• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Centre Back thread

Re: Central defenders

Micah Richards to replace Kaboul and we're good to go imo.

Do you think Michah Richards will look good next to Dawson and/or Vlad?

To me it's replacing like for like at best. Will still be short on leadership/organizational skills, and unless Vertonghen is still here and in form we'll be in trouble. No good having 4 good enough centre backs if there aren't enough potentially good partnerships amongst them. If, Micah Richards, is in fact good enough.

Do you think Michah Richards will look good next to Dawson and/or Vlad?

To me it's replacing like for like at best. Will still be short on leadership/organizational skills, and unless Vertonghen is still here and in form we'll be in trouble. No good having 4 good enough centre backs if there aren't enough potentially good partnerships amongst them. If, Micah Richards, is in fact good enough.

I think he's good enough and will be a great partner for Vertonghen. You're right though, i haven't thought about whether he would be a good partner for the other two ....i think he'll be good with Dawson and not so good with Vlad.

This is my 4th priority area (after LB, CM and LWF). I actually wouldn't mind if we kept our same 4 for next year (if Kaboul is likely to keep getting fitter/stronger and isn't chronic).

Options wise, I really like Bruno Martins Indi, Holland's new stalwart - he'd be a perfect Kaboul replacement.

The guy we keep being liked to who I'm not keen on is Umtiti - I think he's too much brawn over brain.

What about Mathieu at Valencia. Not seen enough to be honest but just watching real Valencia now

What about Mathieu at Valencia. Not seen enough to be honest but just watching real Valencia now

That's the thing. I've seen him a handful of times and he's looked good but have i seen him enough for me to say we should sign him? no.

Better the devil you know...i've seen Micah Richards and i know what he's capable of. I like that him and Ben Davies have played in this league before and can hopefully slot straight in. We can go foreign with the other signings (CM, LWF whatever) but i know Ben Davies can perform, i know Micah Richards can perform.

Veltman if FDB comes

Such a shame we couldnt steal in and nick Vidic when it was news he was leaving United. I assume Lescott is a no-go so my choice, if possible, would be Ashley Williams, although if goes anywhere it would probably be Arsenal

My only thing about Richards is that he seems injury prone? Unless I'm imagining that.

I'm just looking at potential World Cup squads, what about Mangala at Porto? Again I haven't seen him at all. I'm suggesting, just because there's not too many I fancy in the PL right now that are gettable and dependable.

Lescott, I'd be interested in. Richards yea. Jagielka? Would he come?

Veltman if FDB comes

Such a shame we couldnt steal in and nick Vidic when it was news he was leaving United. I assume Lescott is a no-go so my choice, if possible, would be Ashley Williams, although if goes anywhere it would probably be Arsenal

Yep, Vidic would have been ideal

Do we need someone who can organise? Are we still happy with Daws? Or writing him off?

Do we need someone who can organise? Are we still happy with Daws? Or writing him off?

For me you need:

2 cultured CBs (1st Verts, 2nd Chirches) +
2 powerful CBs (1st Kaboul, 2nd Dawson)

I'm very happy with Dawson as 2nd choice power CB. He's experienced, a great influence at the club and we know he can do a job in an organised defence alongside the right partner (i.e. anyone but Kaboul).

For me it's Kaboul who needs replacing the summer (unless he miraculously recovers).

I guess a lot will depend on what style of play the new coach wants, if we play a high line then no dawson is not fine. If we play normally then yeah he is fine.

Dawson did alright in the high line until Verts got moved to LB.

Dawson showed under AVB that he's actually pretty adaptable given the right support.

This is my 4th priority area (after LB, CM and LWF). I actually wouldn't mind if we kept our same 4 for next year (if Kaboul is likely to keep getting fitter/stronger and isn't chronic).

Options wise, I really like Bruno Martins Indi, Holland's new stalwart - he'd be a perfect Kaboul replacement.

The guy we keep being liked to who I'm not keen on is Umtiti - I think he's too much brawn over brain.

Is this Bruno Martins Indi good then?

Garay, ideally, not sure how possible that is though.

Will despair if Dawson's still first choice next season.

Back