• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Centre Back thread

Re: Central defenders

Why are we signing a left sided CB?

Well look at what we have:

right Sided: Dawson, Dier, Kaboul

left Sided: Vertonghen, Chiriches, Fryers

I would say that we need a left sided more. Chiriches is yet to prove himself. Fryers is average to poor. And Verts is recovering from injury and could be off at any point in the future.

We'll either manage to push Dawson out or he'll see out his contract. Doesn't matter, he's last in line for the team anyway.

Can definitely see us trying to upgrade on Chiriches to complement Vertonghen, Dier, Kaboul.

Why are we signing a left sided CB?

You don't have to have a left footer playing in the left centreback position and a right footer playing in the right centreback position, just as you don't have to have a left footed and right footed central midfielders.

If we fielded two right-footed centre-backs, what would be the issue?

Vert and Fazio could well be a very solid partnership if allowed to blossom together. Full backs and Lloris would be important though as full backs would have to provide pace and Lloris would help if balls get through.

Spoke to a few on twitter who say Musacchio is maginally better but Fazio is a phenomenal steal at just £10m. Supposedly Sevilla's best player after Rakitic last season.

Spoke to a few on twitter who say Musacchio is maginally better but Fazio is a phenomenal steal at just £10m. Supposedly Sevilla's best player after Rakitic last season.

Musacchio is younger which attracted me. It's frustrating we can't get poch's first choice but an argentine that poch will be aware of, and a player who lifted the Europe league last year, I'd be happy.

By the way, is it true that schar has one year left on his contract? If so, surprised we haven't been in for him.

You don't have to have a left footer playing in the left centreback position and a right footer playing in the right centreback position, just as you don't have to have a left footed and right footed central midfielders.

If we fielded two right-footed centre-backs, what would be the issue?

yes if both are used to regularly playing on the right.

Would be nice to get both. Ship out all of Dawson, Kaboul and Chiriches.

Fazio would be great against teams like the Spammers as he dominates in the air, but one thing that comes to mind in the games I've seen him is he doesn't look that mobile and struggles against pacey strikers.

Fazio would be great against teams like the Spammers as he dominates in the air, but one thing that comes to mind in the games I've seen him is he doesn't look that mobile and struggles against pacey strikers.

Looking forward to his debut versus Liverpool then!

If he's smart he'll be alright, as much as people take the **** out of Mertesacker it's very rare to see him ever get done by pace as he always positions himself well.

Back