• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The case for the defence

For me when we play teams that sit deep we need to go 3 up top and 3 in midfield with one of the 3 in midfield being a proper DM to ptotect the back when the full backs go forward and the other two being creative outlets getting the ball as quickly through the lines as possible to the front 3 similar to Pool.
With today's personnel in the squad I would have gone with
-------------------------Lloris---------------------
KWP-Alderweireld-Vertonghen-Rose
------------Eriksen---Dier---Lamela---------
------------Moura----Kane--------Son

With 3 up top we should have pressed their defence into submission and overpowered them with the full backs pushing up and Dier on the cover. Instead of that we just plodded through the game and passed sideways in front of their defensive lines apart from on two ocassions when we could have scored. Son and Moura can drift wide to open the middle up for Eriksen and Lamela to get into shooting positions. I can't see what we're trying to do at the moment, whatever it is it aint working.

Look at the goals we’ve conceded at home this season though, pub players scoring from long balls, it should be a piece of tinkle for our defenders to handle those.
I do agree though the whole team needs to be far more aggressive and defend from the front as soon as we lose the ball. We also need to move the ball more quickly and hold on to it from a quick pass. The first three games have been so poor collectively. Cannot think of one stand out performer.

Just watched the game again. Schoolboy defending by the team for their goal illustrating the point of defending as a team. Lack of pressure from midfield to stop the cross, huge gap between Rose and Sanchez giving Joelinton all the time in the world when Sanchez misses the header. Sissoko does not pressure the crosser enough but where the hell are the rest of the midfield? Where’s winks? Lamela? Or Son? Moura was casually jogging back into position. We were never given that sort of time in Saudi Sportswashing Machine’s area. Poch needs to sort this out or Arsenal will destroy us next week.

Just watched the game again. Schoolboy defending by the team for their goal illustrating the point of defending as a team. Lack of pressure from midfield to stop the cross, huge gap between Rose and Sanchez giving Joelinton all the time in the world when Sanchez misses the header. Sissoko does not pressure the crosser enough but where the hell are the rest of the midfield? Where’s winks? Lamela? Or Son? Moura was casually jogging back into position. We were never given that sort of time in Saudi Sportswashing Machine’s area. Poch needs to sort this out or Arsenal will destroy us next week.

My worry is that they do it next week because it is a big match, but don't turn up for the so called little teams.

It is not like 15 years ago when the big teams rolled over the little teams. If you don't work hard enough you will lose.

And it's not as if it's a one-off. Exactly the repeat of the Villa goal with exactly the same two culprits. As @parklane1 says, we need those two out and jan and Davies back in. I would also consider moving Sissokoo to right back and bring in Dier to anchor the midfield with N'Dombele. But Poch will not do it...

The 3-4 year ago Walker Toby Verts Rose defence paired with the new signings and existing midfield and attacking options I believe would make us challengers this season.

But the reality is the next two seasons will be a rebuilding of the defence. Walker's gone, Toby, Rose and maybe Jan all likely to leave.

Poch had probably settled on Toby and Rose going and had initiated future planning with Sanchez and Foyth. The problem is their progress doesn't instill me with any confidence that we'll end up with an, as good as or better defence. And defence, if we are to push City and Liverpool, is everything.

It's probably a good job that Rose and Toby have stuck around.

With the budget Poch had in the summer he thought RB wasn't as much as a priority as two CM. Fair enough, he's developed players before to fill positions...but he has to hope it works as next season we have a problem when/if Toby, Verts and Rose leave. This is compounded by the (I would say) unpredicted loss of £85m in transfer income from the non-sales of Toby and Eriksen (nice if he stays but at £ cost). With our financial setup that will hinder us at a vital time.

It's clutching but hopefully we can pull a ledley/Campbell out of the academy.

Hopefully the DCM protection will sort itself out in a couple of months and that will help BUT we still seem miles away from the sheer commanding nature and power of that defence I mentioned at the start.

Pleased to see that the CBs looked a tad more compact with the trusted Dutch duo back yesterday but once again missing the likes of a Wanyama / Dembele / Dier to shield the back line, as Sideshow Jnr managed to surge past Kane & Eriksen then had plenty of time and space to chip the ball into box.

638437C3-A6FA-4496-908A-172FC7465EB0.jpeg CF25F8CD-4F48-4502-94DE-98A3DCA0B76E.jpeg

Pleased to see that the CBs looked a tad more compact with the trusted Dutch duo back yesterday but once again missing the likes of a Wanyama / Dembele / Dier to shield the back line, as Sideshow Jnr managed to surge past Kane & Eriksen then had plenty of time and space to chip the ball into box.

View attachment 7168 View attachment 7169
Think Guendouzi has great potential, hes already looking comfortable in the prem and has only just turned 20. Good all round game. He's their best midfielder.

Problem with the Saudi Sportswashing Machine goal is the whole back 4 is marking space. All the Geordies have is the man with the ball and a stationery striker (not picked up) ..he didn't do a clever move or run...just stood in space somehow unnoticed. All ball watching??

And you have to say that Aubemayangs goal yesterday was a great pass and a great run
The guys an utter knob but that was a good goal

Back