• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of the PL era - central midfield

Who are the best two central midfielders to play for Spurs in the Premier League

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Simon Davies played plenty of games and stood out in a poor side. I'd say he compares favourably with Hudd and Poyet.

Nayim was still around for the first season of the PL.

Come to mention it, didn't Hazard come back as well...

Not thinking of Sean Davis (shudder) are you? He was central whereas Simon Davies was definitely wide right

Sherwood started well with us and got a few England caps off the back of his form, but he faded and was pretty average by the end (as you'd expect of an ageing player). Not sure he's done enough to get on the shortlist?
Indeed.... He was a good player when he joined us under George Graham. He is never going to make the final two anyway, I just don't think I would have Huddlestone on the list ahead of him? I'm not sure I would have Poyet in this list either, surely he would be in an attacking midfield list? If Poyet appears here then surely Eriksen also has to be included?

Indeed.... He was a good player when he joined us under George Graham. He is never going to make the final two anyway, I just don't think I would have Huddlestone on the list ahead of him? I'm not sure I would have Poyet in this list either, surely he would be in an attacking midfield list? If Poyet appears here then surely Eriksen also has to be included?

Why? Eriksen has played as a #10 and wide left and right. Poyet played CM in a 442, occasionally a 352.

Not thinking of Sean Davis (shudder) are you? He was central whereas Simon Davies was definitely wide right

I think there were some games around 2000 or 2001 when Simon Davies was used as CM, with Anderton and Leonhardsen on the flanks. But generally he was a RM

Huddlestone made 209 appearances for us, won the LC and was key to the team that got us to and played in the CL. Sherwood only played 93 and was defining of the darkest period in the club's history (aside from the Terry Neill years)

Davies played wide right didn't he?

Sherwood should probably be on the list ahead of Huddlestone? Also Anderton played centrally for a reasonable portion of his Spurs career... Could Redknapp be in there? Is there also Popescu and Howells (or were they pre PL?)

I was going to question if Anderton should be in there...
He played there from 95/96 onwards...I recall we bought Fox so that he could move central. GG played him wide again a few times and tended to mix/match but he was central again under Hoddle.
Great player...just depends whether you go with him then or his wide-right career from 92-95?

For me he would run Modric/Carrick very close for a place in the team centrally.

I was going to question if Anderton should be in there...
He played there from 95/96 onwards...I recall we bought Fox so that he could move central. GG played him wide again a few times and tended to mix/match but he was central again under Hoddle.
Great player...just depends whether you go with him then or his wide-right career from 92-95?

For me he would run Modric/Carrick very close for a place in the team centrally.

Anderton's going to be a walk-in for RM though

Huddlestone made 209 appearances for us, won the LC and was key to the team that got us to and played in the CL. Sherwood only played 93 and was defining of the darkest period in the club's history (aside from the Terry Neill years)
I think that is rewriting history a little, I don't think it is fair to say that Sherwood was defining of the darkest period in the clubs history.... There were FAR worse players than him in our team back then and there have also been worse since him as well (Paulinho, Capoue, Chiriches and Soldado anyone?) He was a very good player who did well for us initially. The problem was that he was turning 30 as we bought him so we had already missed his peak and only really had a year or two of him somewhere near his peak.

I notice you also quote Huddlestone's total number of games while quoting Sherwood's league games only to help improve your argument.... You'd make the perfect politician GB.

Another not on the list is Allan Neilson, played over 100 games for us and got us the winner in the 1999 League Cup final.

Modric is the clearly stand-out. Of all the others, no-one has really had more than 1 or 2 decent seasons. Some have been at the club for many more years, but only performed to a high standard for much shorter.

I would probably go with Modric and Carrick though

No mention for Pedro Mendes? Who knows where his career would have gone for us if Clattenberg had not missed his injury time goal against United which was a foot over the line

Modric as the above and beyond best midfielder in recent times.

Carrick who even at United was not the same player, remember the runs, Arsenal away when he nearly scored a solo effort, never same I don't believe, good at United but we saw most rounded Carrick at Spurs I think

Modric as the above and beyond best midfielder in recent times.

Carrick who even at United was not the same player, remember the runs, Arsenal away when he nearly scored a solo effort, never same I don't believe, good at United but we saw most rounded Carrick at Spurs I think

That'd be the Smarties and tomato ketchup that Jol allowed

Is there anyone else missing from this short list?

Carrick
Modric
Dier
Sandro
Dembele
Huddlestone
Jenas
Poyet
Parker

I'll give you all until 8:30 to make the case for anyone else to be added to the list and then the poll will go up

Back