• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Cricket Thread

Pleased about this, this lad could be something special

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45075720

England have called up uncapped batsman Ollie Pope in place of Dawid Malan for the second Test against India at Lord's starting on Thursday.

Surrey's Pope, 20, is the second highest run-scorer in County Championship Division One this season, with 684 at an average of 85.50.

Chris Woakes replaces fellow all-rounder Ben Stokes, whose trial for alleged affray begins on Monday.

England won a thrilling first Test at Edgbaston by 31 runs on Saturday.

Uncapped seamer Jamie Porter and off-spinning all-rounder Moeen Ali, who were left out of the final XI in Birmingham, retain their places in the 13-man squad.

You're on 98 and your team needs two runs for victory. A maiden century is yours for the taking.

Or is it?

Club cricketer Jay Darrell found himself in exactly that situation on Saturday - and what happened next has caused a fair bit of controversy in the Somerset Cricket League.

Instead of delivering the ball, a Purnell Cricket Club bowler chose to send it to the boundary to give away four runs and one for the no-ball - thus denying Minehead batsman Darrell his century.

"Not nice to see," said Minehead Cricket Club on Twitter. "But more to the point, a great innings and a great win.

"Respect to the Purnell captain who apologised to the batsman on behalf of his bowler but some things just can't be undone."

Darrell, who finished 98 not out, also commented on social media, although he was a little more diplomatic about it all.

"Hell of a game today," tweeted Darrell. "Shame the way it ended but oh well."

It completed a fantastic all-round match for Darrell, who took 3-22 as Purnell made 280-7 in their innings.

Responding to criticism on Twitter, Purnell's official account said "the unsavoury scenes to end the game can't be condoned" and both the bowler and the club's captain had apologised.

They said the matter will now be" dealt with internally by the club"

You're on 98 and your team needs two runs for victory. A maiden century is yours for the taking.

Or is it?

Club cricketer Jay Darrell found himself in exactly that situation on Saturday - and what happened next has caused a fair bit of controversy in the Somerset Cricket League.

Instead of delivering the ball, a Purnell Cricket Club bowler chose to send it to the boundary to give away four runs and one for the no-ball - thus denying Minehead batsman Darrell his century.

"Not nice to see," said Minehead Cricket Club on Twitter. "But more to the point, a great innings and a great win.

"Respect to the Purnell captain who apologised to the batsman on behalf of his bowler but some things just can't be undone."

Darrell, who finished 98 not out, also commented on social media, although he was a little more diplomatic about it all.

It completed a fantastic all-round match for Darrell, who took 3-22 as Purnell made 280-7 in their innings.

Responding to criticism on Twitter, Purnell's official account said "the unsavoury scenes to end the game can't be condoned" and both the bowler and the club's captain had apologised.

I played Cricket for a few years and then retired to the action of watching and a few beers, maybe being involved in the game playing I missed it but watching from sidelines you realise how nasty it can get.

I watched a game a year ago where needle between a batsman and bowler boiled up nicely and although no real verbals or fisty cuffs you could see they were both promoting it onwards.

It can be a really niggly game at times

I played Cricket for a few years and then retired to the action of watching and a few beers, maybe being involved in the game playing I missed it but watching from sidelines you realise how nasty it can get.

I watched a game a year ago where needle between a batsman and bowler boiled up nicely and although no real verbals or fisty cuffs you could see they were both promoting it onwards.

It can be a really niggly game at times

I think you can say the same for most proper sports, i used to play a few for many years and had many a bust up. My old lady said i was usually a nice guy but when i stepped onto a pitch she said my eyes changed and i became a different guy.

I think you can say the same for most proper sports, i used to play a few for many years and had many a bust up. My old lady said i was usually a nice guy but when i stepped onto a pitch she said my eyes changed and i became a different guy.

Oh yeh of course, its funny because I have seen many examples of where a batsman who could be a really nice guy gets close to 100 and the bowling side resent it like nothing you have seen and try dirty tricks like what this bloke has done to stop it, rather losing than letting them get their milestone.

Hope he's feeling proud of himself...no doubt this'll follow him around for a while

Or is it?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/cri...tting-century-is-banned/ar-BBLFpEW?li=BBoPWjQ

Serves the clam right

India 84/7
Setting up tomorrow for my day at Lords nicely and it's meant to be sunny tomorrow wahoooooooooooooooo

Must say test cricket is nowhere near as good as it used to be, very dominated by the pitches now. Seems to be fewer and fewer close series. England will go to India and get spinned out, bounced out in Australia and then beat them both with a good amount of swing when they come here. Rinse and repeat bar the odd anomaly.

Back