• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The case for the defence

Play Toby and Rodon for the rest of the season. Keep Dier away from our first eleven. Sign a ready made replacement for Toby in the summer. Sanchez should have left already it's clear Jose doesn't trust him.

they make henderson a genius...but it's a simple through ball that our CBs didn't read and could not defend .View attachment 10802

Sent from my SM-G985F using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

The other thing which that phot shows is Kane just watching Henderson. Henderson has all the time in the world to pick his pass. Granted, Kane had a dodgy ankle at the time

The photo also shows Rodon's body is in an awful position - firstly, he's on his heels, and secondly, despite it being obvious that a through ball (or ball over the top) is coming, he has his back to goal rather than side on making it eaier to turn and sprint. Dier should also be anticipating the pass too

The other thing which that phot shows is Kane just watching Henderson. Henderson has all the time in the world to pick his pass. Granted, Kane had a dodgy ankle at the time

The photo also shows Rodon's body is in an awful position - firstly, he's on his heels, and secondly, despite it being obvious that a through ball (or ball over the top) is coming, he has his back to goal rather than side on making it eaier to turn and sprint. Dier should also be anticipating the pass too

I can kind of understand Rodon being worried about Milner but Dier and Aurier should both be sprinting to close down Mane once this pass is floating towards him, then Hojbjerg might’ve tracked Firminho’s run and we go in 0-0 at half time instead of suffering yet another injury time sucker punch.

B8904951-BB77-4247-9157-0C5F3617EBC9.jpeg

It was awful wasn't it? 5 mistakes from 5 players, the weakest bumbling cross imaginable, and the easiest tap in imaginable.

A 9 year old could cross a more wicked ball and a 6 year old could tap that in.

Aurier. Rodon. Dier. Hugo. Hoj/Davies.
Mistake. Mistake. Mistake. Mistake. Mistake.

I've kept off this board pretty much for a couple of days because I didn't want to add to the ranting, but Jesus Christ that was embarrassing defending.

We had about 5 seconds to hold on before the break!

And then right after the break we folded like wet cardboard.

I don't get why Rodon has to be considered 'one for the future'. He is 23 years old and not coming in from a foreign league. We need to see whether he will sink or swim.

I agree and i would leave him in for the next few games at least, Toby has gone he will still play the odd good game but his legs can no longer do what his mind is telling them. Sanchez looks like he is never going to make it and Dier is not thought to be good enough for s ome fans. So lets give Rodon a run and hope he takes it.

It was awful wasn't it? 5 mistakes from 5 players, the weakest bumbling cross imaginable, and the easiest tap in imaginable.

A 9 year old could cross a more wicked ball and a 6 year old could tap that in.

Aurier. Rodon. Dier. Hugo. Hoj/Davies.
Mistake. Mistake. Mistake. Mistake. Mistake.

I've kept off this board pretty much for a couple of days because I didn't want to add to the ranting, but Jesus Christ that was embarrassing defending.

We had about 5 seconds to hold on before the break!

And then right after the break we folded like wet cardboard.

I thought Mourinho was the master of drilling a defence?

I thought Mourinho was the master of drilling a defence?
I guess you just can’t polish some turds... might’ve been different with a younger Alderweireld + Vertonghen partnership but Sanchez and Dier have yet to show that they can fill those big boots.

Aurier had been one of our better defenders this season but having a bad run of form lately and might be frozen out following the half-time fiasco whilst Doherty has been disappointing but perhaps just needs time to settle.

Regulion looks a great prospect as LWB but we have nobody else in squad who can really play that position; hopefully have Sessegnon will be back with a vengeance following his loan.

Last edited:
Dier is making basic errors week in and out. As you say 27 is not young should be at your prime. CBs get better with age. It’s a position that you mature into. It’s all about playing with your head mostly. Yes you need physical attributes but ultimately it’s between the ears that helps the most. Sadly he looks lacking as proven by the mistakes.
Its not really fair to apply that theory to Dier, how many games at CB has he played before Jose arrived?

I agree with your assessment of his attributes though. When he did play the odd game at CH ages ago for Poch I thought he lacked concentration and awareness of what was going on around him, and I don't think that's really changed. He's good at letting teammates know what's going on around them though :)

Can we recall Foyth?

:eek:

Maybe Tottenham legend Bongani "The mighty bong" Khumalo could come back home while we're at it, only 34 years of age so in his prime.

Enjoyed the posts stating how ridiculous it was that we couldn't shift Sanchez over the summer whilst also slating him as a defender, and inexplicably not linking to the two points.

I'm thinking the partnership of TA and Rodon (as long as it's not a scary Wycombe Wanderer type forward for Toby) is the way to go, Dier we see making similar mistakes again and again and he just doesn't learn...

Last edited:
Can we recall Foyth?

:eek:

Maybe Tottenham legend Bongani "The mighty bong Khumalo could come back home while we're at it, only 34 years of age so in his prime.

Enjoyed the posts stating how ridiculous it was that we couldn't shift Sanchez over the summer whilst also slating him as a defender, and inexplicably not linking to the two points. I'm thinking the partnership of TA and Rodon (as long as it's not a scary Wycombe Wanderer type forward for Toby) is the way to go, Dier we see making similar mistakes again and again and he just doesn't learn...
You would argue that Toby and Rodon has the right blend of experience and physical character

It shouldn't be too hard to improve on them if they are as bad as is made out, 2nd best defensive record in the league but a back four that aren't fit for the top half

Its not really fair to apply that theory to Dier, how many games at CB has he played before Jose arrived?

I agree with your assessment of his attributes though. When he did play the odd game at CH ages ago for Poch I thought he lacked concentration and awareness of what was going on around him, and I don't think that's really changed. He's good at letting teammates know what's going on around them though :)

Thats the problem he’s never been an ever present at CB and now we are relying on him to play there week in and out and he’s got so many flaws to his game.

I don't know how anyone can watch that and see anything other than a foul on Dier.

Werner is the other side of Dier from the ball, Dier swings his leg to clear the ball and Werner stamps on him.

I don't know how anyone can watch that and see anything other than a foul on Dier.

Werner is the other side of Dier from the ball, Dier swings his leg to clear the ball and Werner stamps on him.

What did you make of that dreadful backpass to Lloris that nearly resulted in an OG?

Or his show-stopping performance against Liverpool?

Or the numerous penalties he’s given away and mistakes he’s made this season?

Back