• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Centre Back thread

Re: Central defenders

Moreno has broken his tib and now Southampton are gonna block Lovren (various media reports this evening) as they play hardball with the rest of the squad now that they have sold three players. What does that leave us with??? Schar was linked as a young prospect, then there's Caulker and Micah Richards from the EPL. Alderweireld? Astore?

Moreno has broken his tib and now Southampton are gonna block Lovren (various media reports this evening) as they play hardball with the rest of the squad now that they have sold three players. What does that leave us with??? Schar was linked as a young prospect, then there's Caulker and Micah Richards from the EPL. Alderweireld? Astore?

Tell Baldini to discover another Marquinhos?

Gabriel Paletta from Parma might be a smart signing?

I think we'll end up with Lovren though. A lot of our fringe players (Siggy, Lennon, Dembele, Kaboul) might interest Soton as they try and rebuild and could work in our favour.

Think politically, it will be very difficult for Southampton to sell Lovren now. He's on a long contract and the only way he leaves is by A) them getting a fee that would make their chairman's eyes water (which we won't be paying) AND B) Lovren making it impossible to keep him by Berbatov antics.

I think we'll move onto other targets. To sign Lovren we needed to get a deal done before Southampton sold Lambert, Lallana and Shaw.

Not only are Southampton completely loaded financially now, but politically they just can't afford to let anyone else decent go.

Think politically, it will be very difficult for Southampton to sell Lovren now. He's on a long contract and the only way he leaves is by A) them getting a fee that would make their chairman's eyes water (which we won't be paying) AND B) Lovren making it impossible to keep him by Berbatov antics.

I think we'll move onto other targets. To sign Lovren we needed to get a deal done before Southampton sold Lambert, Lallana and Shaw.

Not only are Southampton completely loaded financially now, but politically they just can't afford to let anyone else decent go.

I agree that it will make it more difficult.

What might give us a chance is that the Southampton owner seemingly doesn't give a **** about the club and could consider an up front transfer payment that can be used to pay back debt or something as more important to the value of the club than Lovren as an asset should they find a buyer any time soon. Might also think that this whole football game thingy is easy enough and that a replacement surely can be found...

Was also mentioned in an article (or was it ITK?) that Lovren was sold on a long term Southampton project that would see them invest and push on for Europe soon back when Cortese and Porch convinced him to sign. Now both of them are gone and at least short term it's difficult to see Southampton pushing on. We could see Lovren pushing for a move I suppose.

We should have more names on our list though, as I'm sure we have.

We have sold 20 year old Kevin Stewart to Liverpool.

We didn't. We released him and he was subsequently signed on a free transfer by Liverpool. Their academy director is Alex Inglethorpe, ex Spurs, and he has also signed Lawrence Vigoureux who we also released.

I read somewhere that Lovren wants to move to Liverpool and the deal is pretty close with Liverpool offering close enough to what the saints want

They are not loaded as such with the 3 sales so far because they had to find 60 odd mill to cover their debts. Anyone they sell from now on will fund their own buys I guess

I read somewhere that Lovren wants to move to Liverpool and the deal is pretty close with Liverpool offering close enough to what the saints want

They are not loaded as such with the 3 sales so far because they had to find 60 odd mill to cover their debts. Anyone they sell from now on will fund their own buys I guess

why dont Liverpool just buy the whole Southamton squad..LOL

We didn't. We released him and he was subsequently signed on a free transfer by Liverpool. Their academy director is Alex Inglethorpe, ex Spurs, and he has also signed Lawrence Vigoureux who we also released.

Thanks for clearing that up, I heard wrong.

Caulker at 8mill?? we don't lose money and he definitely has improved in 12 months.

I would have thought with the shaw value being so high it could influence caulkers being an English defender and all that

But IMO he hasn't improved at all and still struggles to read the game. The potential is there in a Way similar to Cahill had but he needs to make the right move next to develop and that has to be to a solid mid table club IMO. Someone lies Southampton to replace Lovren would suit him

How about Ron Vlaar

Will be cheap, is experienced. Would for

I'm struggling to see any decent centre halves out there.

Who does Gonzalez from the game last night play for? (costa rica)....looked very good and read situations well (one game i know!)

Returning to the idea of Ron Vlaar...

Only a year left on his contract according to the internet: (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2107493-aston-villa-must-prioritize-keeping-dutch-star-ron-vlaar-at-all-costs) So although he's 29 and PL proven he wouldn't be ridiculously expensive. That article is suggesting a £5m fee, that might be optimistic with his World Cup appearances most likely increasing interest and inflating his potential fee, but we wouldn't have to break the bank for him.

Would most likely jump at the idea of signing for us from Villa as long as bigger clubs don't come in for him.

To some extent a confirmation that he's a good organizer and leader of a defensive unit with him being really the only experienced defender in that Netherlands side that has looked decent at the World Cup. The same looked likely based on Villa's performances with and without him. It's a tricky thing to judge from the outside, perhaps particularly based on TV games, but he seems to have that.

Would be a decent signing but he rejected us once before. Assume that wouldn't be the case now though.

Would also like Martins Indi, he looked good and pretty imposing.

How about Ron Vlaar

Really like him.

Football Focus did a feature on him a little while ago and he's a thoroughly nice chap. Decent defender and a good organiser.

As long as he's alongside a more cultured defender like Vertonghen he could be good for us.

How about Ron Vlaar

He makes Dawson look quick and mobile. No thanks. In Holland they nicknamed him 'Roncrete' (ie concrete) - most people thought it was because he was tough however the real reason was because when he runs he looks like he running through quick-drying concrete

Back