• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The case for the defence

What did you make of that dreadful backpass to Lloris that nearly resulted in an OG?

Or his show-stopping performance against Liverpool?

Or the numerous pelanties he’s given away and mistakes he’s made this season?
That back pass wasn’t the issue for me
It was that he let the ball bounce behind him again!!!!!!
It’s how Southampton scored earlier in the season and he does it a lot
You head the ball first time man :mad::mad:

What did you make of that dreadful backpass to Lloris that nearly resulted in an OG?

Or his show-stopping performance against Liverpool?

Or the numerous pelanties he’s given away and mistakes he’s made this season?

Really got under that one didn’t he. I was equally annoyed about comments saying Hugo dealt with it well, he knocked it straight down to a Chelsea player.

He didn’t stand out against your lot (;)) to be fair, but that was because everyone was crap.

I think he’s been penalised for more penalties by mistake than were correct.

He’s far from perfect, and he’s having a shocker of a season, but I still think he is the best CB we have when all factors are considered.

Really got under that one didn’t he. I was equally annoyed about comments saying Hugo dealt with it well, he knocked it straight down to a Chelsea player.

He didn’t stand out against your lot (;)) to be fair, but that was because everyone was crap.

I think he’s been penalised for more pelanties by mistake than were correct.

He’s far from perfect, and he’s having a shocker of a season, but I still think he is the best CB we have when all factors are considered.

It was one of the worst back passes I have ever seen. He loves a mistake/stray pass.

For me it has to be Toby + 1 other excluding Sanchez and Dier who I’ve seen enough of to know are never gonna be good enough. Jury is out on Tanganga and the Joe Rodon experience. Toby may be old and slow but he hasn’t made anywhere near as many mistakes as Dier has. But he’s Jose boy so I guess we’re stuck with him until he leaves.

This is the one area where Mourinho gives instruction. His team train on their defensive shape etc whereas the attacking play off the cuff.

So any problems with the defence are on him.

Remember what he said before Marine.
"I told my players that when we lose matches in the Premier League, it’s my fault, but if we lose this match today, it’s not my fault, it’s their fault"

This is the one area where Mourinho gives instruction. His team train on their defensive shape etc whereas the attacking play off the cuff.

So any problems with the defence are on him.

Remember what he said before Marine.
"I told my players that when we lose matches in the Premier League, it’s my fault, but if we lose this match today, it’s not my fault, it’s their fault"

So nothing to do with Ledley then?

If that’s the case what’s he doing here?

Ive no problem with Ledley and liked him as a player but I thought he was brought in to coach our defence?

Ive no problem with Ledley and liked him as a player but I thought he was brought in to coach our defence?

My understanding is that he relays Jose's instructions and over sees how they are carried out in training.

Honestly it’s jut kinda odd
And still falls back to me to fans still over rating players so blaming everyone else

Nah Ledley was just a friendly face as a channel from Mourinho.

The players are what they are. The vast majority are going nowhere fast.
So 'the manager' has to use them.

I really don’t get Ledley being brought into the defensive problems now
I just think it’s that the players we have playing the defensive roles just aren’t very good

I don't get it. Sanchez was good initially when played next two premium CBs in form of prime Toby or Jan. He has since shown that he is not up to the standard required, he has had spells of decent play but he will make a mistake per game and his confidence just falls off a cliff at that point.

At no point has Dier played a consistent spell of games at CB and looked the real deal. There is 0 evidence that suggests he's good enough and a ton of evidence that shows he's not.

Why are fighting so hard to defend them, they just aren't good enough. You can coach then shape and automate their actions to an extent but at the end of the day they have to make the correct decisions when tings heat up and they rarely do.

Ledley could be the worst defensive coach the football world has ever seen, but he's not the one telling Sanchez to fall over after chasing a long ball back or Dier to start capoeira lessons in the penalty box. [emoji30]

They are the B team defenders that have somehow now become the A team.

It was one of the worst back passes I have ever seen. He loves a mistake/stray pass.

For me it has to be Toby + 1 other excluding Sanchez and Dier who I’ve seen enough of to know are never gonna be good enough. Jury is out on Tanganga and the Joe Rodon experience. Toby may be old and slow but he hasn’t made anywhere near as many mistakes as Dier has. But he’s Jose boy so I guess we’re stuck with him until he leaves.

The workable option is Toby +Rodon as it allows Toby to play right (he doesn't like left)

The issue (according to Ally Gold) is Toby since his last injury struggles after two games in a row in short succession (red zone measurements) so Jose and Sport Science folks are rotating him. So at best, you would likely still end up with 3 partnerships

- Best PL -> Toby +Rodon
- Rotated PL -> Tanganga +Rodon
- Europa (Rodon not registered) -> Tanganga +Dier?

I don't get it. Sanchez was good initially when played next two premium CBs in form of prime Toby or Jan. He has since shown that he is not up to the standard required, he has had spells of decent play but he will make a mistake per game and his confidence just falls off a cliff at that point.

At no point has Dier played a consistent spell of games at CB and looked the real deal. There is 0 evidence that suggests he's good enough and a ton of evidence that shows he's not.

Why are fighting so hard to defend them, they just aren't good enough. You can coach then shape and automate their actions to an extent but at the end of the day they have to make the correct decisions when tings heat up and they rarely do.

Ledley could be the worst defensive coach the football world has ever seen, but he's not the one telling Sanchez to fall over after chasing a long ball back or Dier to start capoeira lessons in the pelanty box. [emoji30]

They are the B team defenders that have somehow now become the A team.

It's not coaching, we have 3 CBs that need a leader next to them
- Sanchez played well next to prime Jan
- Many players looked good playing with King
- Lovren looked good playing with VVD

1 top quality CB could help, problem is we aren't going to have that option this season

1 top quality CB could help, problem is we aren't going to have that option this season

This. Mourinho has asked for a dominant CB in two windows now. Blame the recruitment team.

He wasn't brought in to coach our defence. The other coaches have certain areas, Ledley doesn't.
Mourinho has said this. He wants Ledley to learn about the different areas and then he will assign one to him.
I'm not saying Ledley is a top coach (I don't think he ever will be but hope he proves me wrong) but the defensive
issues aren't on him.

A top quality CB organises the defense and takes a lot of the thinking and responsibility off the other defenders.
Let them concentrate on what they're being told to do by the quality CB. That alone would make a big
difference to our defence.

Back