• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best album of the 90's - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill vs Queens of the Stone Age

Which is the better album?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

milo

Jack L. Jones
Our eight pairing of the first round sees Lauryn Hill face Queens of the Stone Age.

Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

220px-LaurynHillTheMiseducationofLaurynHillalbumcover.jpg

The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill is the debut solo album by American recording artist Lauryn Hill, released on August 25, 1998, byRuffhouse Records and Columbia Records. After touring with her former group Fugees, Hill became involved in a romantic relationship with Jamaican entrepreneur Rohan Marley, and shortly after, became pregnant with his child. This pregnancy, as well as other circumstances in her life, inspired Hill to make a solo album. Recording sessions for the album took place from late 1997 to June 1998 mainly at Tuff Gong Studios in Kingston, as Hill collaborated with a group of musicians known as New Ark in writing and producing the songs. Primarily a neo soul album, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill incorporates musical styles from R&B, hip hop, soul, and reggae. Its lyrics touch upon Hill's pregnancy and the turmoil within the Fugees, along with themes of love and GHod. The album's title was inspired by the film and autobiographical novel The Education of Sonny Carson, and Carter G. Woodson's The Mis-Education of the Negro.

The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill debuted at number one on the Billboard 200 chart, selling 422,624 copies in its first week, which broke a record for first-week sales by a female artist. The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill produced three hit singles: "Doo Wop (That Thing)", "Ex-Factor", and "Everything Is Everything". Its lead single "Doo Wop (That Thing)" peaked at number one in the US, with the latter two singles peaking within the top 40. The album's success propelled Hill to international superstardom, and contributed to bringing hip hop and neo soul to the forefront of popular music. At the 41st Annual Grammy Awards, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hillearned 10 nominations, winning five awards, making Hill the first woman to receive that many nominations and awards in one night. By 2013, it had sold over 8 million copies in the US and over 19 million copies worldwide.

Critics generally praised The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill for Hill's presentation of a woman's view on life and love, along with her artistic range. New Ark, however, felt Hill and her record label did not properly credit the group on the album; a lawsuit filed by the group was settled out of court in 2001. Since the record's release, it has been ranked in numerous best-album lists, with a number of critics regarding it as one of the greatest albums of the 1990s, as well as one of the greatest albums of all time. In 2015, it was included by the Library of Congress in the National Recording Registry.

Vs

Queens of the Stone Age - Queens of the Stone Age

220px-Qotsa.jpg

Queens of the Stone Age is the self-titled debut album by American rock band Queens of the Stone Age. Following the collapse of negotiations with Roadrunner Records,[7] the album was released on September 22, 1998 on Loosegroove Records, operated byPearl Jam guitarist Stone Gossard. The album was primarily written and recorded by founding member Josh Homme and former Kyussdrummer Alfredo Hernández, and features a riff-oriented songwriting style that Homme subsequently dubbed "robot rock". Regarding this aesthetic, Homme stated, "I just wanted to start a band that within three seconds of listening, people knew what band it was."[8]

The album was re-released on March 4, 2011 in Australia through Liberator Music and March 7, 2011 in the UK through Domino Records. The US release occurred on May 17 and is available as a joint release through Homme's own label, Rekords Rekords with distribution from Ipecac Recordings. The release includes relevant b-sides embedded within the track listing, and was accompanied by a tour in support of the album.

Queens of the Stone Age are probably one of the few bands that are decent since guitar music stopped being good (pretty much when Oasis ruined it for all of us by playing Knebworth).

I don't think they'd have been as highly regarded had they been around a few years earlier, but they stuck out as a shining beacon during the death of music (and the rise of Moby).

My choice of the two though.

Sent from my SM-G925F using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Lauryn Hill was 100 times more important to rnb than QOTS has ever been to rock. It has to be a knock-out victory for Lauryn Hill! The ones that vote for QOTS must be blind to the importance of the Lauryn Hill album in its genre. QOTS are, in comparison, virtually insignificant.

Lauryn Hill was 100 times more important to rnb than QOTS has ever been to rock. It has to be a knock-out victory for Lauryn Hill! The ones that vote for QOTS must be blind to the importance of the Lauryn Hill album in its genre. QOTS are, in comparison, virtually insignificant.

influence doesn't = best

i do agree with your sentiment but purely in terms of which album is the best - it's QOTSA for me - it's possibly my favorite hard/heavy rock album

Personally, I'm sad to see Lauryn Hill go out, it is a cracking album and still sounds fresh. But votes are votes and QOFSA go through to the next round

Queens of the fudging Stoneage? I give up.... This is pointless. Then again, Donald Trump might become President

Sent from outer space

Back