• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of the PL era - central midfield

Who are the best two central midfielders to play for Spurs in the Premier League

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Carrick in the Dier role, Modric in the Dembele role. I think those two have been the best players for us since the start of the Premier League.

Based on talent/previous career then one could perhaps have Davids in there instead of Carrick, but he played towards the left side of midfield for us and was probably about 75% of the player he once was by the time he came to us (although still at bloody good player even at 75% of his peak).

Sandro was decent for a while, Parker had an excellent season, Dembele was a revelation this season and also was very good under AVB but Carrick and Modric were a cut above all of them for Spurs IMO.

Is there anyone missing from this short list?

Carrick
Modric
Dier
Sandro
Dembele
Huddlestone
Jenas
Poyet

Parker, wasn't he player of the season whilst with us, or nominated for it? Maybe my memory is not quite correct? But either way, he was very good for us as well and has to be on the shortlist I would think?

Parker, wasn't he player of the season whilst with us, or nominated for it? Maybe my memory is not quite correct? But either way, he was very good for us as well and has to be on the shortlist I would think?

I agree that he should be on the list

Is there anyone else missing from this short list?

Carrick
Modric
Dier
Sandro
Dembele
Huddlestone
Jenas
Poyet
Parker

Simon Davies played plenty of games and stood out in a poor side. I'd say he compares favourably with Hudd and Poyet.

Nayim was still around for the first season of the PL.

Come to mention it, didn't Hazard come back as well...

Modric and Dembele for me. Carrick chickened off to Man Utd too quickly for me. Jenas for the anti-Arsenal moments is a close one for me. Damn that 5-1 victory plus the 1-1 at their ground.

I don't think Davies is out of place on that list.

The other two are eligible but from another time, at their best both were major assets to to the club.
Davies played wide right didn't he?

Sherwood should probably be on the list ahead of Huddlestone? Also Anderton played centrally for a reasonable portion of his Spurs career... Could Redknapp be in there? Is there also Popescu and Howells (or were they pre PL?)

Sherwood should probably be on the list ahead of Huddlestone? Also Anderton played centrally for a reasonable portion of his Spurs career... Could Redknapp be in there? Is there also Popescu and Howells (or were they pre PL?)

Davies played all over the place iirc

Howells was still around although his best days were behind him, popescu was PL but he only played a handful games

Parker had two good autumns, but his legs packed up after Xmas both years.

Sherwood and Redknapp were dreadful players for us. They had decent careers before, but neither showed much ability or endeavour for us.

Sherwood started well with us and got a few England caps off the back of his form, but he faded and was pretty average by the end (as you'd expect of an ageing player). Not sure he's done enough to get on the shortlist?

Sherwood started well with us and got a few England caps off the back of his form, but he faded and was pretty average by the end (as you'd expect of an ageing player). Not sure he's done enough to get on the shortlist?

The way Mark Hughes embarrassed him in the League Cup final should automatically discount him.

He did score 10 goals in a season I believe, which back then in a spurs shirt was impressive for a midfielder.

Back