• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

* The 'Buying a Tablet or Netbook' Thread *

africanspurs

Justin Edinburgh
Hi guys, back with some requests for decent , affordable tablets (no not drugs)...

basically getting a gift for the girlfriend..here is some background

Her work colleague showed off her Kindle touch and what it does, now even though she isnt a reader (i have tried for ages to get her to read books etc o no avail) she said she wanted the Kindle touch because of all the "cool" stuff it does...(cause her friend probably made it sound great)

i was happy enough with this as it is within my price range but then my friend is offering me his two month old blackberry playbook for ?90 pounds and so i try to save on the girlfriends gift and ask her to tell me what she thinks of the playbook..she's only gone and said it looks alright but has asked her techy brother his opinion and he's gone on to tell her that there are better tablets out there

so now i must find a decent tablet

THE REQUEST

can you guys reccomend an affordable tablet that can do what the kindle touch or Kobo does for reading
Has decent internet connectivity
Able to play / stream Tv shows from various sites (cause she watches alot of TV series online
Able to download stuff
aaaaaanddd..........possibly accept an external harddrive being connected to it? or a USB?

as you can tell i'm pretty brick when it comes to technology..please forgive the silly questions.

need help with this

hahahha snap.

I bought my girl a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 around a month back. Sadly she's pretty clued up when it comes to technology so i couldn't simply trick her and buy a piece of brick tablet that could do the basics and look good. Anyway the Samsung 10.1 is pretty damn amazing and there's nothing that comes close to it apart from maybe the sony and Asus tablets. You can't go wrong with 1 of those 3 mate.

As south stand says best to wait for Googles new entry as it sounds like they'll be subsidising them, or the kindle fire 2 should be released in the UK in a few months.

My touchpad is basically just a tv guide, useful but I'd never spend 400 quid on one.

https://play.google.com/store?hl=en&tab=w8

159 pounds

KwwyNH2A510VYFQ9UqSH8rl8gc21H4DbjIUEn1kOmmRFtVbhJoDTQiQKHalBrc2LCMU=w1025

I'd wait for the Microsoft Surface, looks pretty cool and slightly different from the usual fare.

Other than that you can buy an iPad 2 for 330 I think as long as she isnt the sort of person that will want the latest stuff (iPad 3).

Don't know anything about Android tablets but if I'm getting a computer style device such as a tablet I'd want something from the big 2 myself.

If you want something that does what the Kindle does, get a kindle - your budget will allow for a kindle and a tablet.

Because the Kindle is designed purely for reading books, it's by far the best for doing that - nothing else comes close.

320 or less

By Christ what is wrong with you man?! You'll happily spend £320 on a bauble for the missus but rape yourself blind on a cheap TV? You need learning friend, and quick sharp!

Anyway, you can get quite a few different tabs for that money. Galaxy Tab 2 10.1" 16GB, though it has it's own proprietary USB connection, but PC World are offering it for £299.99:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tablets/889_7505_70535_xx_xx/2_12/relevance-desc/xx-criteria.html

Word of caution, I think you would have to check whether the OS would actually allow you to connect an external hard drive or not and would a tablet power an external HDD? But the Galaxy tab will do everything else you want and then some. Either that or wait to see the Nexus 7 from Google.

Back