• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of the PL era - left back

Who is the best left back to play for Spurs in the Premier League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

milo

Jack L. Jones
A quick recap of what we are doing

Right. It's time to stop moping and choose the best Spurs team of the Premier League era.

We'll have a different thread for each position over the coming weeks. The thread will be open for a while for nominations and the most frequently mentioned players will be going into a poll on the same thread.

The only criteria to be nominated is that the player must have played for Spurs in the Premier League.

The team will line up 4-2-3-1.

Reminiscing about favourite players past and present is encouraged.

Anyone who comes into the thread, doesn't read what we're doing and posts their full best team of all time, gets laughed at.

The fifth position up - left back.

Have a chat and come up with but nominations, make a case for who you think is best. A poll will be added when it looks like we have a few players to pick between.

Ziege
BAE
Rose

probably in that order. Honourable mention for Edinburgh.

I suspect Rose will top it in 1-2 years' time, but not yet.

I did like Ziege during his time here but he was hampered by injury's and I do not think we saw the best of him, however saying that he was still a very good player.

I did like Ziege during his time here but he was hampered by injury's and I do not think we saw the best of him, however saying that he was still a very good player.

55 apps over 3 seasons wasn't too bad. His first c.18 months were exceptional

The most unpredictable footballer i've ever seen in his position. A man who could bring high comedy as well as mass fear in one foul swoop. A man whose legs seemed completely independent of his body.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you…Timothy Atouba

Loved Ziege's long-range efforts on goal but overall he was a bit too inconsistent for me, especially following spells of injury.

BAE took a while to get going but was mostly outstanding under Harry. Such that it was his excellence at LB that on returning from a spell out through injury obliged Harry to play Bale further forward as an attacking LM, the move that helped launch the Welshman into the stratosphere.

But I'll probably plump for Rose because though he still needs to improve on his crossing I just love his all-round dynamic persona, in particular the fearless way he imposes himself on his opponent.

Benni for me. For 2 seasons or so he was the best left back in the Premier League. Zeige was too inconsistent for me, while I feel it is a bit too early to be voting Rose as the best, although if we were taking this vote in 2 years time |I firmly believe he will be then. YP Lee should also be included in the list for consideration.

Benni for me. For 2 seasons or so he was the best left back in the Premier League. Zeige was too inconsistent for me, while I feel it is a bit too early to be voting Rose as the best, although if we were taking this vote in 2 years time |I firmly believe he will be then. YP Lee should also be included in the list for consideration.
Good shout.

This is a tough one for me. Ziege, BAE and Rose are/were all good. I know BAE was good for 2 seasons, but Rose has been as well and really stepped it up in the past year. Ziege had that magical left foot and so was so dangerous with set pieces. Hmmm at this present moment in time Ziege is just shading it purely because of goals, set piece delivery and crosses.

Gilberto Silva or Justin Edinburgh for me.

Shame there arent stats around from Edinburghs days, i would love to know how many penalties he conceded for us, he just love to make a challenge in the box.

I thought Clive Wilson was pretty good at LB although he came to us too late in his career (33 iirc). He displaced Edinburgh for about 18 months and despite having very little pace left he could still position himself effectively against pacey wingers. He was a much calmer, steadying influence on the back 4 than Edinburgh who was a disaster waiting to happen everytime he played from about '94 onwards imo.

Ben Thatcher, Paul Konchesky, Erik Edman, Reto Ziegler, Pat van den Hauwe, Gilberto Silva. Happy days.

Wilson was excellent when we had him as well. Shame it was the end of his career but he was very good.

Ziege for me, think he'd fit in very nicely with the current set up of attacking full backs.

Not our strongest position over the past 25 years.

I still have nightmares about him and Fenwick being our two FB's.

Edinburgh and Austin were definitely an upgrade at the time. Gudni Bergsson and Mitchell Thomas were decent enough too, but not pals of Venables' like PvdH and Fenwick

Back