• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Centre Forward thread

No it isn't. Liverpool, utd, arsenal, madrid, barca, juventus... all self financing.

I hate the parismonious way we're run, but to be fair, Madrid and Barca are far, far, far from self-financing. Madrid has the city government in their pocket, which is why they could reclassify the old training ground they had and sell it off for an utterly ludicrously inflated 290m pounds in 1998, which instantly wiped out their 177m pound debt at the time. They were investigated by the EU for that deal being basically one big state subsidy to Real Madrid.

Barca...well, you've seen how they've been run. They can basically take out loan upon loan forever because of their name and history, although at the moment, they seem to be flailing a bit to get La Liga to bend the rules for them.

The biggest clubs in Spain have political influence that basically makes them too big to fail. Barca, Madrid and Atleti.

I hate the parismonious way we're run, but to be fair, Madrid and Barca are far, far, far from self-financing. Madrid has the city government in their pocket, which is why they could reclassify the old training ground they had and sell it off for an utterly ludicrously inflated 290m pounds in 1998, which instantly wiped out their 177m pound debt at the time. They were investigated by the EU for that deal being basically one big state subsidy to Real Madrid.

Barca...well, you've seen how they've been run. They can basically take out loan upon loan forever because of their name and history, although at the moment, they seem to be flailing a bit to get La Liga to bend the rules for them.

The biggest clubs in Spain have political influence that basically makes them too big to fail. Barca, Madrid and Atleti.

Since 1998 (24 years ago). They are self financed, the eu investigation made sure of that.

Barca are fine financially, la liga just happens to be the only league in europe that doesn't take covid into account in regards to their spending rules. Yes they over spent on players and wages, now they're rectifying that.

So you would have sold kane for £100m this summer?
Honestly yes. I would have and I would reinvested the money. But in my model we would already had a striker on the books who could possibly replace Kane. We would have had an opportunity to see if that player was up to it and if they weren't we sell and try another option.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

So you would have sold kane for £100m this summer?

Yep

Said it a few times, would have taken a little less if we could have got Delap or Palmer in the deal. 80m and Delap and Palmer or 100m and put that towards Vlahovic and Isak.

We hold on to players to long. I think it is small time trying to look big time. Kane is an excellent player who is unlikely to ever reach last season's heights with us again. Due in part to him not wanting to be here, age/fitness.

We are all sad we never won anything but it is long past time for a painful rebuild.

Honestly yes. I would have and I would reinvested the money. But in my model we would already had a striker on the books who could possibly replace Kane. We would have had an opportunity to see if that player was up to it and if they weren't we sell and try another option.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

That would involve having a plan. Like having a striker who can play more then one position and also have succession planning for different eventualities. But that would involve a plan.

Yep

Said it a few times, would have taken a little less if we could have got Delap or Palmer in the deal. 80m and Delap and Palmer or 100m and put that towards Vlahovic and Isak.

We hold on to players to long. I think it is small time trying to look big time. Kane is an excellent player who is unlikely to ever reach last season's heights with us again. Due in part to him not wanting to be here, age/fitness.

We are all sad we never won anything but it is long past time for a painful rebuild.

Seems your valuation has dropped a bit since the summer.

I would take 130m plus Palmer and Delap, give it 3 years they would be offering 130m.for those two individually. Don't know why more clubs just don't promote their youngsters.

Instead of signing another striker we could give Scarlett game time before a loan next season and then bring Parrott back.

No it isn't. Liverpool, utd, arsenal, madrid, barca, juventus... all self financing.
It's easy to be a big fish in a smaller pond, and even easier to stay as one.

Every kid within 20 miles of Liverpool (and then some) wants a trial at Anfield. Sure, there's plenty of diehard Everton support, but Liverpool have been the bigger fish for a long time. Running their academy must be like shooting stealing fish from a barrel. Every season they have someone decent coming through, and every so often one of them turns out to be world class.

ManU are the same but more so -- it's only recently that promising kids are going to Emirates Marketing Project, who've built one hell of an academy with their dodgy billions. ManU are still so big that, even with years of terrible management, they're still up there.

Similar with Madrid, Barca and Juve, although Madrid's cash flow hasn't exactly been organic.

Arsenal I'll give you -- got to admire what they did under Wenger, even if he did inherit the core of his defence -- but they have similar issues to us at the moment. If you're a promising youngster in London, there are an awful lot of clubs to choose from.

With the financially doped teams in the Premiership, breaking into the top echelon is tough. We almost did it and are now in real danger of dropping back down.

It's easy to be a big fish in a smaller pond, and even easier to stay as one.

Every kid within 20 miles of Liverpool (and then some) wants a trial at Anfield. Sure, there's plenty of diehard Everton support, but Liverpool have been the bigger fish for a long time. Running their academy must be like shooting stealing fish from a barrel. Every season they have someone decent coming through, and every so often one of them turns out to be world class.

ManU are the same but more so -- it's only recently that promising kids are going to Emirates Marketing Project, who've built one hell of an academy with their dodgy billions. ManU are still so big that, even with years of terrible management, they're still up there.

Similar with Madrid, Barca and Juve, although Madrid's cash flow hasn't exactly been organic.

Arsenal I'll give you -- got to admire what they did under Wenger, even if he did inherit the core of his defence -- but they have similar issues to us at the moment. If you're a promising youngster in London, there are an awful lot of clubs to choose from.

With the financially doped teams in the Premiership, breaking into the top echelon is tough. We almost did it and are now in real danger of dropping back down.
City’s academy has been outstanding for years
They have always produced players of a very high quality
Difference now is they don’t leave

City’s academy has been outstanding for years
They have always produced players of a very high quality
Difference now is they don’t get a chance to play

corrected for you.

Didn’t we have FOUR youth graduates on the pitch beating Leicester?

We don’t pay the most for youth players. And that is a good thing. Making youth players millionaires is crazy. They need to be hungry. What we offer is concrete however: a track record of integrating players into the first team. We probably take it for granted but we can point to a pretty high success rate (even for players who us fans don’t think are necessarily first team, they will go on to have careers earning millions a year). KWP, Winks, Skip, Kane, Tanganga…I’m certain City wouldn’t have given these player much of a chance.

Last edited:
corrected for you.

Didn’t we have FOUR youth graduates on the pitch beating Leicester?

We don’t pay the most for youth players. And that is a good thing. Making youth players millionaires is crazy. They need to be hungry. What we offer is concrete however: a track record of integrating players into the first team. We probably take it for granted but we can point to a pretty high success rate (even for players who us fans don’t think are necessarily first team, they will go on to have careers earning millions a year). KWP, Winks, Skip, Kane, Tanganga…I’m certain City wouldn’t have given these player much of a chance.
City have been given their best youth players games
They have also put them out on good loans and sold them on for good money
They use their city group structure so well on that front

City have been given their best youth players games
They have also put them out on good loans and sold them on for good money
They use their city group structure so well on that front

From Bentaleb, Mason, KWP, Winks, Tanganga etc I don’t believe city would have brought any of these players though and made them into multi millionaires; do you?

Even the likes of Kane and ironically Walker I doubt they would have had the patience for. To give them game time.

There is no doubt, if you’re a youth player who wants to get chances, you are far better off at Spurs. You won’t get millions as a youth player but you’ll get opportunities if you’re good enough. See Scarlet this year. The same can’t really be said of City. Do you think we’d have left Sancho in the reserves?

Fans malign our lack of stellar signings but we do actually give more openings to youth players. It is a big part of our identity. If we signed oodles of internationals a la Chelsea, city or united we wouldn’t have space. Spurs fans however don’t seem to appreciate our success here.

Last edited:
From Bentaleb, Mason, KWP, Winks, Tanganga etc I don’t believe city would have brought any of these players though and made them into multi millionaires; do you?

Even the likes of Kane and ironically Walker I doubt they would have had the patience for. To give them game time.

There is no doubt, if you’re a youth player who wants to get chances, you are far better off at Spurs. You won’t get millions as a youth player but you’ll get opportunities if you’re good enough. See Scarlet this year. The same can’t really be said of City. Do you think we’d have left Sancho in the reserves?

Fans malign our lack of stellar signings but we do actually give more openings to youth players. It is a big part of our identity. If we signed oodles of internationals a la Chelsea, city or united we wouldn’t have space. Spurs fans however don’t seem to appreciate our success here.
Your the one here trying to create a link between them and us

I’m not.

I like the fact we bring through players. I also think This player should be given more kudos for the way they have to fight harder IMO to get opportunities

but city’s academy has consistently produced top players since I can remember. They used to play them more regularly as they were a brick club but now their more picky

for Walker I’d argue they have done the same with Zichebko by the way

Back