• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of the PL era - central midfield

Who are the best two central midfielders to play for Spurs in the Premier League

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sandro was out of this world for a couple of seasons. Easily the best DM we've had in the Premier League era. Carrick was a better passer but in terms of tackling, interceptions etc even Dier could learn from how good Sandro was back then. Let alone the passion the guy showed. Made the step up to Champions League look easy. The game away at AC Milan was his crowning glory.

So Modric wass chosen by all by one voter (40/41). I assume it was Scara going for Timmy.

I missed the vote but had faith it would go like this. Modric is the best player I have ever saw at Spurs. I got Croatia in the sweep at work and got excited I can cheer him on again

Modric, brilliant for us, brilliant for Madrid, best CM by a mile.
Carrick not in same class, good player, but to me didn't kick on in the same way Modric has.

Dembele immensely talented, and capable of seasons like this last one, another season or two like this one, he'd be in with a shout.
Dier to me has already surpassed Scotty/Sandro/Wilson in that pure holding role, will be interesting to see his future.

Modric, brilliant for us, brilliant for Madrid, best CM by a mile.
Carrick not in same class, good player, but to me didn't kick on in the same way Modric has.

Dembele immensely talented, and capable of seasons like this last one, another season or two like this one, he'd be in with a shout.
Dier to me has already surpassed Scotty/Sandro/Wilson in that pure holding role, will be interesting to see his future.

Pretty much agree with all of that. Though only by the ridiculously high bar set by Modric did Carrick not kick on in the same way. He went to United and was a clear first choice for them under Ferguson, winning 5 PL titles and a CL title in the process. Underrated by some for quite a few years of that, but eventually rightly rated as a key player for them. Also underrated by several England managers who frankly should have built the team around him.

Carrick also won those five titles in seven years. One of the seasons they didn't win was when Carrick was inexplicably sidelined by Fergie.

I think our attitude to Carrick changed after he left. We knew he was important but there were always questions about his tackling (his game was more intercepting and forcing players away from danger areas) and lack of goals. Perhaps this was why he was reportedly not offered in new contract and they were looking to replace him with Zokora.

I remember comparing him with other potential holding players in the England warm up games before the 2006 world cup. One thing I noticed was how when the ball was turned over by the defenders, Carrick was always in space to receive the ball, while Hargreaves tended to behind an opponent. That positioning coupled with his quick passing was essential for transition from defence to attack. This served him well at United with Rooney and Ronaldo.

Pretty much agree with all of that. Though only by the ridiculously high bar set by Modric did Carrick not kick on in the same way. He went to United and was a clear first choice for them under Ferguson, winning 5 PL titles and a CL title in the process. Underrated by some for quite a few years of that, but eventually rightly rated as a key player for them. Also underrated by several England managers who frankly should have built the team around him.

Could not agree more

I absolutely loved Carrick, at the time I felt he was our best midfield player since Hoddle. Let me be clear, I am not saying he was as good as Hoddle but for me at that time he was the best since Glenn. I was absolutely gutted when he was sold.

Back