• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The case for the defence

To the point of this thread, our defense is a weak point

- You could chose to try to focus on it and fudge up the midfield to provide extra cover and keep the FBs back and probably still conceded a stupid goal to individual errors.

or

- You can figure out how to get the most out of Kane, Son, Dele, Lucas, Lamela as front line and ensure against dross like Everton we score three even if we concede two. fudge, worse case is it at least entertains the neutrals.

Are we seeing the worst defence in recent history? Toby can be forgiven for his expected natural decline, but Sanchez is getting worse and Dier has proven he still has a lot to learn.
I am starting to doubt Ledleys capabilities as a coach too! 20210115_162549.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Are we seeing the worst defence in recent history? Toby can be forgiven for his expected natural decline, but Sanchez is getting worse and Dier has proven he still has a lot to learn.
I am starting to doubt Ledleys capabilities as a coach too! View attachment 10612

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
We do currently have the joint second best defensive record in the league

We do currently have the joint second best defensive record in the league
We cram our box with players and retreat into a low block pretty much as soon as the first offensive press has been broken. If we didn't get good defensive numbers playing this way then something very wrong would be occuring.

We need a CB an experienced one at that. You can’t play Dier next to Sanchez or Rodon.

If we are going to give Rodon ago he should play alongside Toby.

In reality we needed a CB in the summer. This was a key area to sign a decent player. Rodon is one for the future . We failed we chased the lad from Inter and that seemed our only option. We could see last season that Toby’s legs had gone. Sanchez has always been a liability and Dier has never been an ever present in the heart of the defence.

We got a lot of holes in the squad in my opinion and CB is the biggest. We got caught up in Bale loan deal when in reality he was not what we needed. Not even close. Need another Midfielder that can pass the ball also.

We need a CB an experienced one at that. You can’t play Dier next to Sanchez or Rodon.

In reality we needed a CB in the summer. This was a key area to sign a decent player. Rodon is one for the future . We failed we chased the lad from Inter and that seemed our only option. We could see last season that Toby’s legs had gone. Sanchez has always been a liability and Dier has never been an ever present in the heart of the defence.

We got a lot of holes in the squad in my opinion and CB is the biggest. We got caught up in Bale loan deal when in reality he was not what we needed. Not even close. Need another Midfielder that can pass the ball also.
We were also linked with Ruben Dias who appears to have helped €iteh finally become defensively sound

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...uben-dias-targets-jose-mourinho-a4555091.html

Do have to wonder why we didn’t shift Sanchez at the very least last summer, as whilst he looked a decent prospect in his first season with us he’s regressed ever since and now just a waste of a non-homegrown squad place; Rodon could’ve got some valuable experience playing Europa group stage games otherwise and be up to speed by now.

Despite being 2 years younger than Vertonghen it looks like Alderweireld’s legs have gone too and surely his last season with us.

Dier should be in the prime of his career but still relatively inexperienced as a CB and regularly making errors that a 27 year old should be far beyond.

Tanganga looks a good prospect but sadly injury prone.

Last edited:
We were also linked with Ruben Dias who appears to have helped €iteh finally become defensively sound

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...uben-dias-targets-jose-mourinho-a4555091.html

Do have to wonder why we didn’t shift Sanchez at the very least last summer, as whilst he looked a decent prospect in his first season with us he’s regressed ever since and now just a waste of a non-homegrown squad place; Rodon could’ve got some valuable experience playing Europa group stage games otherwise and be up to speed by now.

Despite being 2 years younger than Vertonghen it looks like Alderweireld’s legs have gone too and surely his last season with us.

Dier should be in the prime of his career but still relatively inexperienced as a CB and regularly making errors that a 27 year old should be far beyond.

Tanganga looks a good prospect but sadly injury prone.

Dias looks a decent player.

Dier is making basic errors week in and out. As you say 27 is not young should be at your prime. CBs get better with age. It’s a position that you mature into. It’s all about playing with your head mostly. Yes you need physical attributes but ultimately it’s between the ears that helps the most. Sadly he looks lacking as proven by the mistakes.

Rodon will learn from last night and he looks a decent player . Time will tell. He’s young so gets a pass.

Dias looks a decent player.

Dier is making basic errors week in and out. As you say 27 is not young should be at your prime. CBs get better with age. It’s a position that you mature into. It’s all about playing with your head mostly. Yes you need physical attributes but ultimately it’s between the ears that helps the most. Sadly he looks lacking as proven by the mistakes.

Rodon will learn from last night and he looks a decent player . Time will tell. He’s young so gets a pass.
Dias this season has been the best CB in the league
By some way
I think our issue is still shifting the brick to make room

I don't get why Rodon has to be considered 'one for the future'. He is 23 years old and not coming in from a foreign league. We need to see whether he will sink or swim.

I don't get why Rodon has to be considered 'one for the future'. He is 23 years old and not coming in from a foreign league. We need to see whether he will sink or swim.
Because in my opinion as said in my post CBs get better with age. 26/30 are prime years for a CB maybe a little give or take.

Back