• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best album of the 90's - Unplugged In New York vs The Colour and the Shape

Which is the better album

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

milo

Jack L. Jones
Fourth up we have Dave Grohl vs Dave Grohl and the winner from this game will face Dave Grohl in the next round :eek:

Nirvana - Unplugged in New York

220px-Nirvana_mtv_unplugged_in_new_york.png

MTV Unplugged in New York is a live album by the American grunge band Nirvana. It features an acoustic performance taped at Sony Music Studios in New York City on November 18, 1993, for the television series MTV Unplugged. The show was directed by Beth McCarthy and first aired on the cable television network MTV on December 16, 1993. As opposed to traditional practice on the television series, the band played a setlist composed of mainly lesser-known material and cover versions of songs by The Vaselines,David Bowie, Lead Belly, and Meat Puppets, whose Cris and Curt Kirkwood joined Nirvana onstage.

MTV Unplugged in New York was the first Nirvana album released following the death of Kurt Cobain. The album debuted at number one on the Billboard 200, and has become the group's most successful posthumous release, having been certified 5x platinum in the United States by 1997.[2] It also won the Grammy Award for Best Alternative Music Album in 1996. The performance was released on DVD in 2007.

Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape

220px-FooFighters-TheColourAndTheShape.jpg

The Colour and the Shape is the second studio album by American rock band Foo Fighters. Produced by Gil Norton, it was released through Capitol Records and the group's own Roswell Records on May 20, 1997. The record is the debut of the Foo Fighters as a group, as the band's previous record, Foo Fighters (1995), was primarily recorded by frontman Dave Grohl and friend Barrett Jones as a demo. After the project ballooned and became an international success, the group convened for pre-production in the fall of 1996 and brought in producer Norton to establish a pop sensibility for the tracks. The band strived to create a full-fledged rock record, although the music press predicted another grunge offshoot.

Primarily inspired by Grohl's divorce from photographer Jennifer Youngblood in 1996, the lyricism on the record is substantially more introspective and the music more developed. The album's track listing was designed to resemble a therapy session, splitting the album between up-tempo tracks and ballads, reflecting conflicting emotions. Early sessions at Washington farm studio Bear Creek were poor and led the band to discard most of the recordings. The band regrouped without drummer William Goldsmith in early 1997 to record a second time at Hollywood's Grandmaster Recordings, with Grohl sitting in on drums instead. Goldsmith was offended and disgruntled that most of his material was re-recorded and left the band shortly thereafter.

Main singles "Monkey Wrench", "Everlong" and "My Hero" peaked within the top ten on United States rock radio, and the album charted at number three in the United Kingdom. Critics found the album a significant American rock release of the era, and it is now viewed as a seminal modern rock album. It was nominated for Grammy Award in 1998 for Best Rock Album. The Colour and the Shape is the Foo Fighters' biggest U.S. seller, having sold over two million copies according to Nielsen SoundScan.[1] The album wasremastered and reissued in 2007 with several bonus tracks, celebrating its tenth anniversary.

Although The Colour and the shape is not one of Foo Fighters best albums imo, they get my vote. In fact in a head-2-head vs Nirvana, I'd vote for anything else. Even Backstreet boys or NKOTB.

Damn you Milo for pitching these against each other. Not sure. Probably the Foos as I listened to it all day every day on repeat at work one year

Damn it Milo!!!

Going with the Foos. Their second album launched them out of the shadow of Kurt, another album with exceptional songwriting quality across all the tracks.

Everlong has placed itself in the conversation when debating a greatest songs of all time list. Likewise, Monkey Wrench when debating greatest rock songs. Added to this, the beautiful pop punk sensibilities in Up In Arms, anthemic blast of My Hero and Hey, Johnny Park, and the delicate beauty of February Stars and Walking After You. Foos always know how to end an album, and New Way Home, the way it builds from tiny whisper and muted strumming into visceral screams and chaotic distortion, doesn't disappoint.

This album really put Foos on the way to GHod-like status. Although he didn't play on the album, it would introduce Taylor Hawkins as well, probably the best rock drummer out there today (bar maybe Dave Grohl ;) )

This album would easily be regarded as one of the best rock albums of the 90's, so has to be considered for best album.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

I'm going with the Foo's too

My logic being that MTV:U is a concert recording of tracks from multiple Nirvana albums and covers, it's brilliant but it shouldn't really be eligible

I'm going with the Foo's too

My logic being that MTV:U is a concert recording of tracks from multiple Nirvana albums and covers, it's brilliant but it shouldn't really be eligible
I'm leaning the same way for similar reasons. I love Unplugged, but the involvement of MTV is very un-Nirvana - even if they didn't play by the rules in terms of tracks chosen, etc.

On the other hand, as with Milo, they pointed me towards the work of Lead Belly, who will probably appear in my choices for the 10 songs thread when I get around to posting.

Back