in most of the parks with courts they are empty and vandalised. Only T20 fits into the time frame people are prepared to watch and that is as much like real cricket as 5 a side football is to the real game.

I agree there should be more free to air cricket on tv but I don't think it will generate more players, Wimbledon gets millions watching it regularly yet in most of the parks with courts they are empty and vandalised. Only T20 fits into the time frame people are prepared to watch and that is as much like real cricket as 5 a side football is to the real game.
Daresay you're right, but in our local park where we have two courts both free and open to all they're pretty well used all year round.

Reason I take particular satisfaction is 15 years ago they were very under used except by the same small select band of dedicated adults, often coming from outside the borough to take advantage of the relatively modest charges. We almost never saw young kids with their mum or dad. I know this because I was responsible for collecting the fees and managing the courts.

So I lead the campaign to end charging and now inwardly rejoice every time I see mums and/or dads with their kids as well as teenagers using the courts.

Just wonder how many other authorities allow free use of their tennis courts these days?

Daresay you're right, but in our local park where we have two courts both free and open to all they're pretty well used all year round.

Reason I take particular satisfaction is 15 years ago they were very under used except by the same small select band of dedicated adults, often coming from outside the borough to take advantage of the relatively modest charges. We almost never saw young kids with their mum or dad. I know this because I was responsible for collecting the fees and managing the courts.

So I lead the campaign to end charging and now inwardly rejoice every time I see mums and/or dads with their kids as well as teenagers using the courts.

Just wonder how many other authorities allow free use of their tennis courts these days?

Out of interest, How are they maintained with no fees?
I've played Tennis since I was a kid and the public courts in parks etc. were often free but in terrible condition around our way, so we always chipped in and paid to play at club courts.
It's nice to hear you're seeing them getting used more nowadays.

I've played Tennis since I was a kid and the public courts in parks etc. were often free but in terrible condition around our way, so we always chipped in and paid to play at club courts.
They seem to be maintained surprisingly well, certainly better than when I was involved! Never see them sagging or neglected nowadays like they used to be when hired out! However the council does also hire out courts elsewhere that are of a much higher standard all round.

Therein lies the problem, not many tennis clubs or cricket pitches in inner cities, both games are virtually monopolized by the middle classes in the suburbs. I know I'm in the minority but I believe kids should get a much help as they can to play sports and ENJOY them and understand that you're not a failure if you're not very good at it, it still can be fun.

Back