• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Cricket Thread

To be honest you get caught you say its your first time when in reality its the first time you have been caught.

Whats worse about the Aussie incident it two fold, one how blatant and almost slapstick it was which lends itself to the second point that its part of a long line of lawless Aussie actions in the last 18 months. They were either stupid or arrogant and I believe its the second. They have pushed out the "Why always us" line test in test out whilst being utter vile.

Just because the penalty is a fine doesn't mean his career would continue with Australia. The public haven't taken it well, throwing him to the wolves would've sorted that.

"The public" are 10x more aggrieved by the "collusion" of multiple "senior" players. Bancroft is a no one by comparison. He might of shouted 'they made me!' Even so, that scenario was manageable by the ACB or whoever.
I still dont buy the mass career suicide for "ball tampering"?
Unless its preferable for the ACB and all concerned than the alternative and real reasons.

My point is the ball tampering could have been sorted at the time the umpires were aware of the issue if they had been honest about it, but the first attempt to cover it up, which appeared to be managed by people off the field and the decieving the umpires start to make the matter appear worse. When the Australian group start to see it shown on the screens at the ground and realise its being shown round the world they panic, sportsmen arent usually very smart and do have an over inflated veiw of themselves and probably thought put our hands up and accept a slapped wrist.
I suppose I'm showing my age but I can't accept that ball tampering is all just part of the game, I dislike any form of cheating.

My point is the ball tampering could have been sorted at the time the umpires were aware of the issue if they had been honest about it, but the first attempt to cover it up, which appeared to be managed by people off the field and the decieving the umpires start to make the matter appear worse. When the Australian group start to see it shown on the screens at the ground and realise its being shown round the world they panic, sportsmen arent usually very smart and do have an over inflated veiw of themselves and probably thought put our hands up and accept a slapped wrist.
I suppose I'm showing my age but I can't accept that ball tampering is all just part of the game, I dislike any form of cheating.

They fell on the swords in panic?
The whole thing was bizarre and somewhat stage managed IMHO.

The Australian nation would have moaned in the press as Bancroft was thrown under a bus. In the end it would been forgotten just like with Attherton 30? years ago. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cr...ravid-issue-stained-cricket-s-reputation.html

Now the outrage is mainly because it was a group 'senior' players but still ONLY ball tampering. As you said the Aussies thinks its part of the game, anyway.

Its cheating pure and simple IMHO bye the way..
But that not what bothers me, what does is the amount of senior players and for no apparent reason owned up. No one was in the frame except Bancroft. They had no need to.

Last edited:
Perhaps they thought that by owning up they got the opportunity to claim it was a one off, a momentary lapse of judgement, rather than a pattern. Perhaps they are so arrogant that they though they could brush it off. Smith's admission and then refusal to step down as captain suggests he didn't think it was that big a deal. He might be revising this opinion.

The whole thing is perplexing. It doesn't make that much sense, but then one has to search in to conspiracy theory territory for a better explanation. I think I still have to put it down to a mix of arrogance and stupidity, even though this doesn't make complete sense to me.

Perhaps they thought that by owning up they got the opportunity to claim it was a one off, a momentary lapse of judgement, rather than a pattern. Perhaps they are so arrogant that they though they could brush it off. Smith's admission and then refusal to step down as captain suggests he didn't think it was that big a deal. He might be revising this opinion.

The whole thing is perplexing. It doesn't make that much sense, but then one has to search in to conspiracy theory territory for a better explanation. I think I still have to put it down to a mix of arrogance and stupidity, even though this doesn't make complete sense to me.

You pretty much summed it up, but these so called men are not men, Bancroft was goaded into having a pop at Bairstow by senior players but equally he feels to be in the crowd he has to perform, thats what happens when you have management then a senior group in a big group of players, its almost a bully boy mentality.

My journey into "conspiracy theory territory" is purely based on - why own up when you were not even 'publicly' known to be either complicit or involved? All this "leadership group" mumbo jumbo sounds like an expedient and rushed poorly thought out back story.

Last edited:
A residual sense of honour about encouraging a younger player to cheat? Or the expectation that the involvement couldn't be covered up. The leadership group is supposedly half the team so would none of them let something slip? Would Bancroft simply take it quietly? Or Smith really didn't think it that big a deal?

There is now evidence that Bancroft put sugar in his pocket during the Ashes. If they thought this stayed the right side of the line, using tape would be a small shift of the boundary. The Sun has something about Warner taunting the England players about using tape on his hands during the Ashes. If they thought this was all merely seeking an edge, while keeping the right side of the line from cheating, the admission wouldn't have seemed such a big thing.

Bancroft got roped in cos Warner got caught with sandpaper in an eraleir test I read earlier..

Sandpaper!!!!!

I’m not a cricket man and I can take it or leave it but I do admire the principles of the game

This is geneuinely shocking behaviour and is on par with doping for me

If The ACB have anything about them then smith and warner have to get lifetime bans

But we know the won’t... I believe they came out as the leadership team as it makes more than one person accountable and therefore harder to blame

Some of the so-called leadership group seem less than pleased by being blamed.

David Warner becomes focus of ball-tampering scandal as Cricket Australia prepares to announce punishments

Reports in Australia on Tuesday morning are firmly pointing the finger of blame at David Warner with suggestions he has fallen out with team-mates and been isolated within the camp.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported on Tuesday morning that Warner may have played his last game for Australia such is the anger within the squad. The newspaper reported that Warner had told investigators all players were aware of the ball tampering plan believing blame should be spread rather than fall on one or two individuals.

But the bowlers, Josh Hazelwood, MItchell Starc and Nathan Lyon are said to be incensed and claim they knew nothing of the ball tampering plan. Warner has removed himself from the team’s WhatsApp messaging group as he distanced himself from his colleagues.

Year bans for Warner and Smith, Bancroft gets 9 months.

Back just in time for the Ashes 2019......

Don’t think we’ll see Warner in the baggy green again though.

The given reasons for punishments provide a bit more information. They used sandpaper and lied about it being yellow tape and Bancroft had already lied to the umpires by showing is sunglasses case. There is also the suggestion that it was Warner who cooked up the plan with Bancroft and that when Smith found out he just let them continue.

Cricket Australia said Smith:

• knew of a potential plan to attempt to artificially alter the condition of the ball
  • failed to take steps to seek to prevent the development and implementation of that plan
  • directed that evidence of attempted tampering be concealed on the field of play
  • sought to mislead match officials and others regarding Bancroft's attempts to artificially alter the condition of the ball
  • made misleading public comments regarding the nature, extent and participants of the plan
The body said Warner:

• developed a plan to attempt to artificially alter the condition of the ball
  • instructed a junior player to carry out a plan to take steps to attempt to artificially alter the condition of the ball using sandpaper
  • provided advice to a junior player regarding how a ball could be artificially altered including demonstrating how it could be done
  • failed to take steps to seek to prevent the development and/or implementation of the plan
  • failed to report his knowledge of the plan at any time prior to or during the match
  • misled match officials through the concealment of his knowledge of and involvement in the plan
  • failed to voluntarily report his knowledge of the plan after the match
It found Bancroft:

• knew of the existence of, and was being party to, the plan to attempt to artificially alter the condition of the ball using sandpaper
  • carried out instructions to attempt to artificially alter the condition of the ball
  • sought to conceal evidence of his attempts to artificially alter the condition of the ball
  • sought to mislead match officials and others regarding his attempts to artificially alter the condition of the ball
  • made misleading public comments regarding the nature, extent, implementation and participants of the plan
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/43565737

Have just read that Warner has thrown his team mates under the bus, claiming the bowlers were in on too. They deny this and have requested management remove him from the team hotel. Reports say that his team mates have said that they will never take to the field with him again. Interesting!

None of them will serve bans for the same reason lehmann is still coach lawyers already on the case.
i guess there argument will be no other cricketer has ever been banned for ball tampering after already being punished by the icc.

Back